Sat 7th Oct: SL S/F: Wigan Warriors v Hull KR KO 12:45 (Sky/Channel 4)

Who will win?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wigan Warriors
    • Hull KR

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/10/23 at 12:15

30 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Rovers have stopped defending now, this has Wembley 2015 written all over it. But that was a side of average players, this isn’t. Very disappointing, but that’s rugby league. If you only have one set in possession in the first 20 mins, games can run away. 

Ah well… onward to 2024!!

First time in a long time I've seen Rovers just give up. They're normally such a resilient side I honestly thought they'd have a crack today but the game was all over before they had the ball in their hands.

That was only a marginally better performance than the bunch of kids and reserves put in at Wigan the week before Wembley.

• Like 1

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

5 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Hull KR defence has been excellent all season. Anyone who understands the game doesn’t judge something like that on one game, especially one where the defending side only had one possession in the first 20 minutes. That’s how it goes sometimes. 

Fair enough, but, today,  the tackling was shocking and the line-spread was shocking.

Kenny Dowall is coaching at the club next season. First job; I think he needs to sort the defence out. KR's point difference is 150 points worse than the top three.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

4 minutes ago, Ullman said:

First time in a long time I've seen Rovers just give up. They're normally such a resilient side I honestly thought they'd have a crack today but the game was all over before they had the ball in their hands.

That was only a marginally better performance than the bunch of kids and reserves put in at Wigan the week before Wembley.

That’s a wild misread. In the first half they worked their way back into a competitive position, when they could have given up with the scoreboard ahead of the clock. They earned a chance in the second half.

In the second half they were unfortunate to concede quickly, due to errors not due giving up. They had an awful 10 mins after that, but when we all feared Wigan could easily stick another 3 or 4 tries on in the final 25 mins, they regrouped, got their heads right and held out again. That takes heart, and we appreciated it. 

• Like 3

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

Just now, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

That’s a wild misread. In the first half they worked their way back into a competitive position, when they could have given up with the scoreboard ahead of the clock. They earned a chance in the second half.

In the second half they were unfortunate to concede quickly, due to errors not due giving up. They had an awful 10 mins after that, but when we all feared Wigan could easily stick another 3 or 4 tries on in the final 25 mins, they regrouped, got their heads right and held out again. That takes heart, and we appreciated it. 

I think that's a very rose tinted spectacle interpretation.

Rovers were out of their depth.

• Like 1

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

KR didn't do themselves justice today and (whilst I'm personally very happy with the result and think that Wigan deserve a lot of credit for their performance) I can't help but feel that this may have been a case of 'a game too far' for them.

They and their fans should be incredibly proud of their season and I look forward to seeing what they bring to the party next season.

• Like 2
The%20Warriors%2060.jpg

Just back from the match. Fair play to the huge numbers of KR fans that made the trip today. They put some of the "bigger" clubs to massive shame with that following today.

As far as the game went, I expected KR to be better but Wigan blew them away before they had even touched the ball. 8 Minutes in before they got the ball in their hands.

Nice to come back and see the usual male genitals about slowing the ruck down, blah, blah, blah. As I understand it Wigan are the least penalised team in the league this year but if you read this forum you would think they are giving 200 penalties away each game.

Onwards. I think it will be a lot different next week.

• Like 1

I'm surprised at the result today as I expected it to be much closer and Hull KR to be a much stronger test. They've looked very strong this season in all of the games that I've seen of them but they just looked a bit off today.

Not sure if a win like that is a good or bad thing really as preparation for the final.

So my initial thoughts after that game are that Greta Thunberg is clearly on to something with this ol' global warming thing because I should not be melting in the East Stand in October!! Where's the miserable Autumn playoff weather?

I was expecting a tight game but Rovers didn't really play to the standards they are capable of. While Wigan started well we were very much allowed to start well. Early on the line speed from Rovers was really poor and they seemed a bit disorganised. We scored some fairly simple tries and a lot of that came from not being put under enough pressure. If you allow Wigan time on the ball you're going to get punished. Put us under pressure and we can make some errors but that never really happened.

Massive credit has to go to the Rovers travelling fans though. The best away support I've seen at the DW except for Saints. A credit to their club and they made for a good atmosphere and the DW always looks a lot better with the North stand filled.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

great crowd 15,160 about 4000 from hull an excellent effort, wigan will have to much attack for catalan and win with 18.

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

59 minutes ago, Ullman said:

I think that's a very rose tinted spectacle interpretation.

Rovers were out of their depth.

Rovers were beaten by a better side, who finished 1st in the table for a reason, and who played very well today. In rugby league you lose rugby matches, and can lose badly if you have a long period without possession. It happens. But Rovers weren’t out of their depth, we’ve beaten every single team this season bar Warrington and on another day could have won today. 

We just lost. That’s sport. Good luck to Wigan in the final, certainly the best performance we’ve had against us all year. 

• Like 1

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

32 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

How many from east Hull?

We sold 4,400

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wolford6 said:

Fair enough, but, today,  the tackling was shocking and the line-spread was shocking.

Kenny Dowall is coaching at the club next season. First job; I think he needs to sort the defence out. KR's point difference is 150 points worse than the top three.

We gave up 60 points picking the reserves against Wigan before the cup final, and had 5 weeks mid-season where we couldn’t buy a try after Abdul’s injury, until we flew Schneider over to rescue the season.

I see Rovers every week and Delaney’s defensive impact is a key reason why we’re 4th despite that horror run. One bad performance doesn’t mean you have a bad defence, it means you had a bad day. 

5 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

We gave up 60 points picking the reserves against Wigan before the cup final, and had 5 weeks mid-season where we couldn’t buy a try after Abdul’s injury, until we flew Schneider over to rescue the season.

I see Rovers every week and Delaney’s defensive impact is a key reason why we’re 4th despite that horror run. One bad performance doesn’t mean you have a bad defence, it means you had a bad day. 

Fair enough.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

In all of this, the thing to remember is that two former great clubs who have languished in the lower reaches of the game for a number of years, are now back in regular contention. Both Leigh and Hull KR made it to the semi finals, something  that was unthinkable only a few years ago. That has to be good news. If they can do it, so can others.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Jim Prendle said:

Just back from the match. Fair play to the huge numbers of KR fans that made the trip today. They put some of the "bigger" clubs to massive shame with that following today.

As far as the game went, I expected KR to be better but Wigan blew them away before they had even touched the ball. 8 Minutes in before they got the ball in their hands.

Nice to come back and see the usual male genitals about slowing the ruck down, blah, blah, blah. As I understand it Wigan are the least penalised team in the league this year but if you read this forum you would think they are giving 200 penalties away each game.

Onwards. I think it will be a lot different next week.

Exactly , you get away with it , today from what I saw ( first half only ) you didn't need to , HKR were rubbish 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, my missus said:

great crowd 15,160 about 4000 from hull an excellent effort, wigan will have to much attack for catalan and win with 18.

So, less than 11,000 from the home team. Like last week’s Sts v Wire game not great IMO. Luckily Hull KR fans travelled in numbers to beef the attendance up for Wigan.

Edited by Gomersall

3 hours ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Rovers were beaten by a better side, who finished 1st in the table for a reason, and who played very well today. In rugby league you lose rugby matches, and can lose badly if you have a long period without possession. It happens. But Rovers weren’t out of their depth, we’ve beaten every single team this season bar Warrington and on another day could have won today. 

We just lost. That’s sport. Good luck to Wigan in the final, certainly the best performance we’ve had against us all year. 

Run of the mill league games are one thing. When you get to this stage it's another level and your team clearly weren't anywhere near good enough.

If Wigan hadn't taken their foot off the pedal in the last quarter it would have been an even bigger humiliation.