New World Cup format confirmed for 2026

10 minutes ago, RP London said:

literally in the link that started this thread it says (I got it the wrong way round)

"The Kiwis and Kangaroos will head north to play England in 2027 and 2028 respectively."

nah, nowt in that article in the OP mate. Must be another one flying around. That's what confused me!

I'm really angry the next world cup in 2025 isn't Wales v England with sell out at millennium stadium and a close match decided in final minute with Wales having a squad of 30 full time players all born in Wales 

Followed by Ireland v Scotland at sell out Aviva stadium with 34 professional players all born in Ireland and Scotland on show 

😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

nah, nowt in that article in the OP mate. Must be another one flying around. That's what confused me!

Got it!

Was in one of the other articles. Both very similar

• Like 1

Got it!

Was in one of the other articles. Both very similar with slightly different detail! cheers

Got it!

Was in one of the other articles. Both very similar with slightly different detail! cheers

20 minutes ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

Next big question will it be England or Great Britan in the Ashes

The new World Cup format has pretty much killed off high profile international RL for Wales, Scotland and Ireland for the foreseeable future. Given the RFL's complete lack of desire to develop any high profile international competition for those home nations, I would honestly rather we revert to GB&I for everything. At least that would provide an inclusive team that people in all of the home nations could get behind. Limiting ourselves to England only means that any RL fans and/or players from those other home nations can't get involved. We're just doing the worst of all worlds at the moment - only England playing high profile games, and holding them in small northern stadiums. It's almost as though the RFL are deliberately trying to prevent anyone from outside of the heartlands from becoming engaged with our sport.

• Like 12

26 minutes ago, Dave T said:

apologies i had it open in the browser and assumed it was from the original post but it was from the one in the twitter feed on the third post... very similar off the same site... https://www.intrl.sport/news/ashes-series-kangaroo-kiwi-tours-revived-in-new-international-calendar/ 

the news is so good they've done multiple articles on it to confuse everyone!

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Got it!

Was in one of the other articles. Both very similar

23 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Got it!

22 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Got it!

did you find it 😄 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

The new World Cup format has pretty much killed off high profile international RL for Wales, Scotland and Ireland for the foreseeable future. Given the RFL's complete lack of desire to develop any high profile international competition for those home nations, I would honestly rather we revert to GB&I for everything. At least that would provide an inclusive team that people in all of the home nations could get behind. Limiting ourselves to England only means that any RL fans and/or players from those other home nations can't get involved. We're just doing the worst of all worlds at the moment - only England playing high profile games, and holding them in small northern stadiums. It's almost as though the RFL are deliberately trying to prevent anyone from outside of the heartlands from becoming engaged with our sport.

Yeah, GB is the big ticket - especially if the others aren't going to be playing. Good point.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

I think you're overstating it. "Killed off high profile international RL" actually means not playing in one tournament, albeit the biggest one. But they all just participated in a world cup - close to home - and it made next to no impact. Would I have preferred, say, a 12 team competition? Of course. But I don't think it's the biggest thing facing these countries. If - and of course it's a big if and we're rightly sceptical - the IRL follows through on it's promise for regional tournaments and RLWC qualifiers then that's a good amount of rugby for those nations matching where their development is at.

As for reverting to GB, I just think that ship has sailed in the post-devolution era and given there would be next to no non-England players involved, and the potential fan base is just miniscule, it wouldn't have the effect you're hoping for.          

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

GB is inclusive yes and other smaller sports just compete as GB.. (Im thinking water polo, ice hockey etc) is that really us? Will reverting to GB actually make us play in none northern towns? thats down to the RFL they dont have to do that with an England team, England has other places to hold internationals. 

What is the issue we really need to fix? if its just playing in northern towns then that isnt fixed by changing to GB thats a mentality shift at the RFL to put these games in Newcastle or London or anywhere else you can think of.. Yes if we had GB then Cardiff would be open to us but at the moment we cannot even be arsed to give a game to our own capital city and thats a mentality issue. 

If its to get players from "not England" involved or fans then ok maybe GB but how many of those are there really? and if we fix the above mentality issue we may actually gain more than this would do.

GB has a history and if we had stuck with it then I wouldn't have minded but I cannot see the worth in it at the moment.. if we did do it then we have to stick with it and forget about the home nations full stop (unless you could get England v wales as an origin type match at some stage in the future but as with NSW and Queensland they do not play other internationals).. but the thought of bringing GB back to then split again in the future if one other home nation gets strong enough would be terrible. 

• Like 3

I haven’t read all the comments above, but I like the 10 team format (16 gives too many blow outs and teams made up almost entirely of heritage players), especially if regional competitions will be strengthened. I really hope France are one of the 10.

I don’t like the move to the same years as the football World Cup, though that probably won’t have much of an impact in Australasia anyway. 

I’ll believe the Aussies are touring here when the first game kicks off. 

Edited by Eddie
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

I would honestly rather we revert to GB&I for everything. At least that would provide an inclusive team that people in all of the home nations could get behind. Limiting ourselves to England only means that any RL fans and/or players from those other home nations can't get involved.

I think scenes like Brian Carney bowing his head while God Save the Queen is played is also a great way to keep other fans away. It needs to change if GB&I returns.

• Like 2

I can live with the principle of making the World Cup more elite as long as that doesn't mean that non qualifying nations are abandoned.

But seeing world rankings used as qualifiers is disappointing as that suggests that minimal effort can continue and teams qualify. I get the principle of what they are aiming for, but when some countries are playing next to no RL it is really challenging. 

Ultimately, the problem with the plan, is that it really is just the window dressing that is addressed. The shop may look fancy and in good shape, but once you enter, the shelves are bare and goods lacking in quality.

The World Cup announcement is all a bit rubbish and isn't being driven by a strategy or it being the right thing to do. All the elite talk is ###### and an excuse, this just isnt the direction the game has followed since 2008 or we wouldnt have made a big thing of incrementally growing to 16. This is purely reactive and following what the NRL wants. NRL 2026 World Cup here we come.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 4

50 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

This last sentence really resonates. Especially when combined with IMG saying they don't want expansion (beyond Newcastle and London). An attitude all too often mirrored by some, albeit a minority, on here.

• Like 1

They've got two things right but everything else is as bad as it could be really.

England instead of GB for the Ashes is good. Not that it really appeals to me as an Aussie.

Stand-alone WC for the women is also a good thing.

I'm glad people are starting to wake up to the IRL's absolute incompetence. If you have had any dealings with them it is very apparent.

I wouldn't attend a 10-team WC if it was being held down the road. It's shamefully tin pot even for a notoriously small-minded sport.

We continue to be the stupidest and most reactionary sport in the world. Blowouts occur in every sport. We know that continued expansion works. Look at the RUWC. Much, much bigger blowouts historically. We will never reap the rewards of these blowouts because we then change it all up. We sow the seeds to a crop we won't even harvest because we suddenly have an appetite for a different variety.

The IRL needs to be nuked. It doesn't do anything. At the very least Truthful Troy needs to fall on his sword. 

We were promised a 12 year calendar and have got 6.5 years. Is the host in the Southern Hemisphere or is it going to shared out like in 2017?

I would honestly rather see this WC completely skipped and use the money to fund development officers in developing nations than a pathetic 10-team competition. 

• Like 3

new rise.jpg