Championship Meeting

15 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

This is about proposals to merge Championship and League 1, if agreed would it be conferences, a single league, number of games etc.

You just know that they'll make a mess of it.🙄

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

2 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

Season tickets are already on sale at many clubs for a certain number of games. They may tinker for 2025, but don't see how they can for 2024 this late.

Well, this is Rugby League.  Weird decisions abound.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

A bit of wild, baseless speculation but. This coming at the end of the period of exclusivity for negotiations with Sky and rumours they favour a 14 team SL, could we kill two birds with one stone by changing the divisions about a bit?

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

22 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

A bit of wild, baseless speculation but. This coming at the end of the period of exclusivity for negotiations with Sky and rumours they favour a 14 team SL, could we kill two birds with one stone by changing the divisions about a bit?

If Sky want a 14 team SL, they'll pay more money for it.

1 minute ago, Gomersall said:

I thought Sky paid for a set number of matches? 12, 14, 16 or however many in the league wouldn’t matter to them.

As they haven't paid for two more teams, I'd suggest that you're right.

And bearing in mind how often the teams at the bottom of the ladder appear, I'm thinking that 14 teams is not what they want at all.  Maybe 10.   Or 8.

1 hour ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

Well, it's been more than 30 days...

While I get why people slate Mick Gledhill, in this instance surely everyone knows what he means by pyramid, even if RL doesn’t have one per se, well not one that teams automatically move up and down between all levels each year anyway. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

I thought Sky paid for a set number of matches? 12, 14, 16 or however many in the league wouldn’t matter to them.

I don't think that's strictly true though. If we cut the league down to six teams but tried to sell the same number of games to Sky do we think the value would stay the same?

Playing devils advocate, they might be saying that they want to show the same number of games but shared between 14 teams instead of 12 because it gives them what they want in terms of subscribers. I don't know but I think the idea that the number of clubs is completely unimportant to them is unrealistic. 

• Like 1

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

3 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

I don't think that's strictly true though. If we cut the league down to six teams but tried to sell the same number of games to Sky do we think the value would stay the same?

Playing devils advocate, they might be saying that they want to show the same number of games but shared between 14 teams instead of 12 because it gives them what they want in terms of subscribers. I don't know but I think the idea that the number of clubs is completely unimportant to them is unrealistic. 

I’d have thought 14 teams would increase viewing figures, for the novelty factor alone. I may be in the minority but I’d probably prefer to watch Toulouse v Fev on a Friday night than yet another Wire v Wigan or Hull v Leeds game. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, RigbyLuger said:

Season tickets are already on sale at many clubs for a certain number of games. They may tinker for 2025, but don't see how they can for 2024 this late.

2025 will be too late for L1 clubs. 8 home games is not sustainable; hence the meeting to look at different formats.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

Hi Keith, Did you not read the published letter that was sent to Salford fans re funding:-

This is the bit about central funding

We’ve been told that next years’ distributions will likely, best-case, top out at around £1.31m – almost £200k less than was discussed during the realignment process with the RFL and around £800k less than they were just six years ago. Our given agreement to realign was contingent on the assurance of £1.5m.

This reduction – alongside a further near £100k reduction to 2023’s distributions that we were told about last week – creates an approximate £300k shortfall for us over the next 12 months. This has been known for 8 months, which is particularly aggravating given the lengths to which we’ve gone to in ensuring the Club’s welfare in that time.

I replied

"Well that will Piff on Chips for all those who hope for a 14 team SL, those additional two teams would further reduce the 'Top Out' funding by another £90,000, which in itself doesn't look all that much but added to the 800K that was awarded to each SL club just 6 years ago represents a 42.1% funding reduction from £2.11M, to £1.22M ouch!"

Obviously my views, but Sky have decided the amount that they are paying for the broadcasts, The RL/SL then decide how those monies will be proportioned, so if SL wants to increase to 14 teams then it will be the present incumbents voting for a further drop as explained above than they will already recieve, not a snowball in hells chance of that happening.

Edited by Harry Stottle
  • Like 1