The smells of Rugby League

Nicked this idea from a football forum I sometimes visit, what smells do you associate with RL, as an earliest memory of attending games, or something more recent, a smell that defines a certain ground, game, place etc.

I'll start off with my first memories of attending games at Fartown- Pipe tobacco, Bovril and boiled onions from the hot dog/catering van.

Fire away and keep it civil please.

• Like 1

The smell of wintergreen immediately takes me back to a changing room pre-game with the nerves rising.  A very powerful recollection.

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Not smells, really but more an atmosphere.

I didn't play much as I wasn't built for the game but after one of my better matches I came off the field covered in mud, sat down in the changing rooms completely worn out and said to myself: "I love this game." That moment with the steam of the showers and the pile of dirty kit is what comes back to me when these sorts of questions are asked.

• Like 2

Do not fear; only BELIEVE

putting your head in the scrum as loose forward and hoping the 5 lads in front of you hadn't been on the beer and curry the night before

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Didn’t matter which ground you were at you could always smell the wintergreen as the players went onto the field, I wonder what they rub on themselves these days if anything. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

All those, but mingled with Wintergreen.

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

The smell of wintergreen immediately takes me back to a changing room pre-game with the nerves rising.  A very powerful recollection.

46 minutes ago, Barry Badrinath said:

Walking past the front of the bevan stand pre match at wilderspool where the changing rooms were the smell of wintergreen was pungent, great memory

Wintergreen is the same as embrocation/deep heat style stuff I presume?

Yeah used to get that smell at Fartown as the players got ready!

1 hour ago, meast said:

Wintergreen is the same as embrocation/deep heat style stuff I presume?

It is yes.

The olfactory triggered memories are the strongest, no doubt.

This thread reminds me of Perfume by Patrick Süskind but slightly lighter reading. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

the smell of embalming fluid at belle vue after 6 rounds of the SL era and everyone conceding the season was dead already

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

2 hours ago, Barry Badrinath said:

Walking past the front of the bevan stand pre match at wilderspool where the changing rooms were the smell of wintergreen was pungent, great memory

This was by far the most pleasant smell at Wilderspool; the less pleasant being those encountered in the Fletcher St end toilets (a brick wall) and on the terraces themselves after a few locals had clearly eaten and drunk well on the preceding Saturday night.

Historically a trip to Widnes was always an olifactory safari, not so much nowadays.

• Like 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

It's funny but I smelled that 'second-hand' cigarette smoke smell in my hotel room the other night.  It was either the previous occupant or someone down the corridor, but my throat was red raw the next morning.   How did we get used to it for so long before the year 2000?   It must have been pretty damaging, even second-hand when in a pub or restaurant.

18 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Wintergreen. Always wintergreen.

In the summer era I suppose I’d have to suggest stale lager!

I also assume you mean the Non League Football forum @meast that I’m sure @Hopping Mad also frequents?

That's the one, pretty much the same answers on here as on there.