Newcastle Thunder

34 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

True, but if he's effectively handing back the club in the state he took it on - and is personally a few hundred thousand quid lighter - you can't ask much more than that.

Yeah it may not be finishing in the best way but he undoubtedly put in far more than he took out. Newcastle spent and did way more than would have been possible without his backing. Leaving the club debt free after that is not something to be knocked at all.

• Like 7

21 hours ago, Gav Wilson said:

In fairness these two deals were done long before Thunder announced their withdrawal. 

How many players do they have contracted for next season? There are a couple signed for Rochdale I believe and I expect other clubs have been picking through the bones. Have to wonder what sort of a squad they would be able to put together if they do ‘return’

15 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

How many players do they have contracted for next season? There are a couple signed for Rochdale I believe and I expect other clubs have been picking through the bones. Have to wonder what sort of a squad they would be able to put together if they do ‘return’

I don't think it really matters, just getting a team into the league is huge for Newcastle. Get a season done and rebuild.

• Like 7

17 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

Any ideas on what grounds they are look at? 

Coach Lane Campus is the only ground mentioned so far. But that does tie in with Northumbria University and their very successful university team. Really at the moment it's a case of giving ourselves a chance of playing in League One.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

Thanks Phil. Don’t know Coach Lane. I went to the other place in the city so know Cochrane Park. 

Cochrane Park is just round the corner from Coach Lane campus, literally 5 minutes walk.

• Thanks 1

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Back in the day when Thunder started they got 75k from central funding, last season 15k, now possibly less when the deal kicks in.

I admire people fundraising and good luck all, BUT raising money for one season is not enough you need about  £120,000 a season to compete at a basic level. I think.a few more teams will struggle next season.  Just me a Grinch.

• Sad 1

50 minutes ago, newbe said:

Back in the day when Thunder started they got 75k from central funding, last season 15k, now possibly less when the deal kicks in.

I admire people fundraising and good luck all, BUT raising money for one season is not enough you need about  £120,000 a season to compete at a basic level. I think.a few more teams will struggle next season.  Just me a Grinch.

You're right.   A lot of folk who contribute will be sending a fiver or a tenner.   Just once.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

6 hours ago, newbe said:

Grinch or realist? Only thing id disagree on is the word ‘more’. I think every club in league 1 struggled, just that some survived while others didnt.

The survivors are all on life support…just a matter of which clubs have it switched off.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, newbe said:

That was one of the biggest points made to us and why we are targeting our own fans first as we don't want to be in this situation this time next year.

Part of this process is going to the RFL with a viable business plan. Whatever we do has to not only be sustainable now but for the future. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Phil W said:

That was one of the biggest points made to us and why we are targeting our own fans first as we don't want to be in this situation this time next year.

Part of this process is going to the RFL with a viable business plan. Whatever we do has to not only be sustainable now but for the future. 

Massive respect to you and all the others who are fighting to keep the club afloat Phil 👊

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

Newcastle launch membership scheme:

Newcastle Thunder today launched its new membership scheme aimed at securing the club’s financial future and offering the best possible chance of competing in 2024. With over 50% of the six figure amount now secured from sponsors, partners and central funding the club is looking to the membership scheme to provide the majority of the remaining finances required.

https://www.thunderrugby.co.uk/article/789/newcastle-thunder-membership-pledges-

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

This looks like good news:

- Application to formalise participation in L1 being made.

- Staying at Kingston Park

- Chris Thorman continuing as head coach.

https://www.totalrl.com/newcastle-thunder-latest-as-stadium-head-coach-recruitment-and-application-process-laid-bare/

Excellent news, really hope they get sorted.

• Like 4

I always hoped that Thunder could be resurrected in some shape or form, but didn't envisage they would then continue to play out of Kingston Park!

I wonder if Kurdi is showing some remorse for pulling the plug so spectacularly a few weeks ago, or it represents just another income source for him and his beloved Falcons?

I was at the meeting last night and a lot of credit has to go to those that have got us this far. People who genuinely love the sport and didn't want to lose it and are doing this while working full time. 

From a fan's perspective I just want to see a team on the pitch representing the north east, there will be bumps along the way but as long as we make it we have a team to watch!

• Like 29

11 hours ago, Pigeon Lofter said:

I always hoped that Thunder could be resurrected in some shape or form, but didn't envisage they would then continue to play out of Kingston Park!

I wonder if Kurdi is showing some remorse for pulling the plug so spectacularly a few weeks ago, or it represents just another income source for him and his beloved Falcons?

Don't want this thread to drift into cross-code territory, but you might want to have a look at the Falcons' start to the RU season (and the under-cap budget they're running on) before suggesting that Mr Kurdi is lavishing lots of love on them.....

Very glad that Thunder have a decent home, and can only  guess that the rent to be charged is very reasonable (given the club's obvious financial constraints for 2024)

• Like 1

It doesn't actually confirm that they'll be playing at KP, is says that "provisionally" they will. Suggests that a rent figure has been agreed with Kurdi but the club now need to see whether can they raise enough funds to cover that. 

• Like 1

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally