Thur 15th Feb: SL: Hull FC v Hull KR KO 8pm (Sky)

Who will win?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Hull FC
    • Hull KR

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 15/02/24 at 20:30

6 hours ago, jacksy said:

If its me and I'm being gouged in that situation.. I'm kneeing the culprit or I'm punching his ###### head in.

And being sent straight off.

But feeling good about yourself.

I've watched it back just now. I said last night that I thought it was harsh but understandable and that's still my point of view. You can't watch someone take the law into their own hands - the second knee in particular is completely unnecessary - and then ignore it, especially if you're putting a marker down for the way the rules are going to be enforced.

Thankfully, it made not a blind bit of difference to the overall game, which, although fun, was a pretty scrappy way to start the Super League season.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

59 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

And being sent straight off.

But feeling good about yourself.

I've watched it back just now. I said last night that I thought it was harsh but understandable and that's still my point of view. You can't watch someone take the law into their own hands - the second knee in particular is completely unnecessary - and then ignore it, especially if you're putting a marker down for the way the rules are going to be enforced.

Thankfully, it made not a blind bit of difference to the overall game, which, although fun, was a pretty scrappy way to start the Super League season.

It’s no different now to thirty years ago, you retaliate, you walk. Simple as that, be it right or wrong!

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Someone grabs you by the face and attempts to turn you on your back by the face 

You are holding the ball so can't use your hands 

What should he have done to get on his front to play the ball? ( and also stop being eye gouged?)

So you think to get on his front he has to knee someone in the head? Come off it.

8 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Pulled to the ground by his face ....then Parcell attempts to leverage him on his back using his hands on his face 

Not sure what Sau could or should have done differently ...he didn't play act or make a fuss about his face being grabbed...he was trying to get up and play the ball 

Sau took the law into his own hands by deliberately using his knees. That's just not acceptable.

I disagree entirely with the notion he was trying to play the ball. He was retaliating and in an unacceptable way. Just because you've had wrong done to you, doesn't give you licence to do that. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, dkw said:

So you think to get on his front he has to knee someone in the head? Come off it.

Come off what? 

His face was being held to the ground 

He was trying pivot himself up to get away from the illegal face grabbing / potential eye gouging 

Again...is it now expected players calmly lie there until the assault is over?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tiffers said:

Sau took the law into his own hands by deliberately using his knees. That's just not acceptable.

I disagree entirely with the notion he was trying to play the ball. He was retaliating and in an unacceptable way. Just because you've had wrong done to you, doesn't give you licence to do that. 

And I disagree with you Tiffers 

I think he was trying to get up (and get away from being illegally face grabbed and potentially eye gouged)

9 hours ago, Worzel said:

Anyway, great night’s entertainment. Brilliant value for money. To be fair the organisers did a great job of making it all feel like a proper “event”. More of this please!

Cannot disaree wirh your take of the event, but the game certainly let the occasion down, hope it is first game nerves and not a taste of what is to come.

You can wriggle out of a tackle as much as you like but if you start kneeing other players in the head under the current guidance you’ll get punished. You may not intend to but it then becomes a reckless action

• Like 5

Abysmal skill levels on show last night from both sets of players and the game as a whole was of a really poor standard, there really should not be that many dropped balls and mistakes even at this early stage of the season. Hopefully tonights games show that this was just a one off and a bit of stage fright for both of these teams. Very well officiated game though although I do think they got the last sending off wrong, for me thats a red Hull KR and a yellow Hull FC but it made no difference to the result and I expect the disciplinary will see it that way and its more likely the KR player gets a ban than the FC player.

• Like 1

I couldn't watch the game last night.

Just saw the Pele send-off. It was a swinging arm that was mainly aimed at the shoulder area, with some incidental contact to Minichiello's head.

A rush of blood from Pele, but for me something like that isn't a send-off. 10 in the bin perhaps for a bit of over-zealousness that affects the head of an opponent. In my view, it wasn't a head-shot meriting a sit-down for the rest of the game.

I'll read the thread to see what others think, but that's how I saw it from the atrocious, low-res video on the Sky website.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Abysmal skill levels on show last night from both sets of players and the game as a whole was of a really poor standard, there really should not be that many dropped balls and mistakes even at this early stage of the season. Hopefully tonights games show that this was just a one off and a bit of stage fright for both of these teams. Very well officiated game though although I do think they got the last sending off wrong, for me thats a red Hull KR and a yellow Hull FC but it made no difference to the result and I expect the disciplinary will see it that way and its more likely the KR player gets a ban than the FC player.

I caught the Sky Sports News update on the game this morning and interestingly (although I agree with you re. the skill levels and quality on show), they didnt care one jot. They were talking up the drama re. the cards, the missed goals and generally had a positive spin on it. "Super League is back with a bang".

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

Just saw the Pele send-off. It was a swinging arm that was mainly aimed at the shoulder area, with some incidental contact to Minichiello's head.

A rush of blood from Pele, but for me something like that isn't a send-off. 10 in the bin perhaps for a bit of over-zealousness that affects the head of an opponent. In my view, it wasn't a head-shot meriting a sit-down for the rest of the game.

I'll read the thread to see what others think, but that's how I saw it from the atrocious, low-res video on the Sky website.

Nah it was a massive swinging arm to a players head whilst he was on the floor, red all day long, Pele also threw a punch in the dust up afterwards.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Pulled to the ground by his face ....then Parcell attempts to leverage him on his back using his hands on his face 

Not sure what Sau could or should have done differently ...he didn't play act or make a fuss about his face being grabbed...he was trying to get up and play the ball 

He could have not kneed him in the head twice, thus leaving the referee with no option but to send him off, Sao probably knew that but let the frustration get the better of him.

We all probably know that too don't we?

Edited by meast
  • Like 2

Good start to the season and great to see a big crowd. FCs lack of discipline was appalling really. If they continue to play like that they won't get very far this season. 

Thought the second sending off was harsh but understandable. Ese ese possibly got away with one in the first half and the other was a nailed on red. 

32 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

It was a grub move swinging an arm at a defenceless player on the ground. Had he connected properly he would have knocked the player on floor out. That sort of play has no place in the game today and I expect a long ban. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Come off what? 

His face was being held to the ground 

He was trying pivot himself up to get away from the illegal face grabbing / potential eye gouging 

Again...is it now expected players calmly lie there until the assault is over?

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

And I disagree with you Tiffers 

I think he was trying to get up (and get away from being illegally face grabbed and potentially eye gouged)

In that case, would it not have been better for Sao to release the ball and risk losing possession rather than kneeing someone in the head, getting sent off and getting banned and letting his team down?

I rather think it would, you're basically condoning someone kneeing another person in the head, had that happened on the street, you'd be calling it assault and a disgrace etc, but on a rugby field, it's fine because someone was holding him down?

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Saw better quality pictures of the Pele incident. The shoulder does contact the side of the head. With the big wind-up of the swinging arm, the send-off makes sense. Having seen it again, I think that was the CORRECT CALL.

I'm not sure about the Sau one. He is wriggling about on the ground, having had his face receive undue attention from a tackler. I think it is a pretty HARSH CALL to interpret those knee movements as deliberate knees to an opponent. Two yellows might have been better in that situation.

Edited by StandOffHalf

41 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

An intentional swinging arm the head/shoulder of an opponent, especially one on the ground is a red card, whether he hit him in the head or not.

In the current climate where we the game is trying to avoid tackling above shoulders, a swinging arm to that area is certainly not going to be just given 10 minutes sin bin.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Cannot disaree wirh your take of the event, but the game certainly let the occasion down, hope it is first game nerves and not a taste of what is to come.

The game is always a bit hit or miss to an extent. Always has been, always will. You can't control that. However what you are able to control, or at least have an influence on, was done very well. Let's focus on that and not a scrappy game, which there is a chance a good percentage of the games throughout the year might be. 

I originally thought that the Sao red was harsh but fair. I thought it was, like other do, an attempt to get up or at least show to the ref that he was being unfairly held and highlight the foul play, and then a wild knee catching Parcell. After seeing it this morning I've changed my mind. It was deliberate and looking to knee Parcell in the head. Straight red. No issues. I still have a degree of sympathy but it was completely the correct decision. 

17 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I've said this a few times but go here for most SL news on recruits and injuries (especially for fantasy SL)

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/

For a local news site it is also quite quick and relatively lighter on ads (though obvs still pretty bad) 

I find those syndicated newspaper websites are absolutely abysmal to view.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Nah it was a massive swinging arm to a players head whilst he was on the floor, red all day long, Pele also threw a punch in the dust up afterwards.

I saw a better video and have come around somewhat. Still not totally convinced, but he does go into the side of the head. With the big wind-up, it seals his fate. I'm not convinced that the fact that it's a swinging arm makes it a send-off, but there is some head contact.

29 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

It was a grub move swinging an arm at a defenceless player on the ground. Had he connected properly he would have knocked the player on floor out. That sort of play has no place in the game today and I expect a long ban. 

I saw the incident as two players bumping into one another and the tackled player still moving on the ground. Bit grubby to aim at the shoulder, but I saw it as someone looking to finish the tackle on the contacted player.

I saw better images, and have come around to the Red Card a bit.

Edited by StandOffHalf

3 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

I saw a better video and have come around somewhat. Still not totally convinced, but he does go into the side of the head. With the big wind-up, it seals his fate. I'm not convinced that the fact that it's a swinging arm makes it a send-off, but there is some head contact.

Its not the swinging arm that's the issue, you can swing your arm into a tackle, its the intent and the fact that he does contact with the head that makes it a dead set red card and a decent ban.