MRP Minutes

20 hours ago, Damien said:

I dont know why it would, people play the game because they enjoy it and at professional level make a decent living. They aren't going to quit just because they get a ban for foul play.

they cant enjoy it living in the fear they will get sent off every other match for clumsy contact - it takes a lot of training hours and dedication - for what?  marching orders?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

2 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

they cant enjoy it living in the fear they will get sent off every other match for clumsy contact - it takes a lot of training hours and dedication - for what?  marching orders?

I played amateur Rugby League for a decade, never got sent off and could count on two hands the number of times I made clumsy contact with someone’s head.  And the physical part of the game was my favourite aspect of Rugby League.

The bottom line is that players need to adapt.  I mean it was the likes of McIlorum and Watts getting sent off, it’s not as if they haven’t seen cards before and all of a sudden these players fall foul of a new rule.  They have had their fair share of early baths.

• Like 4

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 hours ago, phiggins said:

It is believed to be this, I think 

Unless he is referring to the Luetele sin bin, which to me looked like initial contact with the shoulder of a ball carrier that is falling. Which, seems very harsh to me.

It is that one, it's head to head contact, it's Amones responsibility to not tackle upright and instigate the head on head contact.

They're clamping down on it.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

An interesting element to this debate is the players themselves. Walmsley’s comments about a players union and having a say in decisions that impact the game is an interesting debate. Seen others today as well (not from the retired player cohort). 

So the players may be seeing that sonethig sensible has to be considered, a bit different from the passive set on here.

4 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

It is that one, it's head to head contact, it's Amones responsibility to not tackle upright and instigate the head on head contact.

They are, though the tackle technique itself is not outlawed until next year. And given the speed of the collision suggests any head contact must be minimal, glancing contact at best. 
I’d expect Leigh to be challenging the grading on that one next week (apparently they don’t have to lodge an appeal tonight given the bye in round 2)

26 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

The framing of Bower's tweet seems to want you to feel that it's a nonsense ban. As you've explained, and the players have had the opportunity to have explained to them, that's being clamped down on. If we, and journalists, fans, whoever are all on this, pretend that's not the case, it's just stupid and dangerous.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Amone makes no attempt to get his head out of the way despite the attcker pretty much running straight at him. Again its poor technique by the defender and will result in a ban going forward.

It’s resulted in a ban now. 

4 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

The framing of Bower's tweet seems to want you to feel that it's a nonsense ban. As you've explained, and the players have had the opportunity to have explained to them, that's being clamped down on. If we, and journalists, fans, whoever are all on this, pretend that's not the case, it's just stupid and dangerous.

But how does the grading work. His head is to the side, and probably glanced the ball carrier at most. If there was full head clash at that pace they’d both be off for HIAs. 

10 minutes ago, phiggins said:

But how does the grading work. His head is to the side, and probably glanced the ball carrier at most. If there was full head clash at that pace they’d both be off for HIAs. 

That I don't know! HIAs are down to the independent head checkers, I think? That is something that probably needs explaining more.

Leigh statement, obviously they cant function without Degsy:

Leigh Leopards can confirm that they have requested dispensation from the RFL to deal with the charges brought from their opening fixtures to be dealt with next week, given they have no game at the weekend and their owner, who would deal with the presentation of defences to charges, is currently out of the country. This has been granted by the RFL. No further comments will be made by the club at this stage other than to thank the RFL for agreeing to the club’s request.

https://leighleopards.co.uk/club-statement-round-1-charges/

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Damien said:

Leigh Leopards can confirm that they have requested dispensation from the RFL to deal with the charges brought from their opening fixtures to be dealt with next week, given they have no game at the weekend and their owner, who would deal with the presentation of defences to charges, is currently out of the country. This has been granted by the RFL. No further comments will be made by the club at this stage other than to thank the RFL for agreeing to the club’s request.

That’s just ridiculous- is he a control freak or something? 🤣🤣

52 minutes ago, Damien said:

Could Hardaker not represent them, apparently he brings a "high level of professionalism to the game".

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

45 minutes ago, Spidey said:

That’s just ridiculous- is he a control freak or something? 🤣🤣

I can answer that.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, M j M said:

Sadly Leigh sometimes manage to reinforce that suspicion that they are still a bit of a tin pot outfit. What the hell have player appeals got to do with Beaumont?

I do despair at Leigh’s comms at times.  Didn’t even need to release anything. It’s deferred for a week while we don’t have a game. Who cares?! 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, phiggins said:

I do despair at Leigh’s comms at times.  Didn’t even need to release anything. It’s deferred for a week while we don’t have a game. Who cares?! 

Yup - even if they did say something, they didn't really have to go into that level of detail. 

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Yup - even if they did say something, they didn't really have to go into that level of detail. 

Only a matter of time before a statement goes out saying they’ve asked to delay an appeal because Derek’s got the trots 

• Haha 2