Newcastle Thunder v Wakefield Trinity

1 hour ago, thunder pete said:

Just been confirmed as 1378

Hopefully that crowd figure plus the income from the merchandise that was on sale will give Newcastle some decent cash.

• Like 5

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

6 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Newcastle put out a team that was mostly academy graduates- that was a big positive for me

It's good they are trying to bring their own young players through, but thrashings like that are no good for anyone.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

It's good they are trying to bring their own young players through, but thrashings like that are no good for anyone.

If you pitch the bottom ranked League One side against the top of the Championship it’s going to happen. Remember Newcastle wanted to fold last year, they’re doing well just getting a team out given the circumstances.   I’d save any judgement until they’re playing against League One Clubs

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Spidey said:

If you pitch the bottom ranked League One side against the top of the Championship it’s going to happen. Remember Newcastle wanted to fold last year, they’re doing well just getting a team out given the circumstances.   I’d save any judgement until they’re playing against League One Clubs

I hope they do well this season, my opinion was based on young up and coming lads being on the end of that sort of result.

• Like 1

Wouldn't it be good if some of the bigger clubs allowed Newcastle the free use of few of there fringe players that need game time.

It would be nice to see the rugby community helping Newcastle find there feet, it's great to see them develop there own academy players.

A team established in the North East will be great for our sport and expanding the profile of the game, good luck guys

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, up the robins said:

Wouldn't it be good if some of the bigger clubs allowed Newcastle the free use of few of there fringe players that need game time.

It would be nice to see the rugby community helping Newcastle find there feet, it's great to see them develop there own academy players.

A team established in the North East will be great for our sport and expanding the profile of the game, good luck guys

I heard last week that York are sending 4 lads on loan to Thunder in time for the L1 season. Not sure how accurate that is or which players, but if its true its win win for both clubs IMO. 👌🏼

• Like 5

7 hours ago, up the robins said:

You mean like most of the clubs already use. It’s called dual reg and is destroying the game 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

On 18/02/2024 at 16:52, Phil W said:

Well done to Wakefield, they've turned up and done their job in a professional way, as a Thunder fan I wouldn't expect any different.

I know most will be aware, our start off the back of two weeks pre-season has been York, Sheffield and Wakefield it doesn't get much tougher.

We are starting from scratch trying to be sustainable. As a club we have to stick together. 

What I would like is if people can make Thunder their second team as it will be tough but we do feel the goodwill of the rugby league family.

Support us if you're near where we're playing or share and like anything on social media. There is an option to buy a £50 membership online. 

Please post the link re membership.

Keep going - things will get easier 

2 hours ago, DEANO said:

the

Yes dual reg exist but the ins and outs are not clear as to who pays the wages while out on dual reg. 

I can't see how clubs helping another club become more competitive which has had to start from the  bottom can be seen as bad for the sport.

A club getting smashed every week is not going to build Intrest in the community.

On 19/02/2024 at 08:22, Spidey said:

If you pitch the bottom ranked League One side against the top of the Championship it’s going to happen. 

top of the championship? how many rounds have I  missed?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

On 18/02/2024 at 16:52, Phil W said:

Well done to Wakefield, they've turned up and done their job in a professional way, as a Thunder fan I wouldn't expect any different.

I know most will be aware, our start off the back of two weeks pre-season has been York, Sheffield and Wakefield it doesn't get much tougher.

We are starting from scratch trying to be sustainable. As a club we have to stick together. 

What I would like is if people can make Thunder their second team as it will be tough but we do feel the goodwill of the rugby league family.

Support us if you're near where we're playing or share and like anything on social media. There is an option to buy a £50 membership online. 

Just asking but why are you starting from scratch ? Surely with Thunder having scholarship, academy and reserves for the past few seasons where are these players now? Not sure all can have just signed for other clubs at the end of last year.

• Like 1

On 19/02/2024 at 12:10, up the robins said:

Dual reg over the past 3 seasons is probably the cause of Thunder having to start their team from scratch!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NETIGER said:

Dual reg over the past 3 seasons is probably the cause of Thunder having to start their team from scratch!

Yes, I am sure it is Dual Reg that caused the demise of Thunder. Not about having any money or anything along those lines.

Edited by Click

4 hours ago, NETIGER said:

Just asking but why are you starting from scratch ? Surely with Thunder having scholarship, academy and reserves for the past few seasons where are these players now? Not sure all can have just signed for other clubs at the end of last year.

If they did have all the above the lads would have had no chance of breaking into the team because of dual reg

• Like 1

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

On 19/02/2024 at 22:17, up the robins said:

Yes dual reg exist but the ins and outs are not clear as to who pays the wages while out on dual reg. 

I can't see how clubs helping another club become more competitive which has had to start from the  bottom can be seen as bad for the sport.

A club getting smashed every week is not going to build Intrest in the community.

In the case of York and Newcastle, York will pay the wages.

They will bill a cost + VAT to Thunder.  The cost is not necessarily the same as the cost of the player's wages.  Could be more, could be less, could be the same.

The main reason for York paying the wages is to avoid the player ending up with a sheaf of P45s.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

On 20/02/2024 at 16:09, graveyard johnny said:

top of the championship? how many rounds have I  missed?

Nowhere near the top on alphabetical order.

• Like 1

On 21/02/2024 at 12:50, Cheadle Leyther said:

Why were they put in a group including Wakefield? 

For a cash boost.  Which they needed.

If Sheffield and Doncaster don't play the Midlands, who will ?