Sat 17th Feb: SL: Castleford Tigers v Wigan Warriors KO 5.30pm (Sky/BBC/SL+)

Who will win?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Castleford Tigers
    • Wigan Warriors

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/02/24 at 18:00

That was great defence from Cas, just before that try, but numbers told.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Every first round of every single season, the referee cards someone correctly according to the rules as they stand.

Every single time, a bunch of keyboard warriors post that "the game's gone".

This has been the case since the internet was invented.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 8

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, EggFace said:

It's going to turn off a lot of people...looked forward to this game but switched over to Dragons v Wolves game.

Please NRL don't follow us Brits.

You make that sound like the Dragons v Wolves game is played under different rules.

4 minutes ago, EggFace said:

It's going to turn off a lot of people...looked forward to this game but switched over to Dragons v Wolves game.

Please NRL don't follow us Brits.

Yeah, me too. This game’s gone!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Every first round of every single season, the referee cards someone correctly according to the rules as they stand.

Every single time, a bunch of keyboard warriors post that "the game's gone".

This has been the case since the internet was invented.

Agreed.

And to add, hitting someone in the head has been outlawed since the game began.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I’ve never been one of those “game’s gone” merchants, times have changed and we need to move on, but even I think that was daft. The attacker was falling into the tackle, the defender had no intent and didn’t have time to wrap because of the attackers loss of height. Classic in-game accident.

For a live ref to misjudge it is one thing, but for a video ref to analyse it and make that call ignoring all of the context they can see in the replay is just weird. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4:16 at HT

Game still alive, despite the red card.

• Haha 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I know the law of the game says that is a red but it does seem harsh when dumping someone on their head only gets you a yellow. Both teams should have a man off right now. 

So it's not harsh. The referee should have been harsher?

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, Worzel said:

I’ve never been one of those “game’s gone” merchants, times have changed and we need to move on, but even I think that was daft. The attacker was falling into the tackle, the defender had no intent and didn’t have time to wrap because of the attackers loss of height. Classic in-game accident.

For a live ref to misjudge it is one thing, but for a video ref to analyse it and make that call ignoring all of the context they can see in the replay is just weird. 

Just because a attacker loses height doesn't take away all responsibility from the defender. There has been numerous red and yellow cards for high shots in the last 10 years from defenders falling into a shoulder or arm.

• Like 2

5,124 viewing directly through the BBC website. I'm one of them (the son has nabbed the TV for City v Chelsea).

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I know the law of the game says that is a red but it does seem harsh when dumping someone on their head only gets you a yellow. Both teams should have a man off right now. 

It's about how it happens not the result.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

5,124 viewing directly through the BBC website. I'm one of them (the son has nabbed the TV for City v Chelsea).

That's some bad parenting, right there. :kolobok_wink:

• Haha 2

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Click said:

Just because an attacker loses height doesn't take away all responsibility from the defender. There has been numerous red and yellow cards for high shots in the last 10 years from defenders falling into a shoulder or arm.

You’re right, it doesn’t. And I’d have accepted a yellow for lack of caution. But a red is a step too far for me, and if that’s where the line is then we’re going to have a lot of them as a result of genuinely unavoidable accidental collisions in what is still a contact sport. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Not sure Watts is off and not Westermam when Westerman hit him in the head with his shoulder before Watts.

It is difficult to see for certain as it happened so fast but to me it looked like Westerman's initial contact was with Dupree's shoulder, which caused his head to bounce into Watts, who then barges into Dupree's head.

Edited by gavin7094
  • Like 1

I completely missed the Kaide Ellis high shot - I also think that should have been a yellow or a red, rather than just a penalty. 

Guess the only real difference is the arm compared to shoulder.

Not the best of games and a scrappy first half. Obviously this is largely due to the terrible conditions. 

On the sending off for me it's not a sending off due to the way Dupree is dipping. There is some mitigation there for me. Watts doesn't help himself though by making no attempt to lower his body or wrap and he just leads with his shoulder. That probably saw him see red.