Fri 16th Feb: SL: Leigh Leopards v Huddersfield Giants KO 8pm (Sky/SL+)

Who will win?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Leigh Leopards
    • Huddersfield Giants

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/02/24 at 20:30

19 minutes ago, dkw said:

Just watched the game on replay, Lam seems to have reverted back to his gameplay at Wigan, totally different to how he had them playing last season, very odd.

Agreed. 

43 minutes ago, meast said:

As for us, I'm not getting carried away, but our new signings and some who failed to impress last year looked well up for it, the celebrations at the end hinted at a good team spirit there.

Did the French lad have a ran out - Salabio. He never did for the Dragons. Went to Wakefield and played a couple of games

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

Don’t know why, but we seemed to have gone away from passing movements to both wings. I thought I was watching a Union team with all those useless short kicks near the opposition line. Reminded me of Reynolds last season/ he was an expert at this, although we are going to miss his goalkicking.

Hope that Tom Amone can calm down. Seem to get targeted last night and did not seem to like it.

13 hours ago, Snowys Backside said:

Not deep enough H and to be fair, Smith allowed Hudds to mess the ruck around good and proper. We was sledged and fell for it hook line and sinker. Not one player stuck out. 

Not liking the new rules one bit. Leutele had no control whatsoever in tackling the man so what next ?  It really is pathetic and I can see players manipulating it to the extent to getting opposing players a yellow card. 

Out coached on and off, we all know Smith ruins the spectacle so it was no surprise when he did as he always does- for some reason we didn’t do the same at the ruck especially with Hilly telling him how it should be, followed by that despicable human Connor when he went off

• Haha 1

Great defensive effort form Fartown last night, we made the self-titled best pack in Super League look more like kittens than Leopards and as for 'Be the roar', the only roar i heard last night was from our players and supporters.

I was impressed with all our debutants, Murchie and Clune definitely look like assets, Swift had limited ball but made some good yards out of defence, Wallis likewise and a great finish in the corner too, but what i was most joyful about was Ash Golding back to full fitness and looking a nuisance, he will be like a new signing too if he can stay fit, his versatility to us could be vital this year.

Leroy Cudjoe in yet another new position but as always 100% effort and performance from him.

We outmuscled, outfought, Leigh and  for once actually stood up and not just matched but had the upper hand over a big, tough pack.

Watson got the tactis and gameplan spot on too, even with the Briscoe try i never once feared we wouldn't win that game, a great start to the season for us.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Josef K said:

What a fantastic victory, id imagine it would’ve been a great night for the fartown fans that made the journey. 

Despite not having eaten, arriving home after midnight tired and weary yes it was a superb night.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, meast said:

I think most of that was down to Huddersfield's defence, we were off our line and closing down space in front of us, we came in and out off the edges in time and in tandem, closing any space down out wide and behind us, we stopped Lam and Moylan from getting any decent time and space to do anything with.

A lot of that was down to our back 3, Cudjoe, Hewitt and Murchie, who all rated highly in our fans' top 3 performers.

I think we just totally shut Leigh out with a massive defensive effort and took our chances at the other end.

I will disagree, yes you were organised in defence BUT if our offense line was deeper as it was last term they would have created the time and space required, you said it yourself re Leigh trying to barge down the middle in my opinion that was the strategy they employed, not until the last 10/15 mins did they start to throw the ball about and stretched the Giants defence more of that and it would have been a far different game.

34 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I will disagree, yes you were organised in defence BUT if our offense line was deeper as it was last term they would have created the time and space required, you said it yourself re Leigh trying to barge down the middle in my opinion that was the strategy they employed, not until the last 10/15 mins did they start to throw the ball about and stretched the Giants defence more of that and it would have been a far different game.

If ifs and ands were pots and pans.............

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

And i disagree with you, early doors i commented it looked like Leigh's tactic was to throw it around and then catch us out with a little grubber, it nearly worked and then did work later in the half, after that we had obviously sussed this tactic out and got into their faces more quickly to prevent this meaning Leigh had to try and beat us another way, they couldn't find a way through a Cyan wall in front of them though.

5 hours ago, daz39 said:

And the winner of round 1's sore loser of the week goes to.........

There was at least 250 in that ground who enjoyed it, including those with drums and cowbells, they were delighted i can assure you 

Me ?

No, I thought Hudds ground out a well deserved win. I’m just frustrated in a very lacklustre, indisciplined display from my team. 

The game as a spectacle?  Wasn’t a deserved prime time viewing spot was it, but I will never take away a well deserved win from any team. 

Well played 👏

3 minutes ago, Snowys Backside said:

Me ?

No, I thought Hudds ground out a well deserved win. I’m just frustrated in a very lacklustre, indisciplined display from my team. 

The game as a spectacle?  Wasn’t a deserved prime time viewing spot was it, but I will never take away a well deserved win from any team. 

Well played 👏

Fair enough, thanks for giving us credit, yuor original post didn't do that and came across as a little bit bitter.

6 hours ago, daz39 said:

Great defensive effort form Fartown last night, we made the self-titled best pack in Super League look more like kittens than Leopards and as for 'Be the roar', the only roar i heard last night was from our players and supporters.

3 hours ago, daz39 said:

Fair enough, thanks for giving us credit, yuor original post didn't do that and came across as a little bit bitter.

Kind of ironic to be getting precious about perceived bitterness when the first thing you did after victory was throw out a couple of digs. Maybe show a little more respect if that's what you want in return?

23 hours ago, audois said:

Did the French lad have a ran out - Salabio. He never did for the Dragons. Went to Wakefield and played a couple of games

He did but only late on, noticed a couple of hit ups and tackles, but he's one for the future I think.

He got a big ban playing for Wakefield I think didn't he?

23 hours ago, daz39 said:

Despite not having eaten, arriving home after midnight tired and weary yes it was a superb night.

One of those games were you can say “i was there”. How did Kevvie Naq, and Swift play ?. 

19 hours ago, LeytherRob said:

Kind of ironic to be getting precious about perceived bitterness when the first thing you did after victory was throw out a couple of digs. Maybe show a little more respect if that's what you want in return?

Digs where? i praised my team and it's supporters, no digs, maybe a hint of sarcasm but definitely no digs.

3 hours ago, Josef K said:

One of those games were you can say “i was there”. How did Kevvie Naq, and Swift play ?. 

Solid, Swift made good yards out of defence but had limited opportunity ot attack, likewise with Kev, 1 or 2 little half breaks but generally we were in defence a lot of the game and did that brilliantly.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Andy JG said:

I'm colour blind and found the darkness of both teams kits irritating and hard to differentiate. Unacceptable really.

Fully agree, but you could still determine that it was a dull, drab, poor game 😂😂

Almost as if Leigh are tracking one year behind Hudds, a play off place and a cup final appearance being followed by a bigger squad and a more difficult season. Only difference is Leigh managed to win their final, while Hudds were agonisingly close.

Watching the tries back, the two biggest worries for me are how disorganised the defensive line was, something that never happened last season, and Lachlan Lam's dreadful kicking game from deep. He still picks out the opposing full back or winger with Beckenbauer like accuracy, and it undermines our entire game as opponents start most sets on the front foot.

I didn't mind the tactic of putting the grubber kicks in. Teams started to push up on our left edge in the second half of last season, so needed another way. Unfortunately too many of the kicks were poorly executed.

On 17/02/2024 at 13:19, audois said:

Hugo Salabio had 11 minutes on the pitch. Other French players were Mickael Goudemand & Justin Sangare with Leeds while  the 4th was Hakin Miloudi at London

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg