I saw a christmas tree yesterday

On 09/11/2023 at 10:51, Mumby Magic said:

Well I've started working for myself slowly but surely doing house clearances on a small scale. Anyway I cleared a womdns old kids stuff etc so she can put the Xmas tree up to surprise her husband.

You've got me wondering where she'd have to put it up to really surprise him.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

On 08/11/2023 at 08:37, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I was in Cleethorpes. I think that could be the earliest I've ever seen one up. You seen one yet? 

One neighbour has had theirs up since at least 31st October (when I first spotted it, they usually wait till 1st Nov). Another out Thurs up on the 5th.

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/11/2023 at 16:43, graveyard johnny said:

I saw some pumpkins on a doorstep in York today - And its almost a year till Halloween! beat that!

Tesco are selling eggs, flour and milk and its not Pancake till February.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

On 08/11/2023 at 09:34, The Masked Poster said:

I saw three, in near proximity in Bradford on November 1st. Fully lit up, the works. 
What is wrong with people? And what is wrong with advertisers? They are spoiling a nice time of year 

You can tell I'm getting old by how much this annoys me. It's been getting earlier and earlier and feels like we're slowly but surely heading towards Halloween decorations down and Christmas decorations up for half the population.

My official justification is that it ruins Christmas by stretching it out to the point that everyone is sick of it when it finally arrives. There is truth to this. After the 25th, there is very little tolerance for Christmas music and people want the decs down as soon as.

In reality, I think I'm actually being very judgemental and think it means you're an idiot if you can't have the patience and self-control to not put up your decorations in November.

There I've said it. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

You can tell I'm getting old by how much this annoys me. It's been getting earlier and earlier and feels like we're slowly but surely heading towards Halloween decorations down and Christmas decorations up for half the population.

My official justification is that it ruins Christmas by stretching it out to the point that everyone is sick of it when it finally arrives. There is truth to this. After the 25th, there is very little tolerance for Christmas music and people want the decs down as soon as.

In reality, I think I'm actually being very judgemental and think it means you're an idiot if you can't have the patience and self-control to not put up your decorations in November.

There I've said it. 

You’re absolutely correct though, it’s not just being an old grump; it’s getting completely ridiculous. And as you say, most of these people are tearing down the decorations come Boxing Day. It completely ruins what should be a nice celebratory few days.

We were having a quick walk last night and were going to go for a drink in a local pub…..until we looked through the window and saw they had Xmas decorations up! Nah, we gave it a swerve! The first of December is still a bit too early for me -but at least it’s actually December!!

Edited by The Masked Poster

Advent begins on the 4th Sunday before Christmas, so that seems a reasonable first date to get the tinsel and lights up. Then take it all down by the 5th of January (12th Night).

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Christmas would be much better if it was more like the world cup and the olympics - held once every four years and even then no mention of it till mid December 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

18 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

There I've said it. 

Late 50's/early 60's when I was a nipper xmas eve no tree up and no decs , came down in the morning to open presents but first had to marvel at the transformation of our lounge into an xmas wonderland.

I think those in favour say it is to bring some joy at a bleak time of year. I, however, also think a big part of it is to be seen or noticed, perhaps without realising it. A concept which has become more prevalent in the last decade or so. There are a couple of streets in Wyke (BD12) that really make an effort later on, it is worth a visit.

15 minutes ago, hindle xiii said:

I think those in favour say it is to bring some joy at a bleak time of year. I, however, also think a big part of it is to be seen or noticed, perhaps without realising it. A concept which has become more prevalent in the last decade or so. There are a couple of streets in Wyke (BD12) that really make an effort later on, it is worth a visit.

It’s great to bring a bit of joy. But for 2 months? This just makes it watered down and pretty boring. I actually saw a house fully decorated for Halloween in early September. Like, what’s the obsession with this? 

Middleton in Leeds is bad for this in my experience!

• Like 2

On 23/11/2023 at 17:59, The Masked Poster said:

It’s great to bring a bit of joy. But for 2 months? This just makes it watered down and pretty boring. I actually saw a house fully decorated for Halloween in early September. Like, what’s the obsession with this? 

This exactly. As someone who often vocalises my feelings on this, I get accused of being a killjoy and I should just let people be happy.

My answer is always to do with when actually is ridiculous then? Is it not-ridiculous if somebody puts up their decorations in June or even April? They have the right to do so, and I have the right to say it's ridiculous.

I can remember being a child and it being a talking point because somebody who lived on my nan's street had put them up on the first of December. This is now somewhat late.

The Covid Christmas year was one where people went really early, and a lot of people argued about how they deserved a bit of joy after a tough year. I argued that they would then just do it that early every year and so it went.

I don't really blame the masses, who just incrementally follow the crowd. It is the outliers I get annoyed at, who end up pushing it closer and closer to early November and then making others feel like they should too.

In my experience from a teaching perspective, it tends to be parents who are incredibly soft and baby their children.

• Like 2

On 23/11/2023 at 17:59, The Masked Poster said:

You think you're offended, but wait 'til the fun-sponges see that you've begun a sentence with "Like". :kolobok_wink: 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

What if I'm enjoying myself moaning about it?

I should never forget, for a moment, that this is a rugby league forum, should I?

• Haha 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)