showing the other scores live updates

1 minute ago, my missus said:

sky won't stop showing scores the whole point of showing all the games is to drive viewing figures down so they can drop the price they pay on the next deal.

Yes obviously Sky would harm their own business model to do that.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, my missus said:

sky won't stop showing scores the whole point of showing all the games is to drive viewing figures down so they can drop the price they pay on the next deal.

if they wanted to do that they'd only show Hull games every week

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, my missus said:

That’s a seriously weird take

3 hours ago, Damien said:

Yes obviously Sky would harm their own business model to do that.

they have been doing it for years now.

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

On 17/02/2024 at 16:15, graveyard johnny said:

so basically all the games are on but you can only watch one without knowing the result making the others redundant for later viewing

The obvious solution is to put them all on at once...

TV, tablet, laptop, smartphone.

Problem solved.

You're welcome.

• Confused 1
Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

1 hour ago, my missus said:

they have been doing it for years now.

What, purposely make less money from subscribers and advertisers to then pay less in TV contracts? 

I mean have you remotely thought about what that actually means?

12 hours ago, Dave T said:

They haven't always given scores of another game that they are showing live on another channel. In fact, this weekend is the first time they've done it in Rugby League.

Nicely said, Dave.

11 hours ago, DavidM said:

Very surprised they showed the scores . Seemed counterproductive as well for Sky . 

Why?

The alternative is taking eyeballs away from Sky via apps, updates from other companies etc. If Sky put it on screen during the game and the other game is also on Sky then there is no reason the viewer needs to leave Sky.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

51 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Why?

The alternative is taking eyeballs away from Sky via apps, updates from other companies etc. If Sky put it on screen during the game and the other game is also on Sky then there is no reason the viewer needs to leave Sky.

That isn't the alternative at all. Sky show every game live. 

The simple alternative is for the commentator (or on-screen graphics) to remind people that other fixtures are on and ALL LIVE ON SKY - and people can move between them if they want.

This is the point that you seem to refuse to acknowledge, and is at the heart of the whole discussion - Sky can keep everyone in their eco-system.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I just wouldn't schedule games at the same time...

31 minutes ago, Dave T said:

One diacussion at a time Tommy 🤣

That’s right @Tommygilf, one discussion at a time please. Some people on here are struggling enough as it is to grasp the most basic concept of spoilers.

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

I just wouldn't schedule games at the same time...

Well, quite. But teams are obsessed with Friday evenings.

OTOH, I wouldn't moan and whine because I find out the score of a live sporting fixture whilst watching a sports channel.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

That isn't the alternative at all. Sky show every game live. 

The simple alternative is for the commentator (or on-screen graphics) to remind people that other fixtures are on and ALL LIVE ON SKY - and people can move between them if they want.

This is the point that you seem to refuse to acknowledge, and is at the heart of the whole discussion - Sky can keep everyone in their eco-system.

I'm refusing to acknowledge it because it's as ridiculous as when BBC News used to tell people to look away now before Match of the Day.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Well, quite. But teams are obsessed with Friday evenings.

OTOH, I wouldn't moan and whine because I find out the score of a live sporting fixture whilst watching a sports channel.

Some are yes. I really struggle with us not having a spread of matches though, particularly on Saturday and Sunday where we aren't limited to 1 slot and we don't have a huge fanbase.

I don't think its that controversial to have scores from concurrent games be relayed in, Sky have done live updates in game for a number of years now. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I'm refusing to acknowledge it because it's as ridiculous as when BBC News used to tell people to look away now before Match of the Day.

Just because something isn't an issue for you personally doesn't mean it isn't an issue. 

It's perfectly valid to disagree and actually want score updates for other games, I get it, but going down the route of claiming the alternative is for people to leave Sky or that there is no such thing as spoilers on live sport is bizarre. 

And companies are still out there offering spoiler free developments on their broadcasting apps, because, well, it's a thing. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Some are yes. I really struggle with us not having a spread of matches though, particularly on Saturday and Sunday where we aren't limited to 1 slot and we don't have a huge fanbase.

I don't think its that controversial to have scores from concurrent games be relayed in, Sky have done live updates in game for a number of years now. 

Sky have only done what we are talking about twice now in RL. Last Friday and Saturday. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Just because something isn't an issue for you personally doesn't mean it isn't an issue. 

It's perfectly valid to disagree and actually want score updates for other games, I get it, but going down the route of claiming the alternative is for people to leave Sky or that there is no such thing as spoilers on live sport is bizarre. 

And companies are still out there offering spoiler free developments on their broadcasting apps, because, well, it's a thing. 

Apps is different. You’re definitely into a very niche audience there. Do what you like. Hence my earlier comment that SL+ could find a fix.

I’m talking about what happens on Sky itself during a live match. The vast majority will want to know what’s going on and, I would bet, be somewhat surprised that they are not getting updates in a straightforward way because a few people might want to watch an already played game the next morning in ignorance of the score.

27 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Apps is different. You’re definitely into a very niche audience there. Do what you like. Hence my earlier comment that SL+ could find a fix.

I’m talking about what happens on Sky itself during a live match. The vast majority will want to know what’s going on and, I would bet, be somewhat surprised that they are not getting updates in a straightforward way because a few people might want to watch an already played game the next morning in ignorance of the score.

I don't know how big you think the casual audience is for Sky RL compared to diehards.

Trying to avoid spoilers has been a thing in sport for as long as I can remember - You don't care if you know the score of something before you watch it, that is completely fine for you, but others don't hold that viewpoint. 

You keep mentioning other sports like CL on TNT, and how they update for other games going on, can a viewer on TNT switch over to another game? Or do they watch what is being broadcasted?

I know my Dad is similar to others on here that were avoiding spoilers, he watched the first half of the Cat - Warrington game, and then first half of Cas - Wigan before going to finish the second half of Cat - Warrington to try and avoid spoilers.

I highly doubt there will be masses of people that are surprised that there aren't live score updates coming up on screen, the majority wouldn't notice it I would imagine. If SKY want to point people to other matches, they can say something a long the lines of "it is a close game in X v X" rather than actually giving away the score. 

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

On the flip side here, and we are both making assumptions based on our preferences, but if Wilson hadn't stopped talking about the Catalans v Wire game to tell us that Wigan had taken the lead in Castleford and that Watts had been red carded, I'm not sure anyone would have batted an eyelid. 

3 minutes ago, Click said:

You don't care if you know the score of something before you watch it, that is completely fine for you, but others don't hold that viewpoint. 

You keep mentioning other sports like CL on TNT, and how they update for other games going on, can a viewer on TNT switch over to another game? Or do they watch what is being broadcasted?

I very rarely watch sport that isn't live. I don't think I'm in a minority or else the viewing figures and schedules would show equivalent or close to equivalent numbers for full replays as for the live broadcast. They don't. It is a very niche thing to do.

I do also expect a broadcast of a sport to want to talk about and give detail about what else is happening in that sport. And that does include live scores from elsewhere. Given that that is how - with only a handful of exceptions it appears - other sports around the world are covered, again, it seems I'm not in the minority.

As for the Champions League: TNT normally give over all their channels, or as many as they need, to the games and they will update the scores on all games in each individual live match.