Sat 2nd -Sun 3rd Sept: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

12 minutes ago, tim2 said:

Horribly dull game considering it was so close.

London were the better side but the skill levels on show, the mistakes and the endless lying on just drained any enjoyment.

Could that possibly be a factor of the stakes?

3 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Could that possibly be a factor of the stakes?

If even a close game makes me think that I can't be bothered to pay for the last two games, then something's wrong.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

2 minutes ago, sam4731 said:

What? Anyone can bottle anything if they're expected to succeed at something very heavily and then not succeed.

Fev were expected to prove themselves the best team in the league, and they have, over the duration of a season.

Over the course of that period, they have lost a couple of league games and a Challenge Cup game. It's perfectly possible they will lose again in the play-offs.

Saying a team has "bottled it" because they lose in a one-off game shows a fundamental misunderstanding of the effects of randomness.

Personally, I'm definitely concerned about Fev's prospects if they face Toulouse and the latter have close to a first choice 17, they beat us at Fev not because we "bottled it", but because they played better. I'd even say the same about Halifax, if they qualify for the play-offs, again they have beaten us twice because they were the better team, not because we "bottled it".

Again - it's a lazy, meaningless phrase.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, tim2 said:

If even a close game makes me think that I can't be bothered to pay for the last two games, then something's wrong.

Same here. I can take it or leave it at the moment. Missed today which was a battle for a play off position. In fact the next 3 are also. Maybe it’s the inevitability that Fev or Toulouse are the only realistic teams going up

8 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Fev were expected to prove themselves the best team in the league, and they have, over the duration of a season.

Over the course of that period, they have lost a couple of league games and a Challenge Cup game. It's perfectly possible they will lose again in the play-offs.

Saying a team has "bottled it" because they lose in a one-off game shows a fundamental misunderstanding of the effects of randomness.

Personally, I'm definitely concerned about Fev's prospects if they face Toulouse and the latter have close to a first choice 17, they beat us at Fev not because we "bottled it", but because they played better. I'd even say the same about Halifax, if they qualify for the play-offs, again they have beaten us twice because they were the better team, not because we "bottled it".

Toulouse will have no where near a top 17 players, at the moment it looks like the 2 kids who played yesterday will have to be in the team for the play offs!

1 minute ago, kiggy said:

Toulouse will have no where near a top 17 players, at the moment it looks like the 2 kids who played yesterday will have to be in the team for the play offs!

Hi Kiggy, I got the impression some of the players missing recently (Ralph etc) were out of an abundance of caution, plus a couple of players serving short-term suspensions recently?

I know Ashall-Bott, Rennie, maybe Jussaume are out for the remainder of the season, but who else?

22 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Almost every phrase in sport is lazy and meaningless.

3 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I make it 8 league wins out of 9 for London with their final 3 games at home (Widnes, Bradford and Keighley). Is it 2018 all over again?

For what it is worth I think you will finish third. Which will be an away playoff semi final in Toulouse... if you do manage to win it will probably be a final at Fev.

Win that and you would deserve to go up.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

York just got over the line today , but that was a hard watch both sides with errors aplenty, looking at today's results and the run in , haven to join Newcastle in league one.  The playoffs , I really haven't got a clue

2 hours ago, OdsalBull said:

Fighting in lumps at Odsal after a fev fan spits at a bulls fan.

thought we did ok but they just have more quality in some vital positions 

Did you see the Fev fan spitting at someone ? I don't know why they don't take any notice of the clubs warnings and they must see all the ###### on social media about Fev fans.

42 minutes ago, bigbaldnmad said:

For what it is worth I think you will finish third. Which will be an away playoff semi final in Toulouse... if you do manage to win it will probably be a final at Fev.

Win that and you would deserve to go up.

If London have to play in Toulouse they will struggle as there is no doubt the visas for at least 3 players will still not have been sorted which led to the first debacle in April! - when they played there they ended up with a bench of academy lads because no one could travel! It was a joke 

2 hours ago, Phil said:

Hugely surprised 

Except of course it was the Bulls doing the spitting.  But don't let the facts get in the way of a good anti Fev story

• Like 2

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.