Magic Weekend

1 minute ago, marklaspalmas said:

250 replies and I've not read them all, so scuse me if it's been pointed out, but......

Elland Road is obviously a decision that's been taken by IMG to ensure one of their medium term goals is met.

No more MM, no more loop matches, bin the SL name.

IMG don't make any decisions. They offer advice, which SL chooses to either heed or ignore.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

I normally support the RFL against fans criticism until (or if ever) the facts  are known, based on the eternal truth that fans of any sport are always, often irrationally, critical of governing bodies.

However, on this occasion, I'm prepared to make an exception. What a stupid bloody idea! Wrong time, wrong place, wrong idea. 🤬🤬🤬🤬

Well then thats conclusive, if you say it's not good then that's good enough for me🤔

Magic is a wonderful concept. It really is. The NRL do it for a reason and Union will follow.

The problem has been the execution over the last decade and Elland Road as a choice is the tip of an extremely smelly iceberg. 

The game is contracting as all the other leading sports are looking to expand, at least commercially. Internationally we're dead in the NH, IMG is dividing an already small fan-base and i for one have zero thought of pumping any money or time into British RL in 2024. 

There is a real negative energy within the game at the moment and other than new leadership, i have no idea on how positivity returns.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

16 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

250 replies and I've not read them all, so scuse me if it's been pointed out, but......

Elland Road is obviously a decision that's been taken by IMG to ensure one of their medium term goals is met.

No more MM, no more loop matches, bin the SL name.

IMG do not make decisions like this for the RFL, people need to stop scapegoating.

Anyway selfishly having thought about it a bit more it probably means I will go to both days because its a lot easier for me to attend as its just down the road, that's not me saying its a good idea by the way just thinking more about it.

Elland road also has a lot of space around the stadium, if they have any kind of sense both the stadium owners and the RFL could build a bit of a mini village with bars and food stalls from local producers.

I bet this doesn't happen though.

16 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

IMG don't make any decisions. They offer advice, which SL chooses to either heed or ignore.

It's incredible. We're paying somebody for advice that we then ignore anyway. No doubt people at the RFL have been heard to say "but what about if we only eat a little bit of yellow snow"

7 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

There is a real negative energy within the game at the moment and other than new leadership, i have no idea on how positivity returns.

I actually disagree, there is a lot of positivity coming from quite a few clubs, RL fans are always miserable so and sos, twas ever thus.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Magic is a wonderful concept. It really is. The NRL do it for a reason and Union will follow.

The problem has been the execution over the last decade and Elland Road as a choice is the tip of an extremely smelly iceberg. 

The game is contracting as all the other leading sports are looking to expand, at least commercially. Internationally we're dead in the NH, IMG is dividing an already small fan-base and i for one have zero thought of pumping any money or time into British RL in 2024. 

Why would Union copy when they already get some big crowds for their double header? Its a step backwards. We essentially copied that concept and because we lacked the confidence to sell just two matches just lumbered in all of the matches together in typical stack them high fashion.

Edited by Damien

1 minute ago, Chrispmartha said:

IMG do not make decisions like this for the RFL, people need to stop scapegoating.

Anyway selfishly having thought about it a bit more it probably means I will go to both days because its a lot easier for me to attend as its just down the road, that's not me saying its a good idea by the way just thinking more about it.

Elland road also has a lot of space around the stadium, if they have any kind of sense both the stadium owners and the RFL could build a bit of a mini village with bars and food stalls from local producers.

There’ll be one bloke yelling, “Albatross, get yer Albatross!”.

As a vehicle for growing the game's fandom MW has failed. Even Newcastle failed,  its irrational to think otherwise, if it had been a success then The Thunder wouldn't now be in trouble. IMG wanted MW scrapped the clubs said no, this might be a compromise and a test to see if MW really has a future. If there really is an appetite for the event holding it in a 40,000 seater stadium in the heartlands should be a winner. Maybe some people on here think Elland Road is a dump but that can't be used as an excuse for a low attendance, if it really was that bad it wouldn't get packed out every fortnight. Perhaps IMG's perception of MW is tainted by the rows of empty seats at Newcastle,  and if Elland Rd produces a great atmosphere and Sky are happy, then MW could become a TV event rather than a " get new fans by getting them to go watch it live " event. Elland Rd might be the future. But if its a dud then that conclusively means the appetite for MW is just not there. Whatever the perceived shortcomings of ER, this must succeed if the event is to continue.

Edited by HawkMan
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

I actually disagree, there is a lot of positivity coming from quite a few clubs, RL fans are always miserable so and sos, twas ever thus.

Are you happy with the direction of the sport in Europe?

8 minutes ago, Damien said:

Why would Union copy when they already get some big crowds for their double header? Its a step backwards. We essentially copied that concept and because we lacked the confidence to sell just two matches just lumbered in all of the matches together in typical stack them high fashion.

There was a fella on radio suggesting so earlier. Again, if i specifically look at the NRL and the espoused benefits to Brissy, i wouldnt rule it out.

7 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

As a vehicle for growing the game's fandom MW has failed. Even Newcastle failed,  its irrational to think otherwise, if it had been a success the The Thunder wouldn't now be in trouble. IMG wanted MW scrapped the clubs said no, this might be a compromise and a test to see if MW really has a future. If there really is an appetite for the event holding it in a 40,000 seater stadium in the heartlands should be a winner. Maybe some people on here think Elland Road is a dump but that can't be used as an excuse for a low attendance, if it really was that bad it wouldn't get packed out every fortnight. Perhaps IMG's perception of MW is tainted by the rows of empty seats at Newcastle,  and if Elland Rd produces a great atmosphere and Sky are happy, then MW could become a TV event rather than a " get new fans by getting them to go watch it live " event. Elland Rd might be the future. But if its a dud then that conclusively means the appetite for MW is just not there. Whatever the perceived shortcomings of ER, this must succeed if the event is to continue.

It'd be interesting to understand the impact of Magic in Newcastle on the crowd we had for the WC opener, which was very promising.

We'll never know as the strategy is about has joined up as my 4 year old's long johns he's come home in this aft. The fact that we're deciding Magic year on year also points to a completely reactive tactical fix every year rather than a medium term, strategic view of something.

Edited by MattSantos

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

13 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

As a vehicle for growing the game's fandom MW has failed. Even Newcastle failed,  its irrational to think otherwise, if it had been a success then The Thunder wouldn't now be in trouble. IMG wanted MW scrapped the clubs said no, this might be a compromise and a test to see if MW really has a future. If there really is an appetite for the event holding it in a 40,000 seater stadium in the heartlands should be a winner. Maybe some people on here think Elland Road is a dump but that can't be used as an excuse for a low attendance, if it really was that bad it wouldn't get packed out every fortnight. Perhaps IMG's perception of MW is tainted by the rows of empty seats at Newcastle,  and if Elland Rd produces a great atmosphere and Sky are happy, then MW could become a TV event rather than a " get new fans by getting them to go watch it live " event. Elland Rd might be the future. But if its a dud then that conclusively means the appetite for MW is just not there. Whatever the perceived shortcomings of ER, this must succeed if the event is to continue.

You must be a fan of The Producers too.

5 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

I agree with your comment regards space around Elland Road Stadium. Their is a lot on three sides plus a very large car park. 

As you say making use of some of that space for a mini village, or in fact largish village using some of the concepts but bigger than what Hull KR do it could be good.

In addition if some as seems to be the case think not being in short walking of City Centre is a problem then as its quite/very close you could have relay of buses back and forth.   On that point their isn't many biggish stadiums in a short walking distance like Newcastle, which isn't available and Cardiff is just too big for a Magic weekend day attendance.

Leeds is a big City with plenty to offer outside of the Rugby for other members of family that may not want to watch the Rugby and to make a weekend.

Its capacity ain't as big of some bigger stadium but then again their always half empty.  OK its not the most modern nowadays but I was their for the Aussie NZ semi and it was great.

Personally it would not be my number one but then again that would not be my personal choice and we can't suit every one's personal choice, especially if some choices are not available.

They could make a good fist of it at Elland Road but given negativity that abounds,,,, why should they bother as many on here have decided.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Again from a purely selfish point of view I reckon the atmosphere at the Warrington Leeds game will be great, I think there will be a lot of casual Leeds fans go, I can imagine the first day selling out

The 5 best supported teams, including one from that city and a derby that last year got a 24k sell-out, should really be selling out a 37k stadium. The trouble is the powers that be will hail that a success.