Sat 28th Oct: International: England v Tonga KO 14:30 @ Huddersfield (BBC)

Who will win?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• England by 13 points or more
    • England by 7 to 12 points
    • England by 1 to 6 points
    • Tonga by 1 to 6 points
    • Tonga by 7 to 12 points
    • Tonga by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 28/10/23 at 14:00

Just now, SUPERSTUD said:

If you enjoyed the quality of that match then good on you. It was terrible. Tonga have played side to side football in both games asking very little of the English defence. No real go forward, attacking shape, deception etc. A complete borefest. We are still miles behind the main players.

You are totally missing the point, it wasn’t a great match played in bad conditions but its still an English RL win against quality opposition in a first time tour for them, it should be celebrated not derided.

I doubt other sports are so dismissive and negative about there games and test matches.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

RL fans - we need to be playing more international games and it would be good to get more decent International teams.

First full tour for a tongan side with NRL stars and we win the series.

RL fans - this is rubbish 

English rugby league fans often seem embarrassed by success. We took on a team full of NRL and Super League players and, yes, Tonga didn't play well today but we did what we needed to do. We should be proud of having one of the best international teams.

It's one reason that I think a more novice crowd for these matches would be more appreciative of success, especially in two close matches like the ones we have seen.

• Like 8

Attempting to deflect from the rubbish that has been served up.

I am sorry you didn’t enjoy it. I thought that the game reflected the conditions and what England needed to do to beat strong opponents. I watch a lot of sport, and find there is more skill and excitement in any of our games than in any other sport.

• Like 2

Just now, Chris22 said:

English rugby league fans often seem embarrassed by success. We took on a team full of NRL and Super League players and, yes, Tonga didn't play well today but we did what we needed to do. We should be proud of having one of the best international teams.

It's one reason that I think a more novice crowd for these matches would be more appreciative of success, especially in two close matches like the ones we have seen.

Yes, should have been in London or somewhere where they might appreciate an English team winning a series.

1 minute ago, Chrispmartha said:

You are totally missing the point, it wasn’t a great match played in bad conditions but its still an English RL win against quality opposition in a first time tour for them, it should be celebrated not derided.

I doubt other sports are so dismissive and negative about there games and test matches.

Look you are entitled to your opinion and if you are satisfied then fair enough. I just think that Tonga are a very very poor unit. Tell me what they offer apart from a bit of chest puffing. Their attacking systems are dire. The faces in the crowd said it all. 

Oh, and congratulations to Mike McMeekan, who just let slip he's getting married tomorrow!

Cue several pages of "rubbish ceremony, lousy choice of hymns, the organist hit a wrong note in the recessional, that vicar's from Wigan, call that confetti? etc."

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I am sorry you didn’t enjoy it. I thought that the game reflected the conditions and what England needed to do to beat strong opponents. I watch a lot of sport, and find there is more skill and excitement in any of our games than in any other sport.

Other sports would be bigging up a test series win.

• Like 6

Look you are entitled to your opinion and if you are satisfied then fair enough. I just think that Tonga are a very very poor unit. Tell me what they offer apart from a bit of chest puffing. Their attacking systems are dire. The faces in the crowd said it all. 

That Tonga team is packed full of NRL players, it wasn’t a great game of open RL, you might have noticed it was peeing it down?

Again you are really missing the point.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I accept that I am on a downer from the get go. I just can’t get myself up for these kind of games. The opposition in this case do not test us enough. 

2 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Oh, and congratulations to Mike McMeekan, who just let slip he's getting married tomorrow!

Cue several pages of "rubbish ceremony, lousy choice of hymns, the organist hit a wrong note in the recessional, that vicar's from Wigan, call that confetti? etc."

You forgot one:

Look how many empty seats there are in the church. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

11 minutes ago, SUPERSTUD said:

If you enjoyed the quality of that match then good on you. It was terrible. Tonga have played side to side football in both games asking very little of the English defence. No real go forward, attacking shape, deception etc. A complete borefest. We are still miles behind the main players.

Give the guy a you are responding to a little credit, he is a Leeds fan and used to watching side to side football this season.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If anything highlights the importance of the international game to the future of Rugby League, it's the proliferation of trolls on TRL that starts to build around the end of any club season that is followed by a test series or RWC.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

He doesn’t need to deflect anything his team has just won a test series.

Accepted. TBH I have just had a good chat with myself and realised that I am the problem. I have a fascination for bish bash bosh test matches and I am unable to accept that they will never return. 

Atmosphere does play a huge part in perception. The atmosphere was flat today at Hudds - for whatever reason. Had that game been played in front of a full house of vocal RL fans for the full 80, the negative feelings would be far more minimal. IMHO.

Many on here - myself included - often look at other sports that are far less entertaining and played at a far lower standard than RL, but who are able to generate positive perceptions when a large vocal crowd plays a key part.

Hopefully a full house of vocal RL fans at Headingly next week.  I'll be there, and hoping to witness an England 3-0 series victory.

• Like 7

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

5 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

You forgot one:

Look how many empty seats there are in the church. 

Southerners just don't like weddings

• Haha 2

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk