Rugby league has a tramadol problem

Didn't we have a thread on Archie Bruce where this was discussed? Anyhow nice of the BBC to try and put a negative slant on the start of the season and rehash this on the very day it starts. Great timing.

• Like 8

Strange content and timing, it is about the past with no analysis on the current situation. Anyway, I shall look forward to the same author producing a similar headline grabbing article at the start of the next, briefly referred to, Rugby Union and Cycling seasons....

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

That’s some difficult reading. I never came across it myself, but wouldn’t have expected to. Does anyone else have some experiences of Tramadol in change rooms?

A lot of people in union I know use very strong prescription anti flamms (naproxen etc).......and this is 3rd/4th team old man rugby so God knows what the ones take

12 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

That’s some difficult reading. I never came across it myself, but wouldn’t have expected to. Does anyone else have some experiences of Tramadol in change rooms?

I would suggest that Tramadol is pretty tame in some changing rooms especially as you go lower down the leagues. The thing is though, the game is so physical that the players are always going to be taking pain killers of some sorts and like mentioned briefly in that article they are going to need something to help them sleep after games as well. I really don't know what the game can do in that regard. If it isn't tramadol it will be something else.

7 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

I would suggest that Tramadol is pretty tame in some changing rooms especially as you go lower down the leagues. The thing is though, the game is so physical that the players are always going to be taking pain killers of some sorts and like mentioned briefly in that article they are going to need something to help them sleep after games as well. I really don't know what the game can do in that regard. If it isn't tramadol it will be something else.

The game can only educate, which I assume they already do, and if there's peer pressure from others in a squad, how can they mitigate for that? Fully agree with those talking about the timing.

Edited by RigbyLuger
  • Like 1

I'm surprised by the criticism of the BBC running this story. A player died as a result of taking a toxic level of tramadol. The player's family described him as impressionable and keen to fit in, and on record quotes from players saying how ingrained taking dangerous levels of these drugs at least was in the sport. Yet we criticise the BBC for reporting it?

We seem to want to sweep the avoidable death of a teenage player under the carpet. Only the BBC and Total RL have reported on this story. No other rugby league media has as far as I can see it. Why? Because it's uncomfortable perhaps

As a sport, we have banned the use of tramadol this year. I don't know enough about it to say whether this a proportionate and appropriate step but it's clear that the authorities are concerned.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

I'm surprised by the criticism of the BBC running this story. A player died as a result of taking a toxic level of tramadol. The player's family described him as impressionable and keen to fit in, and on record quotes from players saying how ingrained taking dangerous levels of these drugs at least was in the sport. Yet we criticise the BBC for reporting it?

We seem to want to sweep the avoidable death of a teenage player under the carpet. Only the BBC and Total RL have reported on this story. No other rugby league media has as far as I can see it. Why? Because it's uncomfortable perhaps

As a sport, we have banned the use of tramadol this year. I don't know enough about it to say whether this a proportionate and appropriate step but it's clear that the authorities are concerned.

I think the criticism is because the BBC released an article on this on 19th January when the inquest into Archie Bruce's death closed, and then decide to also publish this article four weeks later on the very day that the Super League season started.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

No one has criticised the BBC for reporting it and you obviously havent read what people have said. The BBC reported this at the time of the inquest and there was a thread where all of this was discussed. What does seem odd is this latest rehash on the very day that SL started.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Bang on. It was several years ago that Danny Sculthorpe did a long podcast interview about how he retired from the game with a Tramadol and sleeping pill addiction. A routine of being filled with energy drinks and the buzz of game day, together with the need to nurse the pain from the weekend's fixture to get through the first training session of the week led into a vicious circle.

Not everyone will get into the spiral that he found himself in, but the danger is there.

I have no problem with the timing of this story.

If a sport has a problem, and clearly the sport of Rugby League has one here with this, then the start of a new season is surely the best time to highlight it and bring it into focus.

It is a problem to fix, no need to criticise the messenger. 

• Like 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

38 minutes ago, Damien said:

No one has criticised the BBC for reporting it and you obviously havent read what people have said. The BBC reported this at the time of the inquest and there was a thread where all of this was discussed. What does seem odd is this latest rehash on the very day that SL started.

I’m ok with that. There is a public concern here and if it means writing the story at a particular time to get the story across more eyeballs, then the better.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I have no problem with the timing of this story.

If a sport has a problem, and clearly the sport of Rugby League has one here with this, then the start of a new season is surely the best time to highlight it and bring it into focus.

It is a problem to fix, no need to criticise the messenger. 

Great minds it seems.

Further down the article, "The former rugby union professional added: "As someone who played professional rugby for 17 years it was really common."

So it's not entirely about rugby league.

If pro sportsmen are in such pain that they want to resort to drugs, they should  consider discussing it with the club doctor, rather than self medicating or asking their mates.  

4 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Alcohol is generally not an aid to a good night's sleep.

If they need help sleeping after a game, then they should watch Six Nations, or play harder.

Edited by JohnM
  • Like 1

I was taking tramadol and oxy-contin for years before I had a knee replacement, what I can say from a personal point is that these pills really do work with severe pain. They give you a really nice euphoric feeling and aid to a good night's sleep.

The problem is, is when it's time to come off them. I was on these for 4-5 years and was at max dosage by the end and let me tell you it was torture. 2-3 weeks looking like I was in Trainspotting movie.

After doing research online, there is a massive amount of athletes taking these 'opiate' type painkillers, and the clubs doctors were doling them out here there and everywhere. 

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Stainesrover said:

I was taking tramadol and oxy-contin for years before I had a knee replacement, what I can say from a personal point is that these pills really do work with severe pain. They give you a really nice euphoric feeling and aid to a good night's sleep.

The problem is, is when it's time to come off them. I was on these for 4-5 years and was at max dosage by the end and let me tell you it was torture. 2-3 weeks looking like I was in Trainspotting movie.

After doing research online, there is a massive amount of athletes taking these 'opiate' type painkillers, and the clubs doctors were doling them out here there and everywhere. 

I’ve had the same op 6 months ago after losing my ACL aged 19 and then playing on for 10 years.

My knee “looked like an 80 year old” when I turned 40 and I now have pain in most joints. 

I have used Naproxen on prescription to cope before op, and a mix of painkillers post op. Coming off them wasn’t pleasant and a difficult part of the process.

I’ve needed to take a couple of painkillers before going to gym earlier today, although I only do so if it becomes too much. 

Which is why when I’ve seen the debate this week about how the sport has gone soft because it’s trying to protect players welfare, I just roll my eyes and wonder if those who are doing the winging,  have ever actually pulled boots on. 

I’ve only ever played amateur and me and my associates in just one team have had at least 3 knee replacements between us.

It’s a tough tough sport. Just imagine having to do it as a job and putting your body under all that strain. It’s no surprise to me so many have to take painkillers to get through the day. 

As for the BBC publishing the story, although the timing is a bit iffy, the content is not. The sport needs to deal with it.

Can’t complain about wanting to be a big sport and having stories published like this. 

Edited by The 4 of Us
  • Like 1

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

6 hours ago, Stainesrover said:

There’s a really good film about oxy-contin. Can’t remember its name but not surprised you looked like an extra in Trainspotting. 

54 minutes ago, The 4 of Us said:

I’ve had the same op 6 months ago after losing my ACL aged 19 and then playing on for 10 years.

My knee “looked like an 80 year old” when I turned 40 and I now have pain in most joints. 

I have used Naproxen on prescription to cope before op, and a mix of painkillers post op. Coming off them wasn’t pleasant and a difficult part of the process.

I’ve needed to take a couple of painkillers before going to gym earlier today, although I only do so if it becomes too much. 

Which is why when I’ve seen the debate this week about how the sport has gone soft because it’s trying to protect players welfare, I just roll my eyes and wonder if those who are doing the winging,  have ever actually pulled boots on. 

I’ve only ever playeres amateur and me and my associates in just one team have had at least 3 knee replacements between us.

It’s a tough tough sport. Just imagine having to do it as a job and putting your body under all that strain. It’s no surprise to me so many have to take painkillers to get through the day. 

As for the BBC publishing the story, although the timing is a bit iffy, the content is not. The sport needs to deal with it.

Can’t complain about wanting to be a big sport and having stories published like this. 

All pro clubs will receive up to date guidance on what they can take and what they can’t mate.  The Standard used to be produced by Sports Council, now by WADA (International Standard).  I know that the time I was involved in the pro game we weren’t allowed anything - even aspirin - but the external testing/monitoring was not what it should have been.

Now, (as in 2024) we have stricter, international Standard.  I am not sure how keen the wada club testing regimes are but they will been keener.   All this stuff is clearly identified and if a player is unsure they should go straight to the club doctor.  Not a players dad/‘friend’, etc etc.  For what it’s worth Tramadol is now classed under Narcotics as banned in season.

Sorry to hear about the knees btw😟

On 16/02/2024 at 23:54, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

What a surprise, the BBC sh** on our season launch. It's a very sad story, and a serious issue, but the inquest concluded in January and this was reported then. To re-report it in the last week is an active choice, with no other purpose than to run a negative story during our opening weekend. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GeordieSaint said:

There’s a really good film about oxy-contin. Can’t remember its name but not surprised you looked like an extra in Trainspotting. 

Having had Oxycontin whilst my sternum healed after open heart surgery I'm delighted to confirm it's an absolutely amazing drug, better than any beer, wine or absinthe you'll ever drink in your life. If I didn't know better I'd still be merrily taking it (having watched the Dopesick series I was very conscious of the downsides)... so genuinely not surprised at all that people get addicted to it, rapidly. Drugs like that should be very tightly regulated. This isn't some sort of strong paracetamol..!!

Edited by Worzel
Typo

9 minutes ago, Worzel said:

What a surprise, the BBC sh** on our season launch. It's a very sad story, and a serious issue, but the inquest concluded in January and this was reported then. To re-report it in the last week is an active choice, with no other purpose than to run a negative story during our opening weekend. 

Yeah, although the piece does mention RU the headline is all Rugby League.  Deliberate.