Documentary Series: We are York

Episode 1 – THE CHARGE BEGINS

In the first episode of the documentary series, we share the story of York RLFC and the people who make it so special. The historic Club is on the verge of breaking into the top competition for the first time in 40 years and with the changing landscape of the sport under IMG’s new competition structure, 2024 could be the last chance to capture a dream 155 years in the making.

Directed and produced by Craig Bingham

Follow our journey.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

York fans are very pleased with this - first part of a planned twelve episodes. High production values, gritty and honest. If future episodes are as well made as this (and I don't know if this is to be a "rolling" production throughout the  current season) the end product will be a high-class hour long documentary.

Lots to like in this for fans of League in general, not just Knights and Valkyrie supporters.

Sets a high bar for clubs looking to improve their social media content this year !

• Like 9

Brilliant.

This is exactly the sort of content our clubs should be aiming for.

It's engaging, high quality and so authentic. It cuts through and I'd easily something you can then take to Amazon or netflix in the future to say, buy into us and we can provide you with equally high quality longer format content.

It's a huge part of gaining a wider audience to show an interest in RL. Sports docs are big for brand awareness and building profiles of individuals and teams. Its another huge opportunity to expose our game to wider audiences.

• Like 11

Manly have also started their own documentary series.

To keep this thread on topic, I'll post the link in the relevant forum.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 3

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Lowdesert said:

Souths too.

Looking forward to the "There are too many Rugby League documentaries these days" thread. :kolobok_cool:

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 hours ago, JonT said:

Has anyone sent this to Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney yet? 😏

Forget Ryan and Rob, they're not interested. I don't know when our documentary is launching, but some of it was being filmed in the Turf pub next to the Racecourse last month. 😁

https://www.nwcrusaders.co.uk/post/crusaders-confirm-documentary-launch-1

Well done to York for getting theirs out first, hope it's a success and sets the standard for others to follow.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

For all the latest news on North Wales Crusaders, please click on the link below to the new club website.

https://www.nwcrusaders.co.uk/

Enjoyed watching that

The game is in dire need of watchable, engaging content that will appeal to fans of the game, fans who have drifted away from watching and people who just need to be exposed to the game to become fans, for life.

This is professionally produced and bucks the trend of Rugby League content that often portrays the game as just a gritty working class pastime that appeals to no one except those who live in the Towns & City’s involved.

Looking forward to watching the whole thing

• Like 5

I am eager to watch the rest of this. I don’t think you could do a better job in seven minutes to summarise the club’s long history, its recent history, its current position and the consequences of the club’s immediate performances.

All sports and clubs have a storyline and I hold high hopes for the rest of this series to tell York’s story in a way which keeps me coming back for more.

• Like 6

Excellent stuff. 

Going to be an exciting Championship season ahead.

I was at the York-Leigh game in the clip from October 1988 which was York's last season at Wiggington Road.They hammered Leigh that day.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Andy JG said:

Excellent stuff. 

Going to be an exciting Championship season ahead.

I was at the York-Leigh game in the clip from October 1988 which was York's last season at Wiggington Road. They hammered Leigh that day.  

Oh god, now you've done it. 

• Haha 12

Some interesting comments below by the director of the York documentary (and it's due to be a rolling series documenting the season) :-

What are the themes of the documentary?

“The beauty of this project, and of documentary film making, is that the themes present themselves as the story unfolds, both to me as the director and to the audience. But, with this documentary, I hope to encapsulate the essence of York.

"It will explore the impact rugby has on its people - the sacrifices made and the lengths individuals go to for their sport. While the backbone of the film will follow York Knights' journey toward the Betfred Super League and York Valkyrie's bid for more silverware, it will extend beyond mere competition.

"It will delve into the players' livelihoods and tap into the influence rugby has on their lives. No matter what happens this season, I have no doubt it’s going to be an emotional one… it’s been clear from the start that rugby league means everything to them.”

And there is a particular focus on the backstories of the players and staff...

“When players hit the pitch, regardless of the team, they're often seen as heroes or gladiators. Yet, I'm intrigued by the characters behind that image.

"Everyone involved in the club, just like you and me, all face personal struggles, each on their own journey. I’m aiming to capture an authentic look into what makes up the York Knights and the York Valkyrie, looking beyond the scoreboard.”

What are you hoping that the documentary showcases about the Club and the sport?

“Ultimately, I want audiences to come away from this documentary feeling an emotional connection to those who have built a life around this sport and this team. Tackling stereotypes that surround not only rugby but also northern culture is very important to me.

"We know the grit and hardness attached to the sport, but I'm aiming to offer a different perspective. More specifically to the game, I want the documentary to showcase the impact of IMG’s new grading system. The sport is set to change and I get to be smack bang in the middle of it all!”

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, RBKnight said:

Some interesting comments below by the director of the York documentary (and it's due to be a rolling series documenting the season) :-

What are the themes of the documentary?

“The beauty of this project, and of documentary film making, is that the themes present themselves as the story unfolds, both to me as the director and to the audience. But, with this documentary, I hope to encapsulate the essence of York.

"It will explore the impact rugby has on its people - the sacrifices made and the lengths individuals go to for their sport. While the backbone of the film will follow York Knights' journey toward the Betfred Super League and York Valkyrie's bid for more silverware, it will extend beyond mere competition.

"It will delve into the players' livelihoods and tap into the influence rugby has on their lives. No matter what happens this season, I have no doubt it’s going to be an emotional one… it’s been clear from the start that rugby league means everything to them.”

And there is a particular focus on the backstories of the players and staff...

“When players hit the pitch, regardless of the team, they're often seen as heroes or gladiators. Yet, I'm intrigued by the characters behind that image.

"Everyone involved in the club, just like you and me, all face personal struggles, each on their own journey. I’m aiming to capture an authentic look into what makes up the York Knights and the York Valkyrie, looking beyond the scoreboard.”

What are you hoping that the documentary showcases about the Club and the sport?

“Ultimately, I want audiences to come away from this documentary feeling an emotional connection to those who have built a life around this sport and this team. Tackling stereotypes that surround not only rugby but also northern culture is very important to me.

"We know the grit and hardness attached to the sport, but I'm aiming to offer a different perspective. More specifically to the game, I want the documentary to showcase the impact of IMG’s new grading system. The sport is set to change and I get to be smack bang in the middle of it all!”

Very interesting. Think this has huge potential, looks like the club have found a great creative partner to go on a journey with. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1