Sat 7th Oct: SL S/F: Wigan Warriors v Hull KR KO 12:45 (Sky/Channel 4)

Who will win?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wigan Warriors
    • Hull KR

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/10/23 at 12:15

I was disappointed that Hull KR didn't perform better and the first 20mins they made key errors/discipline that eased Wigan to good field position and as a result a commanding start.

I just thought KR seemed to be flagging arms/asking for decisions in almost every PTB or tackle that screamed to me they didn't have the focus on the play to bring the concentration and intensity needed to challenge Wigan.

Never-the-less they have had a good season.

Edited by redjonn

3 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

If they used him more and he calmed himself he would be an England regular imo.  
I wish Hull had him!

Good shout, mate. He's gone backwards under Peters.

• Haha 1

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

3 hours ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

We gave up 60 points picking the reserves against Wigan before the cup final, and had 5 weeks mid-season where we couldn’t buy a try after Abdul’s injury, until we flew Schneider over to rescue the season.

I see Rovers every week and Delaney’s defensive impact is a key reason why we’re 4th despite that horror run. One bad performance doesn’t mean you have a bad defence, it means you had a bad day. 

You obviously know a lot more than I do about your team's strengths and weaknesses but Opacic looked like a really good defender to me until Schneider turned up. Something has gone wrong there and opposing teams are getting a lot of joy from attacking that channel.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

18 minutes ago, Ullman said:

Run of the mill league games are one thing. When you get to this stage it's another level and your team clearly weren't anywhere near good enough.

If Wigan hadn't taken their foot off the pedal in the last quarter it would have been an even bigger humiliation.

Take your succour where you can mate, but seriously it’s a delusion… none of it will make you feel any better about 10th spot and a club treading water at best. 

Hull KR had an excellent season, and got knocked out of the comp in a semi-final by the best side in the league, who are on a hot streak of form, at home. I’ve got no issue with that, it’s sport and I’m a grown up man who’s seen far worse. We’re more than capable of beating Wigan when we play well, and have done. We’ve even done it in another semi-final.

So no, your somewhat salty perspective doesn’t get anywhere near undermining what I’ve seen over 27 rounds with my own eyes. This journey is great. 

• Like 1

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

Just now, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Take your succour where you can mate, but seriously it’s a delusion… none of it will make you feel any better about 10th spot and a club treading water at best. 

Hull KR had an excellent season, and got knocked out of the comp in a semi-final by the best side in the league, who are on a hot streak of form, at home. I’ve got no issue with that, it’s sport and I’m a grown up man who’s seen far worse. We’re more than capable of beating Wigan when we play well, and have done. We’ve even done it in another semi-final.

So no, your somewhat salty perspective doesn’t get anywhere near undermining what I’ve seen over 27 rounds with my own eyes. This journey is great. 

You couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

10 minutes ago, Ullman said:

You obviously know a lot more than I do about your team's strengths and weaknesses but Opacic looked like a really good defender to me until Schneider turned up. Something has gone wrong there and opposing teams are getting a lot of joy from attacking that channel.

Schneider had a poor game today, in attack and defence. It’s a real shame because his arrival saved our season after our spine got decimated. But players have bad games eh, I still think he’ll have a great career. 

But he isn’t at Rovers next year… the comps best stand-off will be there instead! 

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

1 minute ago, Ullman said:

You couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

I do think your words show a certain wishful thinking, but maybe I’m wrong. C’est la vie. Hell, I love it when Hull lose - you might just be better than me! 🤣🤣🤣

Really surprised how poor Hull KR were today. Their centres are generally 2 of the best defensive centres in the comp but both Opacic and SKD had absolute shockers. 

My main question is, is Abdull still carrying an injury? Because he’s much better than Schneider so I really don’t understand why he’s not playing ahead of him

2 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

I do think your words show a certain wishful thinking, but maybe I’m wrong. C’est la vie. Hell, I love it when Hull lose - you might just be better than me! 🤣🤣🤣

We both know the score, mate. I enjoy the rivalry when it's done with a sense of humour and you always manage to keep yours 👍

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, my missus said:

great crowd 15,160 about 4000 from hull an excellent effort, wigan will have to much attack for catalan and win with 18.

3 hours ago, Gomersall said:

So, less than 11,000 from the home team. Like last week’s Sts v Wire game not great IMO. Luckily Hull KR fans travelled in numbers to beef the attendance up for Wigan.

15,160 -4,000 is less than 11,000?

Are you my accountant?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

7 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Are you my accountant?

I think you might have missed the post that said Rovers had sold 4,400 tickets.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ullman said:

I think you might have missed the post that said Rovers had sold 4,400 tickets.

In that case apologies to @Gomersall

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I was confident going in to today (and I’m never confident) and it was well placed. The team have just looked so focussed and determined over the last couple of months and when they’re in that place, we have points in us. 

I have to give huge credit to HKR and their fans. It wasn’t their day but they’ve been class this year. The ambition they’ve shown and the way the fans have backed them gives me hope that the sport as a whole can thrive. It went wrong today but very few KR fans left the ground and they showed their appreciation at the end. The club is going nowhere and look strong going in to 2024.

Finally, looking at next week, it could go either way. I’m confident we’re a faster and fitter team than Catalans and I think we have more individual threat but Catalans have Micky Mac, Mitchell Pearce and Sam Tomkins. They know exactly what it takes to win big games and they won’t panic. I think that big game experience is worth a 6 point start and we’ll have to turn that around. I think it’ll be a cracking game. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Are you my accountant?

sorry was just guessing north stand hold 4200 and wasn't full

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

8 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Are you my accountant?

Sorry for the confusion. I posted first after someone said Rovers took 4,000. I then edited my post to highlight a sub 11,000 figure after HKB posted that Rovers had sold 4,400 tickets. I hope you weren’t chuckling at the Hull education system.

• Like 1

May be an image of 1 person and text that says "WELCOME HOME BOYS connexin TROPHY 2023 DODGERS 西000 EDITION #SINCE1985 connavin"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

4 minutes ago, Jinking Jimmy said:

He should have referred it to the video ref straightaway.

Not really , he thought ( as I did watching it ) that Field had touched it , Field was adamant he hadn't , and that is what he asked to be checked , the VR then correctly overturned the no try on pitch call , exactly how it should have worked at Leigh 2 weeks ago 

If it had shown Field had handled it , then the ref is well within his rights to ignore any further ' claims ' from any Wigan player , maybe we should call it ' Captains Challenge ' ? , or something like that 😉

13 hours ago, WN83 said:

I have to give huge credit to HKR and their fans. It wasn’t their day but they’ve been class this year. The ambition they’ve shown and the way the fans have backed them gives me hope that the sport as a whole can thrive. It went wrong today but very few KR fans left the ground and they showed their appreciation at the end.

Just watched the game, and came on here to write something similar. Thought their fans were brilliant after the defeat at Wembley, and again yesterday. 

Coming into this year, with a large cloud hanging over my heart condition, I could not see beyond another Saints procession, and more years (which I might not have had) before we caught up. How wrong I was, happily, on every front. Since the start of the year: 

- we have been bought by a billionaire; 

- we have regained full control of our ground again, as our owner owns the lot; 

- on the pitch, we have integrated French as an excellent 6, thus giving us a wonderfully balanced spine of Field, French, Smithies, O’Neill and Smith (the last 3 home grown talents coming on a treat); 

- we have got the best out of Mago and replaced Singleton with Dupree, with the effect that we now have size and the ability to do real damage up front, freeing up time and space for that spine to strut its stuff; and 

- we have recruited brilliantly, with Thompson, Walters, Dupree, Leeming, Kheighran and Chan in for Singleton, KKP (sad to see him go), Powell, King (good luck to him) and the forgotten man Cust. That is trading up everywhere. 

I know Wigan’s success is not generally welcomed, and can understand that, after our unprecedented period of dominance in the 90s (a long time ago). But we haven’t won that much yet, and are far from certain to win next week, or anything next year. I do think that we have done what I have been frustrated about for years - work towards Saints level standards across the club. We have invested in quality, and retained most of our own best talent, and have sorted out our back office. And we have improved massively under a young British coach, playing attacking rugby. 

Edited by Exiled Wiganer
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Not really , he thought ( as I did watching it ) that Field had touched it , Field was adamant he hadn't , and that is what he asked to be checked , the VR then correctly overturned the no try on pitch call , exactly how it should have worked at Leigh 2 weeks ago 

If it had shown Field had handled it , then the ref is well within his rights to ignore any further ' claims ' from any Wigan player , maybe we should call it ' Captains Challenge ' ? , or something like that 😉

I have to disagree. The fact that he got it wrong surely suggests that he should have referred it to the video ref straightaway to check it. Had he not done (after protest) then the wrong decision would have been made and a fair try would have been disallowed.

Edited by Jinking Jimmy

11 minutes ago, Jinking Jimmy said:

I have to disagree. The fact that he got it wrong surely suggests that he should have referred it to the video ref straightaway to check it. Had he not done (after protest) then the wrong decision would have been made and a fair try would have been disallowed.

So refer every try to VR as we see in football , simple as 

The no try at Leigh got referred , and was still wrong , your opinion on that ? , or is it only Wigan ' no trys ' you want reviewing ? 😂

Edited by GUBRATS
  • Haha 1