2024 attendance thread

7 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Hard to compare to football though. It's just everywhere.

Good to see London putting in some effort to build support in a decent ground. They might go down, but puts them in good stead to go back up in the near future.

Non-league isn’t, though. But it does give encouragement that there are so many markets to tap in to. 

5 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Definitely, Dulwich Hamlet are averaging almost 2,500 in the seventh tier of football, surrounded by professional clubs, they definitely know their niche. 

They were very much who I was thinking of and I know have been mentioned on here previously. 

It does seem as if the Broncos have ignored off the field issues in trying to get fans through the gate for years.
Is it because they have moved around so much it would mean starting up again with promotion of the club into another different area of London ??. 

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

Definitely, Dulwich Hamlet are averaging almost 2,500 in the seventh tier of football, surrounded by professional clubs, they definitely know their niche. 

It's also football. 

London has always shown that there is an appetite for RL, it just has to be at the top level. People in London aren't interested in watching Championship/L1 rugby. That's why people attended the Catalan game compared to the last few seasons. 

Friday night was my first visit to Wimbledon, I had no interest watching a PT team mostly get beat at home to random teams that mean nothing to me.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Click said:

It's also football. 

London has always shown that there is an appetite for RL, it just has to be at the top level. People in London aren't interested in watching Championship/L1 rugby. That's why people attended the Catalan game compared to the last few seasons. 

Friday night was my first visit to Wimbledon, I had no interest watching a PT team mostly get beat at home to random teams that mean nothing to me.

A well run London club with a bit of a budget could attract fans at SL, Champ or L1. There's not been such a thing for some time.

The attendance vs Catalan was hugely enouraging but it obviously wasn't 5k and there is a massive amount of work required to retain those folk. It's great for those marketing the club that the world champions are next up. 

8 hours ago, Click said:

It's also football. 

I think this is entirely true and understandable. I think every sport faces issues at attracting fans to watch part time level sport, especially when it is a new sport for them. It simply isn't an attractive proposition to many. I can't see regular large attendances ever happening for any lower league UK expansion side, even heartland teams struggle on that score. 2k would be very respectable.

As usual comparisons to Football, even part time, are pretty pointless. Obviously you have the all-encompassing nature of football, that goes without saying. However even a club like Dulwich Hamlet have been in existence for over a century, have largely played at their own ground and are very well established part of the community with generations of fans. A niche that is possible in that environment is quite different than what is possible for a nomadic part time RL club.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 2

How does Salford and Huddersfield expand on these poor attendances?

As a percentage of the stadium they are nowhere near.

HKR should be expanding as should Catalan based on % of capacity

Saints should be looking to expand their hospitality sections

All clubs can have a commercial focus but the remit will be different for each club

• Like 1

Quite impressive, even with RL's capacity to waste a good crowd, that three teams have got good attendances for their home opener and been nilled (Hull, London, Huddersfield), with another team (Cas) losing 4-32.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

Six of the eight challenge cup games at the weekend have attendance ‘not given’ in League Express today 

724 for Halifax/ Hammersmith

1477 for Keighley/ Fev

Some clubs (Swinton for example) give figures when they update their website later in the week.

Edited by JonM
  • Thanks 1

On 26/02/2024 at 16:14, faithfulbyname said:

Not exactly packing them in for round 2

Oh give up, everyone knows they are decent crowds for the respective clubs, Huddersfield and Salford never 'pack them in' so put your stirring spoon away.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Just Browny said:

Quite impressive, even with RL's capacity to waste a good crowd, that three teams have got good attendances for their home opener and been nilled (Hull, London, Huddersfield), with another team (Cas) losing 4-32.

Yeah its the nature of the sport and the league at the moment it seems. If there is a significant gap in quality, then it will show and have a winners bonus it seems.

20 hours ago, JonM said:

Some clubs (Swinton for example) give figures when they update their website later in the week.

746 Swinton/ Oldham

London pulling out all the stops for the Wigan visit in a couple of weeks. Hopefully they get a good crowd. £5 in London for u18s ain't even the cost of a pint and £20 for adults is nothing really:

Edited by Damien
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Damien said:

London pulling out all the stops for the Wigan visit in a couple of weeks. Hopefully they get a good crowd. £5 in London for u18s ain't even the cost of a pint and £20 for adults is nothing really:

They're handing out tickets to community clubs again - but fewer this time out. Seems pretty smart. We're making it a club pre-season social day out.

I can only imagine how much better this would have been if they had put together a SL standard squad but should be another decent (for the Broncos) crowd.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1