League one final. Something a bit different.

For a change of direction I thought it'd be good for fans of both Dons and Cru to speak of how they found their clubs, neither of us being particularly traditional. 

For me in all honesty this is my 30th year properly supporting the Dons. The promotion season sucked me in when I was 17. My family had always supported the club but as a kid I spent most of my time in the sandpit at Tattersfield! Players like Vila Matautia, Jamie Bloem, Sonny Whakarou, Rocky Turner etc drew me in. I've seen some great players since then.

• Like 7

My dad grew up a short distance from Tattersfield. By the time he started watching them, The Dons had been in existence for around twenty (mostly lean) years. I began going to games around the time the club were changing from perpetual also-rans to something more competitive.

My family had moved to West Yorkshire by this point, so we went to away games almost as regularly as home fixtures. 

I now live in Finland and rarely get to games, but I'll be cheering us on from my sofa next weekend.

• Like 9

Minä rakastan rugbyliigaa!

I didn't so much find the club, it found me. The same can be said by the majority of Cru fans, as the club was only formed in November 2011, after the liquidation of the old Crusaders club.

Despite all the adversity we have been through over the years, we are the longest surviving semi professional club in Wales, something we are all incredibly proud of.

We are now down to a small band of loyal supporters and a board who are more like magicians than directors. We don't have two pennies to rub together, and for much of this season we didn't have a home ground, and the team spirit shown by our players this year is something that money can't buy, absolutely priceless.

While it would have been nice to see a few more fans there yesterday, and it would be nice to see a few more next Sunday, I wouldn't want to be anywhere else, or with anyone else.

Edited by fearnowt
  • Like 26

For all the latest news on North Wales Crusaders, please click on the link below to the new club website.

https://www.nwcrusaders.co.uk/

1 hour ago, fearnowt said:

I didn't so much find the club, it found me. The same can be said by the majority of Cru fans, as the club was only formed in November 2011, after the liquidation of the old Crusaders club.

Despite all the adversity we have been through over the years, we are the longest surviving semi professional club in Wales, something we are all incredibly proud of.

We are now down to a small band of loyal supporters and a board who are more like magicians than directors. We don't have two pennies to rub together, and for much of this season we didn't have a home ground, and the team spirit shown by our players this year is something that money can't buy, absolutely priceless.

While it would have been nice to see a few more fans there yesterday, and it would be nice to see a few more next Sunday, I wouldn't want to be anywhere else, or with anyone else.

Couldn't agree more.

Always thought that there could be a reasonable sized club at Doncaster with the right investment and strategy. 

It’s some story that North Wales have effectively played most of their games “away” this season and are in with a shout of promotion and games against Wakefield and Widnes next year. 

• Like 2

Like @fearnowt says following the collapse of Crusaders RL from superleague and getting a taste of rugby league in north Wales we wanted a club to follow. A lot of us campaigned to 'Save the Cru' and from then there was enough impetus to start again with a new Club in, what was then Championship 1. We had a steady first season and then went on to win the league with a 100% home record and win the Northern Rail bowl in the 2013 season. Promotion to Champoinship would have been more sustainable if the RFL hadn't moved the goalposts and demoted the bottom 5 clubs at the end of 2014. We'd spent big to stay in the Championship and financial problems followed. Every season since changes to the league status and structure hasn't helped. Amazingley the Club has held on through all their problems, but have still managed to produce a really successful Wheelchair Rugby League squad, a Womens team and host a range of mini Cru festivals this season. The best thing about standing with the Cru fans is the fun we have together, we love to sing, we love to cheer on our heroes and we always endeavour to represent the sport at its best.  Long may it continue.

Whoever wins on Sunday, Crusaders have had a tremendous season, given all the problems we've faced this season alone

• Like 9

I was born in the west riding so watched Feath, Wakey, Cas on a regular basis as a young lad. When I started work as a civil engineer it meant working away from home all the time and met the wife and when working near Wrexham. Celtic Crusaders came to the Racecourse and I watched a few games but for some reason couldn’t connect with them. After their demise North Wales Crusaders formed and I was watching a bunch of lads who were playing the game for the pleasure of it, I was immediately hooked. Since then Andy Moulsdale and the rest of the team have worked miracles to keep us going and no matter what the result this weekend I’ll have a season ticket for next season.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hopie said:

How has a team that won only 7 regular season games out of 18 made the final? I'm genuinely curious to know.

Because we finished in 6th place,which is enough to get in the playoffs.....then beat, Workington away, Oldham away and Hunslet away. Its really that simple!

Edited by gogledd
  • Like 1

in answer to the original question..... the last few weeks or so by having pretty much a full squad fit & able to play. The last couple of seasons we've finished 2nd and 3rd in the season, but gone into the playoffs with a knackered depleted squad and not fared so well. This year it's almost the mirror opposite, so have had a strong team and hit a bit of form at the right time.

My only regret is that I've not managed to get to any of the games this year what with one thing and another, but I'll be screaming at the telly on Sunday afternoon and singing along when I can hear the Cru fans during the coverage!! 🙂

cru....CRU....CRU-SA-DERS!!!!!

• Like 4

cru....Cru.....CRUSADERS!!!!!!

Just a quick question about Sunday.

Can anyone tell me where the Cru fans will be sitting in the stadium?

I'm looking at buying tickets in advance, and the website asks to select a block. With the seats being unreserved, are you meant to sit in the block allocated to the ticket, or can you sit anywhere available in the stadium?

Thanks.

For all the latest news on North Wales Crusaders, please click on the link below to the new club website.

https://www.nwcrusaders.co.uk/

Maybe if Donny win, they'll make a sequel to Another Bloody Sunday.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson