Magic Weekend

10 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Hearing noises its at Elland Road next year.

Terrible venue if true. It’s a bit of a dump and not in a great area for stuff to do.

Every time I think I hear the most depressing piece of news coming out of rugby league in this country, something comes along to top it.

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, sam4731 said:

Every time I think I hear the most depressing piece of news coming out of rugby league in this country, something comes along to top it.

It might even be worse if the other rumour ive heard is true.

The dates that got ‘leaked’ showed all the games on one day.

Now that would mean using two stadiums!

5 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

And people are complaining that Ridley Scott’s Napoleon gave them bum ache at the cinema!

Imagine sitting through all that lot at Elland Rd.

Maybe the category A clubs get to use the category A stadium 😉

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

3 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

There was talk of Magic Weekend getting scrapped for 2024. I know it sounds like a conspiracy theory, but I wonder whether the idea is to make the event so unappealing so it becomes easy to scrap it in 2025.

I usually think well intentioned goofs are the order of the day with our RL administrators rather than sly cunning…

3 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

And people are complaining that Ridley Scott’s Napoleon gave them bum ache at the cinema!

Imagine sitting through all that lot at Elland Rd.

You won't need to.

Aren't all SL games on television next year ?  With no novelty value they'll be lucky to break even

12 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

I think if this is the case, calling it "Magic Weekend" would be grounds for false advertising on two accounts.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, del capo said:

You won't need to.

Aren't all SL games on television next year ?  With no novelty value they'll be lucky to break even

Oh yeah, tbh I’m no fan of double or triple headers.

I can’t think of many grounds in the U.K. that are set up for this kind of event.

I went to the first ever Magic Weekend at Cardiff but that was enough.

23 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

There was talk of Magic Weekend getting scrapped for 2024. I know it sounds like a conspiracy theory, but I wonder whether the idea is to make the event so unappealing so it becomes easy to scrap it in 2025.

Exactly what happened to the Northern Rail Cup and Summer Bash so hardly far fetched.

Elland Road is just an utterly disastrous choice of venue from literally every angle possible. Does the job for an international, but for 6 games over a weekend? I really despair sometimes. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Exactly what happened to the Northern Rail Cup and Summer Bash so hardly far fetched.

Elland Road is just an utterly disastrous choice of venue from literally every angle possible. Does the job for an international, but for 6 games over a weekend? I really despair sometimes. 

Totally agree for this sort of event it really is a poor choice in its current state.

• Like 2

I live in the same city and would probably skip this event at that ****hole. It was bad enough when Leeds have played occasional games there but an entire round...

Elland Rd is so fundamentally unsuited to this sort of event in location, surrounding area and quality of stadium that it's impossible to believe this rumour has any legs to it at all.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, M j M said:

I live in the same city and would probably skip this event at that ****hole. It was bad enough when Leeds have played occasional games there but an entire round...

Elland Rd is so fundamentally unsuited to this sort of event in location, surrounding area and quality of stadium that it's impossible to believe this rumour has any legs to it at all.

Ill go to the leeds game but there’s no way I’m sitting inside Elland Road all day with nothing but a dodgy pub outside.

At this point, given the recent Tonga tour as well, it's right to ask: if the people in charge of RL were deliberately trying to run down rugby league, how would their event calendar, venue choices, match day experience etc look any different to what they are actually doing?

• Like 13

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Dreadful.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.