Kevin Sinfield's latest fund-raising challenge

The guy is an absolute legend is "Sir Kev". As a fellow Oldhamer myself I'm so proud of what he's done for such a fantastic cause. When you see him with Rob there's true friendship there. What a guy he is. Get him knighted. Oh,and a legendary player too.

• 4 weeks later...

Yesterday, inspirational words after finishing day 1 in York. He's in Cardiff today.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just a reminder of the donation link: https://donate.giveasyoulive.com/fundraising/kevin-sinfield

Quarter of a million raised so far on Day 2.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Would you accept a title from the current regime? It would always have a taint of corruption, deserved or not.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Ralph Waldo Emerson

9 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Would you accept a title from the current regime? It would always have a taint of corruption, deserved or not.

Can't agree with this at all.

If Sinfield received another honour under the current government, no way would I consider that honour to be tainted. 

It would always be, and only be, associated with his achievements. 

• Like 10

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

5 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

If Sinfield received another honour under the current government, no way would I consider that honour to be tainted. 

Absolutely agree with you. Whether Sinfield would accept such an award is purely up to him.
But to suggest that it would be implicated in any form of corruption or anything sinister, based purely on that posters political persuasion is in tin foil hat territory. We might as well suggest that the 85 year old lollipop lady doesn’t accept her OBE for services to the community.

Sometimes people really do spend too much time on the internet by themselves. 

• Like 6

Went to the Alex to cheer him off this morning. There was a decent crowd there considering it had snowed overnight and was freezing. 

He really is an inspiration and he is right, we should all be a bit kinder to one another.

I'm a 42 year old bloke with kids and when Kev nodded in my direction as I shouted "Go on Kev" on his way past I was the starstruck kid watching one of my heroes again. 

How he can combine coming across superhuman and totally normal at the same time is one of his amazing qualities. I hope this raises millions. 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Everyone would know how well it was deserved though.

He chatted away to no end of people at York and it was bloody freezing.  Champion guy deserving of a knighthood.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Everyone would know how well it was deserved though.

He chatted away to no end of people at York and it was bloody freezing.  Champion guy deserving of a knighthood.

He's also been doing short fun-runs every day with MND sufferers. Because the daily ultra-marathon just isn't enough, when he can do more.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 hours ago, Futtocks said:

He's also been doing short fun-runs every day with MND sufferers. Because the daily ultra-marathon just isn't enough, when he can do more.

That's one way of describing it I guess.

He is running a marathon a day (7 in 7) plus the "extra mile" each day that others can join him in, to encourage people to go the metaphorical extra mile to help out a mate.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 03/12/2023 at 08:13, Dunbar said:

You are spot on plus any honours are technically awarded by the King

• Like 1

Not sure if this has been discussed on here before, re Sinfield being Knighted and the reason(s) it hasn't happened, but I've definitely read about it somewhere. He was awarded an MBE in 2014 and apparently it's 5 years until you can be added to the honours list again. In 2021 he was awarded an OBE - so if this is true then he couldn't be awarded a Knighthood until 2026. I've just tried googling if any such 'rules' definitely exist but it's not very clear.