Is RL about to blow its big chance?

1 hour ago, barnyia said:

A lot less wrestle makes the the game quicker and more enjoyable. It looks like the play the ball is a lot quicker than last year, 

Yes agree with this, more enjoyable with less wrestle. 

• Like 2

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

24 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Personally think the refs have done a good job so far but the only thing that will blow RL's big chance is the quality of the product on the pitch which in the 2 games I have watched so far has been pretty poor. 

Compared to what? The All Golds tour 1908, last season’s Grand Final, the RU Premiership, Pennine League? 

• Like 2

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

26 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Personally think the refs have done a good job so far but the only thing that will blow RL's big chance is the quality of the product on the pitch which in the 2 games I have watched so far has been pretty poor. 

I don't particularly agree but either way it should be noted that the first few games are never as good standard wise. It takes a few games for players to find their feet, match fitness and to get those combinations going.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Odsal Outlaw said:

I don’t know that I fully get this argument that the sport had to change as much as it is doing. How do UFC, Boxing, NFL manage to retain the aggression? Surely it’s about ensuring people know what they sign up to.

Fair enough if there needs to be a sanitisation at younger age groups. But I think the RFL are being very risk averse.

However, I guess my main point in OP really was whether the game is now more or less attractive. At this moment to me it is a less attractive product. 

UFC boxing and NFL all added layers of protection to the athlete, albeit not as much in UFC.

Amateur boxing head guards mandatory. Only 3 rounds so fatigue less of a factor (when most injuries occur). Big gloves.

NFL starting to remove head contacts and now horse collar tackles which can lead to whiplash. Helmets and pads including 7 point lower pads provide enough protection to keep the aggression levels high

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

The quality of goal kicker is the worst I have seen.

How can teams not focus on a major part of scoring points. 

When you consider all the effort that goes into scoring a try, an uncontested kick at goal should be almost a gimme.

The players are fully professional for heavens sake, how hard is it to incorporate kicking practice and coaching into the weekly training rota.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, yipyee said:

NFL starting to remove head contacts and now horse collar tackles which can lead to whiplash.

I highlighted Lewis doing just that to Okunbor on Thursday night after Okunbor had knocked on and the ball wasn’t in play. Okunbor wasn’t expecting it. There was no need for it but I was called a snowflake and Wilkin thinks Lewis is a character.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

OP remarks on 2025, I haven’t yet considered what this means for England’s participation in international fixtures where the allowable tackle height is higher.

If we have improved our tackling skills by tackling around the body we should improve our chances 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yipyee said:

UFC boxing and NFL all added layers of protection to the athlete, albeit not as much in UFC.

Amateur boxing head guards mandatory. Only 3 rounds so fatigue less of a factor (when most injuries occur). Big gloves.

NFL starting to remove head contacts and now horse collar tackles which can lead to whiplash. Helmets and pads including 7 point lower pads provide enough protection to keep the aggression levels high

NFL has already paid out around a billion dollars in compensation related to concussion and head injuries, with more to come. 

I don’t think the points raised in the OP will hinder RL at all. I’ve never been more excited for a new season in a long time and certainly have noticed a higher profile and positivity this preseason. 
I think the BBC games will also have an impact on profile.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Odsal Outlaw said:

As we start the new season I, like most, have been really impressed with the refreshing way the game has been presented. The impact of IMG seems clear. Good social media, good stories in the news, positive tv deals and a refreshing presentation of the game by Sky.

However the game itself feels less enjoyable. Clearly the amount of cards has a part in this, but these should reduce as players adapt to new rules over time you would think, but we are also slowly removing any aggressive play and this will only get worse from 2025.  The sport is clearly going through a noticeable change, and there is a constant reference to it being needed due to the risk the game faces from health related issues, especially around head injuries. 

Historically fans of TGG have always said that we have the greatest sport in the world, we just need to tell people about it.  Well we are finally starting to tell people about it … but what if we no longer have the greatest game?

I hope I’m wrong by the way.  But I think we need to find a balance in the sport that retains the aggression.

There was plenty of aggression in the Leigh-Huddersfield game last night, most of it controlled, some of it not, which was punished.

I think you're confusing aggression with foul play?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, The 4 of Us said:

Compared to what? The All Golds tour 1908, last season’s Grand Final, the RU Premiership, Pennine League? 

I saw a number of Pennine League games last season played in worse conditions that didn't have as many mistakes.

2 hours ago, Damien said:

I don't particularly agree but either way it should be noted that the first few games are never as good standard wise. It takes a few games for players to find their feet, match fitness and to get those combinations going.

You think the first games have been of a decent standard especially the Hull V KR game? I don't expect elite play in the early rounds but I expect pro players to be able to catch a ball and have decent grip, I mean did either of these teams do any work on the basics in the off season? It certainly didn't appear that way.

1 hour ago, craig hamilton said:

I don’t think the points raised in the OP will hinder RL at all. I’ve never been more excited for a new season in a long time and certainly have noticed a higher profile and positivity this preseason. 

Agreed. Early-season matches are always a bit scrappy, regardless of pre-season games. Same with all team sports.

Are the various negative posts about very minor things just our natural RL antibodies, trying to counteract an unexpected influx of positives for the game?

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

13 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

What I don’t think the game needs, are commentators on every occasion, almost apologising for a referee’s decision to dismiss or reprimand a player for his actions due to new policies on player safety, especially around the head.

Spot on.

As for the title of this thread, RL is not blowing anything, the on field changes are saving the sport in this country from being put out of business.

3 hours ago, Gomersall said:

I highlighted Lewis doing just that to Okunbor on Thursday night after Okunbor had knocked on and the ball wasn’t in play. Okunbor wasn’t expecting it. There was no need for it but I was called a snowflake and Wilkin thinks Lewis is a character.

Not sure about whiplash but it can cause some bloody stress on your joints!

I think we only have a law on ‘holds’ or ‘special holds’.  

• Like 1

Just now, Lowdesert said:

Not sure about whiplash but it can cause some bloody stress on your joints!

I think we only have a law on ‘holds’ or ‘special holds’.  

It appears to me that Lewis can illegally “wind up” opponents because he’s a “character”.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

It appears to me that Lewis can illegally “wind up” opponents because he’s a “character”.

Yeah, he can be a bit silly.  I wish Hull had kept him!

Difficult to take Wilkin seriously.  For an educated man he speaks childishly sometimes and all in front of the cameras.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AB90 said:

The internationals will be interesting because there doesn’t seem to be any indication (or any push) from OZ that they will follow the RFL’s interpretation. It’s almost a bit of a non issue at the moment in OZ.

In 2023, there were 4 red cards in the NRL all year including play offs. 1 game into the Super League season and we are already half that which demonstrates just how different the attitudes are between the hemispheres.

Maybe but Super League so far doesn't seem to follow the OTT of Rugby Unions Ref's and TMO...saw some big hits near the head which in it was Union would of got a red card....I enjoyed the game despite one sided score and the the goal kicking and the red card at the end but roll on the Cas game.

Edited by EggFace

10 hours ago, JohnM said:

It matters not one jot what other sports do, in my view. What matters is what  our sport does, and I believe it is doing the right thing.  The points for me is that our sport is about skill, speed, strength, stamina, competitiveness, discipline, respect and controlled aggression. Maybe it's because of the end of the off- season drought, but I have thoroughly enjoyed the round one games so far. I just wish the commentators would spend less time "critiquing the situation" ( i.e. looking for referring errors and missed transgressions)

Agree, but I think you missed one aspect... attrition.  That is attrition has always been a key aspect and the dominant team benefiting in last quarter.

Seems to me we may be allowing too much periods of no play for various reasons.  Some games last year and whilst not so bad in the Leeds/Salford game last night their was a start stop flow to the game... my one concern is we end up not much different than RU, all be it for different fundamental reasons.

6 hours ago, barnyia said:

A lot less wrestle makes the the game quicker and more enjoyable. It looks like the play the ball is a lot quicker than last year, 

not sure on the evidence of the Leeds/Salford game last night.  For sure in the Hull derby it was much better regards wrestle and quicker PTB.

3 hours ago, craig hamilton said:

This is sort of my point, there is loads of positivity and the profile will be as good as we’ve ever had. My worry then is people watch it and aren’t hooked. But I also hope this isn’t the case.

2 hours ago, meast said:

There was plenty of aggression in the Leigh-Huddersfield game last night, most of it controlled, some of it not, which was punished.

I think you're confusing aggression with foul play?

Not at all. Although I guess what is foul play this year has not always been foul play. Like for example the shoulder charge - something I think was a great aspect of the game.

But I also think we are confusing deliberate foul play and simple accidents which can then result in game changing decisions - again the late Hull sending off on Thursday. The guys just got a facial and is trying to get out of it and gets sent off.

• Like 1

I think Superleague is in the best position it’s been in to grow and breakout since the advent of SL in 1995. IMG are doing a nice job, and providing the game stays focused and looks to build year on year I think we’ll do well. Obvs it can’t happen overnight but provided we are patient it will come.

As this is RL in the UK there’s every chance selfishness from some within the game may slow this down, but here’s hoping it won’t.

despite the current efforts of IMG and RL Commercial - and the clubs, who have upped their game off the pitch, and kudos to them for doing that, I do however feel the overall quality of player playing in SL and coming through the club pathways does need to improve. IMO, of course.
If we can get to a point in the next couple of seasons where the product on the pitch is improving year on year alongside the work being done off the pitch the game will be in a great place to - dare I say it? - genuinely fulfill its potential.

• Like 4

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

26 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

I think Superleague is in the best position it’s been in to grow and breakout since the advent of SL in 1995. IMG are doing a nice job, and providing the game stays focused and looks to build year on year I think we’ll do well. Obvs it can’t happen overnight but provided we are patient it will come.

As this is RL in the UK there’s every chance selfishness from some within the game may slow this down, but here’s hoping it won’t.

despite the current efforts of IMG and RL Commercial - and the clubs, who have upped their game off the pitch, and kudos to them for doing that, I do however feel the overall quality of player playing in SL and coming through the club pathways does need to improve. IMO, of course.
If we can get to a point in the next couple of seasons where the product on the pitch is improving year on year alongside the work being done off the pitch the game will be in a great place to - dare I say it? - genuinely fulfill its potential.

Agree with your point on quality - I’ve just watched some of the Rhinos v Wire 2006 play-off match on Sky in their Retro RL series. I do think the 00’s in SL were a golden era in terms of quality of player.  

But you are right, off the field this feels like our biggest chance since the advent of SL and fair play to IMG they are doing a great job. 

• Like 1