Broncos boss adamant they can overcome IMG body blow

He’s pretty critical of the system though 

Promotion and relegation should be a staple of all sports. We are proud of this tradition whereas in other countries promotion and relegation is not always the case. It’s what brings the excitement to sport! Condemning a club to relegation before a ball has even been kicked takes away the jeopardy and drama that makes the millions tune in week on week, year after year. If London Broncos finish the 2024 season in 11th place or higher there has to be a scenario in place in which we stay in the division”

https://www.londonbroncosrl.com/david-hughes-responds-to-london-broncos-img-grading

• Like 1

4 hours ago, phiggins said:

Promotion and relegation should be a staple of all sports. We are proud of this tradition whereas in other countries promotion and relegation is not always the case. It’s what brings the excitement to sport! Condemning a club to relegation before a ball has even been kicked takes away the jeopardy and drama that makes the millions tune in week on week, year after year. If London Broncos finish the 2024 season in 11th place or higher there has to be a scenario in place in which we stay in the division”

https://www.londonbroncosrl.com/david-hughes-responds-to-london-broncos-img-grading

Millions tune in to RL week on week? For the threat of relegation?

The game is being restructured and I think… I think, one of the primary reasons why it’s being restructured is because the sport does not have millions tuning in each week.

Without disputing the poo position Broncos find themselves in, when the sport is going through a restructure to prioritise “strong” clubs, the Broncos really only have themselves to blame for not making the cut.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, phiggins said:

Promotion and relegation should be a staple of all sports. We are proud of this tradition whereas in other countries promotion and relegation is not always the case. It’s what brings the excitement to sport! Condemning a club to relegation before a ball has even been kicked takes away the jeopardy and drama that makes the millions tune in week on week, year after year. If London Broncos finish the 2024 season in 11th place or higher there has to be a scenario in place in which we stay in the division

Well there isn’t. We’ve voted on it, time to get on with it.

This bloke has blown well over £25m for London to end up in pretty much the place they were before he started. No ground. No commerical organistion. No corporate partners. Only a few hundred members. No resilient talent pyramid. Not even a replica shirt you can buy from the club yet. Nada. You’d have thought he of all people would understand the need to try another model. 🙄🙄🙄

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Worzel said:

Well there isn’t. We’ve voted on it, time to get on with it.

This bloke has blown well over £25m for London to end up in pretty much the place they were before he started. No ground. No commerical organistion. No corporate partners. Only a few hundred members. No resilient talent pyramid. Not even a replica shirt you can buy from the club yet. Nada. You’d have thought he of all people would understand the need to try another model. 🙄🙄🙄

If only they were in the same place as when he started!

• Like 3

If I was trying to win friends and influence other clubs and decision makers to change the process, I'm not sure id have gone down the route of scrapping the Academy and playing the system. 

That kind of action may please some of the angrier crowd, but it's not gonna win over the leaders and majority of clubs who have voted the system in imo. 

They could win the SL, LLS and CC and they'd still be going down. I do quite like the idea of a Championship team playing in the WCC though.

"Right lads, before we head into our big game against Batley in a couple of weeks we'll have to get this game against Brisbane out of the way."

• Haha 5

10 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

Not only was it voted on, London voted for it!

I know, madness

He has a point about scoring for Academy quality, or talent production. Many of us also made that argument too. The difference is, David Hughes and the other club owners were actually in the room with IMG so if it had been that important to them they had the opportunity to influence change then.

But even with some home-grown talent metric, London would still not have been "in" because of Hughes' systematic failure to build a club over 30 years, rather than just hire a first team. It's not like some of us haven't had that conversation with him and his team over that time either, we have. 

• Like 2

On 24/01/2024 at 22:28, Worzel said:

It's not like some of us haven't had that conversation with him and his team over that time either, we have. 

I believe the first time I mentioned "building a fan base to finance building a club" was in stripes bar in 2002 at Brentford. 

I gave up "banging on about it" in about 2010 as even back then it was obvious he had no intention of promoting "the game", which he saw as 100% the role of the EFL/SL.

He falls into the trap that many many RL fans do, in believing that seeing one game will get people hooked and whilst his many million of investment are to be acknowledged and applauded, he really has to take personal responsibility for the mess that London Broncos are now.

It's sad that even with 27 games on national TV they can't even secure a shirt sponsor, whilst the lack of anything to currently buy in terms of shirts (unless prepared to pre-order without seeing the final design) whilst the infatuation with the gold lounge seems to point to a further disconnect from reality.

• Like 2

David Hughes, has a point about both the catchment area and academy scores as there are no other RL clubs in Merton and arguably the one success story out of the Bronocos is the production of junior non-M62 players some of whom have had a decent rugby league career.. elsewhere.

Not that London would secure enough points from the criteria to stay up anyway, but IIRC at the time of franchising back in late noughties, the common argument against was "it's results on the field that count" from the "heartland" clubs fans. Now the Irony of all of this is that while the original franchising debate had the expansion of the game as one of it's stated aims, the 2024 model ensures an M62 sport in perpituity. With all that implies in the medium and long term for the games future.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

1 hour ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

David Hughes, has a point about both the catchment area and academy scores as there are no other RL clubs in Merton and arguably the one success story out of the Bronocos is the production of junior non-M62 players some of whom have had a decent rugby league career.. elsewhere.

Not that London would secure enough points from the criteria to stay up anyway, but IIRC at the time of franchising back in late noughties, the common argument against was "it's results on the field that count" from the "heartland" clubs fans. Now the Irony of all of this is that while the original franchising debate had the expansion of the game as one of it's stated aims, the 2024 model ensures an M62 sport in perpituity. With all that implies in the medium and long term for the games future.

Not really. Toulouse scored pretty well. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Londonbornirishbred said:

I believe the first time I mentioned "building a fan base to finance building a club" was in stripes bar in 2002 at Brentford. 

I gave up "banging on about it" in about 2010 as even back then it was obvious he had no intention of promoting "the game", which he saw as 100% the role of the EFL/SL.

He falls into the trap that many many RL fans do, in believing that seeing one game will get people hooked and whilst his many million of investment are to be acknowledged and applauded, he really has to take personal responsibility for the mess that London Broncos are now.

It's sad that even with 27 games on national TV they can't even secure a shirt sponsor, whilst the lack of anything to currently buy in terms of shirts (unless prepared to pre-order without seeing the final design) whilst the infatuation with the gold lounge seems to point to a further disconnect from reality.

Totally agree. I told David and Nick in 2006 that if they gave me Henry Paul’s salary as a marketing budget over the lifetime of his contract that’s all we needed to build an audience. Paul was a good player, but Broncos could have competed without him. 

The move to Harlequins actually made some strategic sense, but the club totally missed the opportunity to grow its audience. At some point you’ve got to invest in the foundations of a club, not the performances or results in one season. For all the money David has put in, he’s never done that, and it depresses the hell out of me. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Worzel said:

Totally agree. I told David and Nick in 2006 that if they gave me Henry Paul’s salary as a marketing budget over the lifetime of his contract that’s all we needed to build an audience. Paul was a good player, but Broncos could have competed without him. 

The move to Harlequins actually made some strategic sense, but the club totally missed the opportunity to grow its audience. At some point you’ve got to invest in the foundations of a club, not the performances or results in one season. For all the money David has put in, he’s never done that, and it depresses the hell out of me. 

Well he's been getting consistent advice at least - I'm sure I've read another forum member tell a very similar story about talking to David Hughes about using Henry Paul's salary as a marketing budget.

9 hours ago, Barley Mow said:

Well he's been getting consistent advice at least - I'm sure I've read another forum member tell a very similar story about talking to David Hughes about using Henry Paul's salary as a marketing budget.

Indeed... ahem...  "another forum member" 🤐🤣🤣

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, marklaspalmas said:

Broncos boss adamant they can overcome IMG body blow.

Also ....

Broncos adamant they can overcome Broncos boss body blow.

And ......

IMG adamant they can overcome Broncos boss body blow.

Adam Ant adamant that ridicule is nothing to be scared of

• Haha 5

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 25/01/2024 at 20:56, Dave T said:

Not really. Toulouse scored pretty well. 

Toulouse is not an expansion team, It is French Heartland like Catalans.

I would define expansion as moving into non-traditional territory.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

1 hour ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Toulouse is not an expansion team, It is French Heartland like Catalans.

I would define expansion as moving into non-traditional territory.

They aren't on the m62

• Like 1

On 26/01/2024 at 12:38, gingerjon said:

Adam Ant adamant that ridicule is nothing to be scared of

Don't you ever lower yourself forgetting all your standards.

Edited by HawkMan

• 2 weeks later...