Fri 29th Sept: SL Elim: Hull KR v Leigh Leopards KO 20:00 (Sky)

Who will win?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Hull KR
    • Leigh Leopards

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 29/09/23 at 19:30

There's no realistic scenario where a VR can give 'held up' when it is sent up as a try; you'd need some sort of Hawkeye to prove some part of the ball never touched the ground.

• Like 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

That's probably the wrong outcome for the Hall try as it looked like Mellor had his arm underneath, but it was weak play to turn over the ball and weak defending to allow Hall to get over the line. If Leigh had defended better that marginal call never has to be made, but it will be the officials who 'robbed' Leigh if that turns out to be decisive when there was ample opportunity to prevent Hall even crossing the line.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Bad call. If the on field ref didn't clearly see the ball grounded, it should have gone up no try, and then there would have been no compelling evidence of a try.

KR still well worth the lead though.

No it shouldn’t. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

Hall didn't get that down.

The video ref said it could be down, or it could be up. Always a hand under it. Bad call IMO.

I don't think it was conclusive and in those situations the attacker should get the call.

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

8 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

Not enough evidence to overturn the try, but that's tough on Leigh.

Surely if the referee can’t see that the ball has been grounded it should go up as no try and the leave it to the video ref to try and prove otherwise.

Edited by Jinking Jimmy
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

And in your opinion seeing exactly tge same as the VR?

Sorry, I don't understand your question.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Just now, Jinking Jimmy said:

Surely if the referee can’t see that the ball has been grounded it should go up as no try and the leave it to the video ref to prove otherwise.

Did the ref say 'I didn't see it on the ground'? If so, I agree. If not, we can only surmise. I agree though; I would have been overturning that one personally.

3 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Bad call. If the on field ref didn't clearly see the ball grounded, it should have gone up no try, and then there would have been no compelling evidence of a try.

KR still well worth the lead though.

Yeah, poor from the man in the middle. They way he phrased it, looking for confirmation, means that he thought it could have been held up. The better course of action would have been to send it up as a NO TRY, since he was obviously unsure.

A lack of sensible thinking under pressure from the ref, unfortunately.

2 minutes ago, Jinking Jimmy said:

Surely if the referee can’t see that the ball has been grounded it should go up as no try and the leave it to the video ref to prove otherwise.

But presumably he thought he had seen it being grounded, otherwise he wouldn't have given it as a try.

Only on the replay afterwards can you see that it almost certainly wasn't grounded and that the ref was mistaken in his belief.

51 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

Empty seats in the corner. Or is that the Leigh end where Harry and his entourage would have been?

The Leigh blocks. They sold 750 out of 1100, which ain’t bad at a week’s notice with that drive on a Friday night.

Although it took m f###### five hours from Oxford so they’re not getting any more credit from me 🤣

• Like 1

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

2 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

Did the ref say 'I didn't see it on the ground'? If so, I agree. If not, we can only surmise. I agree though; I would have been overturning that one personally.

"I've got a try. Just check some of the ball has touched the ground there please."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

I don't think it was conclusive and in those situations the attacker should get the call.

1 minute ago, Jinking Jimmy said:

The laws state that a ref cannot disallow a try because he didn't see it grounded.

From the notes on scoring.

Referee unsighted The Referee should not disallow a try because they were not in a position to see the grounding of the ball.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

4 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

Yeah, poor from the man in the middle. They way he phrased it, looking for confirmation, means that he thought it could have been held up. The better course of action would have been to send it up as a NO TRY, since he was obviously unsure.

A lack of sensible thinking under pressure from the ref, unfortunately.

That is not how the game has ever been reffed. The law states not seeing the ball grounded is not a reason to disallow a try. So if the ref believes hes got it down he should award the try even if he hasn’t actually seen it on the ground. 

Edited by bobbruce
  • Like 1

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

What did you think on the evidence you saw, same as the VR did?

It was inconclusive and, as the law states, the attacker should get the benefit of the doubt.

Just now, Just Browny said:

"I've got a try. Just check some of the ball has touched the ground there please."

Which, to be fair, could be interpreted as, ' I think it is a try, but need confirmation'. That's quite different to 'I'm not sure he got that down'. The ref made a reasonable call, the VR didn't think there was enough to overturn it. I did.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

The ref asked to check whether the ball got to the ground. He obviously had doubts. A boo-boo on his part, and the video ref essentially washing his hands of it is a pretty bad look.

I thought it was pretty clear that the hand was always under it.