Next season confirmed... Almost

The Art of Hand and Foot

Clubs couldn't organise season tickets, sponsorship or contracts until the decision was made either way. My view is that the RFL just didn't want to ruffle the feathers of the championship clubs if they could delay things for 12 months. From expansion clubs to series for the  national team to central funding they just seem to dither and lack any direction.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, shaw llewellyn said:

Clubs couldn't organise season tickets, sponsorship or contracts until the decision was made either way. My view is that the RFL just didn't want to ruffle the feathers of the championship clubs if they could delay things for 12 months. From expansion clubs to series for the  national team to central funding they just seem to dither and lack any direction.

Precisely! Does anyone know what they want the league structure to look like in 5 or 10 years time and what strategies they are putting in place to achieve that vision? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Interesting to read on the Batley forum that their Chairman Kevin Nicholson says they are expecting a £35k reduction on funding but could be more and in essence that would be really bad for them. Expecting to run a smaller squad and rely on DR. 

No wonder they were so protective and didn’t want a larger Championship 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, shaw llewellyn said:

Interesting to read the report from Salford that if they were to lose superleague status their funding would drop from 1.31m to 50k. How do the rfl expect the game to thrive and expand when there is such a massive gulf in funding?

More chance of them going out of business than losing their SL status as they are the highest B graded team. The game is shrinking and they (RFL and IMG) don't care about anything outside of SL. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, shaw llewellyn said:

And now it appears Cornwall have been "asked" not to participate in 1895 cup as it is too far for teams to travel. Only the RFL could come up with this. 

It was the Championship teams that asked Cornwall not to enter the 1895 Cup to be fair, as no one fancied the trip down there. Not a good look though, as they wanted to be in it.

Edited by OL14.yeds
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, OL14.yeds said:

It was the Championship teams that asked Cornwall not to enter the 1895 Cup to be fair, as no one fancied the trip down there. Not a good look though, as they wanted to be in it.

In addition to leaving an 8/9 team division in League, it's another complete embarrassment for the game.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With regards to Cornwall and the reluctance of championship sides not wanting the expense of travelling, what about the likes of Newcastle and Workington having to travel possibly twice next season - at their own expense with no support from the RL.

It's no wonder RL is the laughing stock of the sporting world. IMG must be laughing all the way to the bank - doing nothing for big bucks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, jroyales said:

With regards to Cornwall and the reluctance of championship sides not wanting the expense of travelling, what about the likes of Newcastle and Workington having to travel possibly twice next season - at their own expense.

Or even Cornwall themselves having to make the journey "up north " every other week. Its embarrassing. 

Edited by shaw llewellyn
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, shaw llewellyn said:

Interesting to read the report from Salford that if they were to lose superleague status their funding would drop from 1.31m to 50k. How do the rfl expect the game to thrive and expand when there is such a massive gulf in funding?

you could have asked L1 clubs why there is such a massive gulf in funding at any time

• Like 1

On 10/11/2023 at 14:17, Happyed said:

Strange how some clubs, media and commentators seemed to think it possible tho 🤔 perhaps they don’t have your incredible insight 

Which ones from the Championship said so?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

23 hours ago, jroyales said:

With regards to Cornwall and the reluctance of championship sides not wanting the expense of travelling, what about the likes of Newcastle and Workington having to travel possibly twice next season - at their own expense with no support from the RL.

It's no wonder RL is the laughing stock of the sporting world. IMG must be laughing all the way to the bank - doing nothing for big bucks.

How much are they being paid, and when?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

19 hours ago, Happyed said:

Bingo! I think you’ve finally hit the point 👏

And you have completely missed mine - well done, keep it up.

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

Another game against Hornets!   😿

“League One clubs in seven groups of three teams, with the top team in each group – plus the best-performing second-placed team going forward to the quarter finals.”

AB Sundecks 1895 Cup group stage fixtures

Round One (28 January)

Workington Town v Barrow Raiders                         

Keighley Cougars v Dewsbury Rams         

Newcastle Thunder v York Knights            

Oldham RLFC v Halifax Panthers                

Hunslet RLFC v Featherstone Rovers                        

North Wales Crusaders v Swinton Lions 

Midlands Hurricanes v Doncaster RLFC   

Round Two (4 February)

Whitehaven RLFC v Barrow Raiders                          

Dewsbury Rams v Bradford Bulls                               

York Knights v Wakefield Trinity 

Rochdale Hornets v Halifax Panthers       

Batley Bulldogs v Featherstone Rovers

Swinton Lions v Widnes Vikings

Doncaster RLFC v Sheffield Eagles

Round Three (18 February)

Workington Town v Whitehaven RLFC

Keighley Cougars v Bradford Bulls

Newcastle Thunder v Wakefield Trinity

Oldham RLFC v Rochdale Hornets

Hunslet RLFC v Batley Bulldogs

North Wales Crusaders v Widnes Vikings

Midlands Hurricanes v Sheffield Eagles

1 hour ago, Anita Bath said:

So are newcastle in, or are they out?

Exactly what I was thinking. I guess the RFL are assuming they're in until they're not!!!!

No players, I'm assuming no ground. Will take some organising in such a short time frame.

Edited by The Art of Hand and Foot

1 hour ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Exactly what I was thinking. I guess the RFL are assuming they're in until they're not!!!!

No players, I'm assuming no ground. Will take some organising in such a short time frame.

Oldham managed it twenty odd years ago 

• Like 1