3 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

and the most stereotypical  racist post of the year so far goes to.........................................

Guess you got me.  I'm a big racist.

• Haha 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

5 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

not as simple as that - someone will step in ,that's without doubt - but talents like Manu come round once in a lifetime - just like jonathan davies , ellery hanley and darren lockyer to name but just 3 - a huge loss to our game but money talks and if we were offered 5x as much money to do a far easier job then what would we say?

Once in a lifetime? Really? Manu is a good player but let's not exaggerate. The NRL still has plenty of stars and producing star players by the bucketload. Manu is just one of many.

9 minutes ago, Damien said:

Once in a lifetime? Really? Manu is a good player but let's not exaggerate. The NRL still has plenty of stars and producing star players by the bucketload. Manu is just one of many.

no- your wrong Manu is a stand out talent among some good players

• Like 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

11 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Guess you got me.  I'm a big racist.

your supposed to say your NOT  a big racist and you have Japanese friends and Burt Kwok was the best one in last of the summer wine

Manu didn't want to play against the Roosters, so joining another NRL club was out. 

There may have been SL clubs who could have made an even half competitive offer for him as a marquee player, but the richer ones already have their quota filled.

That leaves the millionaires' toy clubs of French RU or the corporate cash of Japan. No other realistic options in Rugby of either code.

• Sad 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

if Manu does have one flaw in his game - its not passing the ball to his winger (only carl gibson was worse for this) so for me Manu and Young on that side is a bad combination as Young needs feeding the ball to score tries 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Manu didn't want to play against the Roosters, so joining another NRL club was out. 

There may have been SL clubs who could have made an even half competitive offer for him as a marquee player, but the richer ones already have their quota filled.

That leaves the millionaires' toy clubs of French RU or the corporate cash of Japan. No other realistic options in Rugby of either code.

There is a lot of chat in the Aussie sports media at the moment about whether the Roosters encourage their players to leave the code rather than move to another NRL side should they want to move on or can't offer them what they want in the cap.

I hope that's not true - not least because Trent Robinson has been such a wonderful ambassador for our code.

• Thanks 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Whilst we support a sport, for many players it is literally a job. They know one injury could end their career, they will likely be finished by early 30s.

He's done everything, played internationals won GFs.

Maybe he's had enough of media scrutiny in Sydney. I spoke to Joey Leluia and he said he preferred Featherstone to Sydney as he could go out without being hassled by fans/media. 

So maybe Manu wants a quieter life off field, a huge payday and chance to live in a very different country? In 10 years, no-one will care what he did or even remember if he stayed in NRL or not.

Of course, no-one on this forum would change jobs for a huge pay rise and chance to live in Japan.......

Edited by Wakefield Ram
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Of course, no-one on this forum would change jobs for a huge pay rise and chance to live in Japan.......

I think the first of those variables is relatively easy.  Most employees would change jobs for a considerable pay rise - if there is no other financial incentive involved.

But the chance to live in Japan?  I want to visit Japan, it is on my bucket list, but I wouldn't want to spend 2 or 3 years away from home, living and working in a foreign country can be very isolating, even if you have your close family with you.

If my business wanted me to move to our Japanese office and offered me more money to do it, I would say no.

All these matters are personal of course.

• Like 1

Joey Manu is a fabulous player and a big loss for the Roosters and the Kiwis.

I feel like the Roosters are making a mistake in letting him go instead of moving on from Tedesco and freeing up both the salary cap space and the full back role for the more athletic player in Manu.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

not as simple as that - someone will step in ,that's without doubt - but talents like Manu come round once in a lifetime - just like jonathan davies , ellery hanley and darren lockyer to name but just 3 - a huge loss to our game but money talks and if we were offered 5x as much money to do a far easier job then what would we say?

It may just be me, but I don't think Manu is anywhere close to the three you mention in this post.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

It may just be me, but I don't think Manu is anywhere close to the three you mention in this post.

Yeah, but you are looking through the eyes of a massive racist and it severely clouds your judgment.

Edited by Sports Prophet
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I think the first of those variables is relatively easy.  Most employees would change jobs for a considerable pay rise - if there is no other financial incentive involved.

But the chance to live in Japan?  I want to visit Japan, it is on my bucket list, but I wouldn't want to spend 2 or 3 years away from home, living and working in a foreign country can be very isolating, even if you have your close family with you.

If my business wanted me to move to our Japanese office and offered me more money to do it, I would say no.

All these matters are personal of course.

I've just been to Japan it was fantastic. You should go if you get the chance. 

Plenty of people live abroad and enjoy it. And no doubt off-season he can return to NZ or Australia if he wants. But like you say, it's personal choice.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Whilst we support a sport, for many players it is literally a job. They know one injury could end their career, they will likely be finished by early 30s.

He's done everything, played internationals won GFs.

Maybe he's had enough of media scrutiny in Sydney. I spoke to Joey Leluia and he said he preferred Featherstone to Sydney as he could go out without being hassled by fans/media. 

So maybe Manu wants a quieter life off field, a huge payday and chance to live in a very different country? In 10 years, no-one will care what he did or even remember if he stayed in NRL or not.

Live in Japan? That would put me off accepting the pay rise. It would be below living in Yorkshire for me….but not much below.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

If talents like Jonathan Davies , Ellery Hanley, Darren Lockyer and Joey Manu only come around once in a lifetime and I have seen them all play.

I have to ask, and be honest, am I immortal... am I Highlander?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

If talents like Jonathan Davies , Ellery Hanley, Darren Lockyer and Joey Manu only come around once in a lifetime and I have seen them all play.

It also completely ignores players like Greg Inglis, Billy Slater, Cameron Smith, Sam Burgess, Cooper Cronk etc who we have seen play in the last decade alone.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Damien said:

It also completely ignores players like Greg Inglis, Billy Slater, Cameron Smith, Sam Burgess, Cooper Cronk etc who we have seen play in the last decade alone.

Manu is one of many good players in the NRL but not even close to a once in a lifetime player.

In fact, I am watching the Roosters Storm game now (or working, depending on who is asking) and Manu is just one of many good players in this game.

On 16/04/2024 at 18:37, Damien said:

Its the only thing he can say other than the real reason, that he is going for a big wodge of cash. He can't use the challenge excuse, can't use the playing for his country excuse, can't use the international game or the seeing the world excuse.

Maybe, but it might also be the truth. Sad to see him go whatever his reasons.

Japan is an amazing place to live.

Edited by EastLondonMike

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

15 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Ridiculous to even put him in the same conversation as those 3, though not surprising given who it was.

• Confused 1

Manu is one of many good players in the NRL but not even close to a once in a lifetime player.

In fact, I am watching the Roosters Storm game now (or working, depending on who is asking) and Manu is just one of many good players in this game.

What are you talking about?

We have a poster calling him a once in a generation player, while also mentioning in the same thread that he doesn't pass to his winger. For a centre, that seems like a pretty key part of his job, but ya'know.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Click said:

What are you talking about?

We have a poster calling him a once in a generation player, while also mentioning in the same thread that he doesn't pass to his winger. For a centre, that seems like a pretty key part of his job, but ya'know.

Come on, not once in a generation... that's only 20 or 30 years... once in a lifetime!

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

You've named three once in a lifetime talents that all played in my lifetime.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Haha, I was just about to say the same thing 😄