"I'm not watching anymore"

Six posts removed. One nonsense post about stuff that just doesn't happen, and then people following quoting it to make fun of it.

• Like 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

I don’t think people have walked away entirely from the sport, I think people find that too hard to do because of the routine that attending rugby league has become in their lives and it’s hard to break a habit. That said, I have heard of people who claim to only watch their team and not really watch Super League on TV. Whether that is true and the numbers support it, I’m not sure, but I have seen that claim on forums and social media. 

The demise of London Skolars will mean I watch a lot less RL than I did. If the game doesn’t pick up here it’s hard hard to see how I could continue to connect with it unless I fancied king train trips up north. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, EssexRL said:

The demise of London Skolars will mean I watch a lot less RL than I did. If the game doesn’t pick up here it’s hard hard to see how I could continue to connect with it unless I fancied king train trips up north. 

Do you think you’ll go to watch their SCL games mate? 

4 hours ago, Dredgie99 said:

My son walked away after the Bronco's blocked him on twitter for asking why they hadn't posted their score when they had lost a game. He went from being a Bronco's season ticket holder (upto 2019) to nothing, he doesn't even bother watching games on FTA (judging by Broncos crowds he isn't the only one)

Happened to several long-term Broncos supporters. They must have plenty to spare.

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

What a depressing thread.

Why are Rugby League fans so miserable?

I can't speak for anyone else but I spend most of my life in good humour and enjoying myself where possible. See my thread about realising what's important in life as a bit of evidence.

But discussing issues with the game and it's future - and any concerns therein is not "being miserable", it's debating things. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, hindle xiii said:

I watch some FTA games now. I also had a break from here. I don't go to Odsal anymore nor do I keep tabs on the Bulls.

One particular moment stuck out; a Hull FC prop (Taylor?) was sent off because Wigan's McIlorum fell into his elbow a few years ago. Granted other things were going on with me at the time, but I just wondered why am I getting so annoyed with something I'm supposed to enjoy on a Friday night. From then on the drift away began. I'm not even sure I remembered hearing when Catalans won the Challenge Cup. This post is a bit fragmented but that's when I stopped caring.

Watts it was, I seem to recall.

2 hours ago, ckn said:

Six posts removed. One nonsense post about stuff that just doesn't happen, and then people following quoting it to make fun of it.

Did you remove my post about why I decided to turn off games and enjoy other things? Seems a bit harsh.

57 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

I can't speak for anyone else but I spend most of my life in good humour and enjoying myself where possible. See my thread about realising what's important in life as a bit of evidence.

But discussing issues with the game and it's future - and any concerns therein is not "being miserable", it's debating things. 

Mostly it's just people moaning about stuff and being miserable though.

That's my impression.

It's a mindset. Glass is always half empty. 

This thread is a great example of it.

No solutions, just misery.

56 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

Did you remove my post about why I decided to turn off games and enjoy other things? Seems a bit harsh.

Yes we did because you were wanging on about politics and we don't do politics in this section of the forum.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Mostly it's just people moaning about stuff and being miserable though.

That's my impression.

It's a mindset. Glass is always half empty. 

This thread is a great example of it.

No solutions, just misery.

I’ve already stated my reasons for not being an active fan any more and it’s nothing to do with having a half empty glass, I just got fed up of kidding myself that it was somehow going to change and *this time* it was going to be different. Others are free to do as they see fit, of course. But for me it was a mixture of sadness and relief that I had stopped banging my head against the wall. 
I wish nothing but the best for the game and would be delighted to be proved spectacularly wrong on this.
And I’m still going to at least one of the England-Tonga games, so I’m still not completely free of the habit. 

32 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Yes we did because you were wanging on about politics and we don't do politics in this section of the forum.

It's a thread about why we may have drifted away.

In my case, it was a principled stand - and didn't affect my love of the game.

I am glad to have come back since they have binned doing what I referred to. I wish the SL had had your approach to the issue.

1 hour ago, Rioman said:

The wife reckons if we'd a quid for every time I've come back from a Wakey game and said " I'm not going again.", we'd have enough to buy the club.  Fifty years now and still going and still will be next season.

It’s what we do, Rugby League is like a disease you can’t get rid of!
I have loved it, hated it, loved it again, said what you said, but at the end of the day I buy my season ticket every year, look through all the results ,moan about what’s wrong with the game, but still keep coming back for more. If you tried to explain it to most sensible folks who haven’t been bitten by the bug they would think you were absolutely mad. But it’s what we love, really.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rioman said:

The wife reckons if we'd a quid for every time I've come back from a Wakey game and said " I'm not going again.", we'd have enough to buy the club.  

Very restrained of you to have only said it five times, given the club's fortunes in recent years. :kolobok_wink:

• Haha 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

28 minutes ago, sam4731 said:

"I'm not watching anymore because the game is terrible"

Less money from broadcasters because there are less viewers. Less money means less investment to fund a better, stronger game"

"I'm not watching anymore because the game is terrible"

Repeat

You are not a real fan then, it is about loving the game, warts and all, supporting your team through good and bad, we have never been given the recognition or funding from whatever source , tv or sponsorship that this great game deserves, it is what it is and always will be.

23 hours ago, RigbyLuger said:

Do any of those who say that about any decision made by the RFL actually follow through?

Other than he WC, I haven't watched a UK based RL game that hasn't been Fev in absolute years. 

21 hours ago, gingerjon said:

If I wasn't on this forum I doubt I'd follow rugby league in any meaningful way any more. It's invisible down here and notably fewer and fewer people who I interact with on social media obviously respond to it.

Like you, I know a lot of that is personal circumstances but ...

Same re the forum, of which the AOB and Political Boards are where i spend my time. I occasionally dabble in here, but as i'm not watching the games, there's no context for me. Luckily, the forum rarely talks about the rugby on the pitch 🙂

• Like 2

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

57 minutes ago, Expatknight said:

You are not a real fan then, it is about loving the game, warts and all, supporting your team through good and bad, we have never been given the recognition or funding from whatever source , tv or sponsorship that this great game deserves, it is what it is and always will be.

Just to be clear, that's not my opinion. I'm playing out a common theme.