The IMG Gradings Thread - Post all your IMG Gradings related questions or comments here

2 minutes ago, crashmon said:

I'd be astonished if Leigh drop out unless they have a awful season next year.  I think Leigh are 100% going to be in top 6 next year, and are an outside bet for finishing top at the end of the regular season.

I can see Leeds finishing 2nd bottom just above London however, now they know they are Band A and safe from ever getting relegated

Leeds 2nd bottom? what makes you think that, we have recruited well, I don't think we'll be winning any silverware but 2nd bottom is highly unlikely.

With regard to the digital score could someone confirm if I'm understanding it correctly or not:

The SM platforms used are Facebook, Instagram, You Tube, Twitter and Tik Tok.  You total up your followers/ subscribers.

An Engagement is any reaction to a post on the above be that a comment, a share, a like or a dislike.  Total them up.

Web site visits is what it says on the tin.

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

3 minutes ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

It's the owners intentions, he wants to win it rather than just go up on the back of a spreadsheet. 

Everybody wants to win stuff.

But if they do go up, it'll be on the back of a spreadsheet and that's how it'll be from now on.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

2 minutes ago, Griff said:

Everybody wants to win stuff.

But if they do go up, it'll be on the back of a spreadsheet and that's how it'll be from now on.

Well, it might be both, the same as London will likely be both (although knowing they are down will of course impact how they approach the season and lead to a self fulfilling situation).

They will then please the IMG acolytes and get them off the hook.

30 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

1. Hopefully that will be the case and IMG will take the appropriate steps to make sure that everything is above board, but if they don't as I said previously expect clubs that are missing out by a miniscule number to raise it legally as high as they can, we know how long things of nature can take and if that compromises the start of the following season that will purely be down to IMG and RL Commercial.

2. You also said "you will also know that new processes very rarely work the first time that you try them out" next year will be the first time the process goes "live" so to speak, it will also be a definitive for a club(s) so it needs to be accurate.

1. as you say "IF" .. thats a word doing a lot of lifting there.. in the same way as IF you aunt had... you know where this is going.. I get it but we can go round in circles on that, which is what is generally happening on this thread. 

2. indeed which is why (as I also said in the post, why i think its best to leave a full post in to quote and not clip it where possible) they have done the indicative gradings this year to iron out those issues. 

6 minutes ago, Jill Halfpenny fan said:

With regard to the digital score could someone confirm if I'm understanding it correctly or not:

The SM platforms used are Facebook, Instagram, You Tube, Twitter and Tik Tok.  You total up your followers/ subscribers.

An Engagement is any reaction to a post on the above be that a comment, a share, a like or a dislike.  Total them up.

the way they are doing it is in one of the appendices.. it shows where they will be taking the date by platform. 

15 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

So what position do you calculate Leigh will have to reach next year to give them a chance.

Impossible to say. I think to maintain the score recieved this year for performance, assuming we don't win the CC again, we would have to finish 5th again. But that just maintains current score, and we need to improve on our score, and improve on it at a better rate than Toulouse, Wakefield and/or Cas. Both Wakey and Cas will likely get an extra point for the stadium when Wakey open the new stand and Cas do whatever patch up job they do.

We probably need to find an other 1 to 1.5 points somewhere to stay in Super League for 2025. It won't come from attendances, because it's impossible to boost our three year average above 7500 while 2022 figures are used. So need to hope it will come in a combination of Finance, Digital and the community foundation. 

7 minutes ago, Jill Halfpenny fan said:

https://www.rugby-league.com/uploads/docs/Grading Handbook (Final Version).pdf

if you look from page 35 it gives the details in there - its quite in depth as to how to pull the data correctly from each platform

1 minute ago, Chrispmartha said:

https://www.rugby-league.com/uploads/docs/Grading Handbook (Final Version).pdf

if you look from page 35 it gives the details in there - its quite in depth as to how to pull the data correctly from each platform

That's where I was looking.  Just wanted confirmation I was understanding it correct.

2 minutes ago, phiggins said:

Impossible to say. I think to maintain the score recieved this year for performance, assuming we don't win the CC again, we would have to finish 5th again. But that just maintains current score, and we need to improve on our score, and improve on it at a better rate than Toulouse, Wakefield and/or Cas. Both Wakey and Cas will likely get an extra point for the stadium when Wakey open the new stand and Cas do whatever patch up job they do.

We probably need to find an other 1 to 1.5 points somewhere to stay in Super League for 2025. It won't come from attendances, because it's impossible to boost our three year average above 7500 while 2022 figures are used. So need to hope it will come in a combination of Finance, Digital and the community foundation. 

taking the club out of this completely but actually doesn't it sound good that a club would concentrate on those 3 things and build a real strength in the club going forward rather than just going "right I'm going to throw all my money into the players".. I know we are arguing about the specifics of gradings etc and I dont disagree there are issues and some clubs will miss out due to a spreadsheet.. But if clubs really do look at it like this and say we need to strengthen those types of areas then the sport will be in a much healthier place.. 

Dons tin helmet and Kevlar and runs to the Anderson shelter (reference there for you @Harry Stottle 😜

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RP London said:

taking the club out of this completely but actually doesn't it sound good that a club would concentrate on those 3 things and build a real strength in the club going forward rather than just going "right I'm going to throw all my money into the players".. I know we are arguing about the specifics of gradings etc and I dont disagree there are issues and some clubs will miss out due to a spreadsheet.. But if clubs really do look at it like this and say we need to strengthen those types of areas then the sport will be in a much healthier place.. 

Dons tin helmet and Kevlar and runs to the Anderson shelter (reference there for you @Harry Stottle 😜

I'm not saying the club are concentrating on those specific areas. Just that in the absence of the club releasing their score breakdown, it's difficult to comment on what the areas of improvement are.

The anomaly of the "current year" clause on cup bonuses makes it difficult to improve the on field score over the 22-24 period. And the bandings for attendance score means an increased score there is impossible until 2022 figures drop off. So, the extra points needed will need to come from the areas we don't see readily. Hopefully it happens.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Well, it might be both, the same as London will likely be both (although knowing they are down will of course impact how they approach the season and lead to a self fulfilling situation).

They will then please the IMG acolytes and get them off the hook.

They might achieve both but they will be promoted only on their grading.

• Like 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

20 minutes ago, phiggins said:

If Leigh were to finish in 5th or higher and found they had insufficient grading point and hence became relegation candidates I just think the grading system would be debunked, changed or scraped.  

1 minute ago, Gav Wilson said:

I think this is a reflection of your own mindset more than anything else. 

Absolutely and a great point.

It really shows the difference between wanting to strive to be better and just wanting to cling on in SL and make up the numbers. It's a attitude we have seen since the start of SL.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Pulga said:

This is precisely why they have been given a year to get themselves in order.

Not quite what I meant. There is a year for clubs to get used to the scoring and to improve their scores.

The system itself - the thing that needs much better stress-testing - is surely fixed in stone for 2025.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

So what position do you calculate Leigh will have to reach next year to give them a chance.

This is a back of a fag packet calculation.

Your current three year figure would be 12th, 13th and 5th.  12+13+5=30/3 =10.

Check the RL record keepers to see if the above is correct.

10th position should give you 2.9714 points. Add on the 0.25 for the challenge cup win and you are on 3.2214 points.

If next season you finish 6th you'd have 13+5+6= 24/3 =8.

So 6th place should have you finishing around 8th in the overall table.

Without knowing how everybody else has done the above would be an estimate.

8th place would give you 3.2000 points.

So finishing 6th would likely give you less points than this season.

AFTER POSTING THIS I THOUGHT ON ABOUT NEWCASTLE>

SEE BELOW

Edited by Jill Halfpenny fan
additional text

2 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

Does anyone know whether London - currently #24 - would be relegated from SL to L1 if they drop to #27?

No - gradings only apply for SL.

For some reason the system is so integral to the sport - that for Champ and L1 promotion and relegation will likely be settled on the pitch.

9 minutes ago, Jill Halfpenny fan said:

This is a back of a fag packet calculation.

Your current three year figure would be 12th, 13th and 5th.  12+13+5=30/3 =10.

Check the RL record keepers to see if the above is correct.

10th position should give you 2.9714 points. Add on the 0.25 for the challenge cup win and you are on 3.2214 points.

If next season you finish 6th you'd have 13+5+6= 24/3 =8.

So 6th place should have you finishing around 8th in the overall table.

Without knowing how everybody else has done the above would be an estimate.

8th place would give you 3.2000 points.

So finishing 6th would likely give you less points than this season.

Just thought on, if Newcastle are out next year that has us down to 34 clubs.

That would change the increment from 0.1143 to 0.1176.

Thus 6th place finish for 8th overall would reduce your figure to 3.1765 points.

Best win the damn thing just to be sure.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

Does anyone know whether London - currently #24 - would be relegated from SL to L1 if they drop to #27?

We don't even know if there will be a League 1.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)