Brazil v England ?

10 minutes ago, wiganermike said:

I don't know anything about it but I expect it will be the Community club rep team that would be playing Brazil. Any game v the full England team or England Knights would surely be too much of a bridge too far in terms of competitiveness for it to be of any use to either team. Brazil may still get beaten heavily by the Community rep team (I don't know what Brazil's ability level is) but such a match up is likely to be of more use than one vs fully pro players.

Why would you even contemplate that a Teir 1 nation could be playing against the 25th ranked International team?

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Why would you even contemplate that a Teir 1 nation could be playing against the 25th ranked International team?

Don't know if that's a tongue in cheek comment , but why shouldn't top nations play minor ones regularly. RU, RL and Cricket all have this notion of lesser nations having to earn their fixtures against the big boys. Football doesn't,  the top nations are compelled to play the lesser ones,  they don't like it but they play the Finlands and Slovenias and Albanias, and guess what,  these nations improve.  A lesson to he learned methinks.

Edited by HawkMan
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

It's a game against England Community Lions U18s, I believe.

What ever it is, I'm really glad it's going ahead and about time too.

Shame it's not a curtain raiser, on the big park before the Tonga game.

Perhaps they are worried about a wet weather mash up? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

I wouldn't contemplate it, as such a fixture would be ridiculous, though perhaps the wording of my earlier post suggests to you that I would (an error on my part). The logo for the full England team is the one being used by Brazil RL on the social media post shown, which is why I mentioned the professional England teams. I expect the badge was used as it is the easiest to find or because to people in Brazil promoting their game an England team is an England team.

I shall edit my earlier post. Thanks

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Don't know if that's a tongue in cheek comment , but why shouldn't top nations play minor ones regularly. RU, RL and Cricket all have this notion of lesser nations having to earn their fixtures against the big boys. Football doesn't,  the top nations are compelled to play the lesser ones,  they don't like it but they play the Finlands and Slovenias and Albanias, and guess what,  these nations improve.  A lesson to he learned methinks.

There is absolutely nothing to be gained from England playing Brasil in a full international. It wouldn't even be akin to England playing a really poor English amateur RL team. There are plenty of countries that Brasil can play that are more suitable for their stage of development.

As with most comparisons to Football what Football does in internationals is completely irrelevant.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fighting irish said:

What ever it is, I'm really glad it's going ahead and about time too.

Shame it's not a curtain raiser, on the big park before the Tonga game.

Perhaps they are worried about a wet weather mash up? 

The curtain raiser for England v Tonga game that day is England v Wales in a women's international.

(I think that's right)

• Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 hours ago, nadera78 said:

It's a game against England Community Lions U18s, I believe.

That sounds like a good match up then, that should provide a fairly even contest. 

I have no problem with Brazil promoting it as "England vs Brazil" to their home audience either. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mathius Hellwege said:

because it happens in every sport 

It does happen in some other sports but throwing rank amateurs in against top level professionals could be dangerous in rugby league, whereas in football or cricket it wouldn’t be. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eddie said:

It does happen in some other sports but throwing rank amateurs in against top level professionals could be dangerous in rugby league, whereas in football or cricket it wouldn’t be. 

Disagree, the main difference is pace of the game, the actual collisions are the same for the top amateurs as the pros. Infact a lot of top amateurs will be in the gym as often as the pros and a lot of them would have come through SL academys

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, yipyee said:

Disagree, the main difference is pace of the game, the actual collisions are the same for the top amateurs as the pros. Infact a lot of top amateurs will be in the gym as often as the pros and a lot of them would have come through SL academys

Surely if you increase the pace of the game, the speed and power of the collisions will naturally also increase?

I imagine the fitness levels attained by those amateurs in the gym in comparison to full SL players to be very different

9 minutes ago, Click said:

Surely if you increase the pace of the game, the speed and power of the collisions will naturally also increase?

I imagine the fitness levels attained by those amateurs in the gym in comparison to full SL players to be very different

Beyond which (and someone like @welshmagpie might know differently) I don't think the Brazil team will have anyone who came through a SL academy or that would be described as a 'top amateur'.

Edited by Barley Mow

11 hours ago, yipyee said:

Have you ever played RL 😂

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Click said:

Pace of the game not pace of the players , that would just be silly