Vegas Again/2025 and WCC

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

Are there any monetary values of international tv deals that can be used as a benchmark for RL? 

It's a similar conversation to some of the TWP stuff, where people claimed we could get x% of the market it'd be worth £xxm's per year. But in reality, Fox in the US can probably pick these rights up for a pittance. 

Is there a precedent here for international sports earning money from traditional tv deals from American broadcasters? 

Football is obviously different gravy but according to wiki:

NBC Sports reached a six-year extension with the Premier League in 2015 to broadcast the league through the 2021–22 season in a deal valued at $1 billion (£640 million).

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I believe the only foreign sport to get decent money with a US TV deal is soccer and, very specifically, Premier League and La Liga.

15 minutes ago, Damien said:

Football is obviously different gravy but according to wiki:

NBC Sports reached a six-year extension with the Premier League in 2015 to broadcast the league through the 2021–22 season in a deal valued at $1 billion (£640 million).

Cheers - I did mean to highlight football as an exclusion, as you both point out, it is operating on a different level.

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I could read this one - not blocked by a paywall this time. This is interesting:

"US bookmakers such as Fanduel do not currently pay product fees to US sports including the NFL and NBA."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-s-las-vegas-matches-struggle-to-win-over-american-viewers-20240306-p5fa8g.html

(To note: I disagree with its assessment of the TV figures, I think they're pretty good for a niche sport at an odd time. Not enough to generate millions in revenue but enough to be worthy of a regular spot in the schedule)

Bookies paying for content is quite rare. In the UK they pay a set fee for horse and greyhound racing, but that is only so that the events actually take place because, frankly, who goes to watch horse racing on a Tuesday afternoon? Bookies do not pay for the rights to offer bets on any other sport.

I know this is not the case in Australia, where bookies do pay for content, but getting any money out of the US is going to be very difficult. In fact, I think the British bookmakers have entered the US market pretty hard since the laws were liberalised and them not have a history of paying fees will make it harder still for the NRL.

• Like 1

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

1 hour ago, nadera78 said:

Bookies paying for content is quite rare. In the UK they pay a set fee for horse and greyhound racing, but that is only so that the events actually take place because, frankly, who goes to watch horse racing on a Tuesday afternoon? Bookies do not pay for the rights to offer bets on any other sport.

I know this is not the case in Australia, where bookies do pay for content, but getting any money out of the US is going to be very difficult. In fact, I think the British bookmakers have entered the US market pretty hard since the laws were liberalised and them not have a history of paying fees will make it harder still for the NRL.

Didn’t bookmakers used to have to pay for the right to use football fixture lists to base their offered bets on? 🤷🏼

5 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

Didn’t bookmakers used to have to pay for the right to use football fixture lists to base their offered bets on? 🤷🏼

Yes. Looks like it ended in 2012.

• Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 hours ago, Martyn Sadler said:

They would be grim if they were prime time figures.

But, to put them into context, 61,000 for a game kicking off at 9.30pm EST (and which only transferred to Fox Sports 1 after 17 minutes) and 44,000 for a game starting at 11.30 EST may or may not be below the average figures for sport that commences at those times.

Just to put things in perspective, Gonzaga at St Marys, which tipped off at 10 pm EST, drew little over a million on ESPN. It was a rivalry game with big implications for both teams, but at the same time for your average American, regular season college basketball isn't must see TV.

But I think the bigger point is the power of ESPN over FS1. 10 years since its launch, FS1 is still struggling to compete outside of college football season, even then Im sure ESPN still wins. Nobody thinks to put FS1 on, while ESPN on in the background at home or at the bar is a given. In my area, ESPN is on channel 12 while FS1 is 63 or 64.

• Like 2

From an non-sports Us group on Facebook: "Guys, this sport is AWESOME!!! And it’s on TV in the USA (FS1). It’s like football without pads and a lot more kicking. No breaks, 13 players, everyone plays offense, defense, and special teams. 6 downs to go the entire field. No blocking or forward passes"

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 02/03/2024 at 12:50, ATLANTISMAN said:

You have hit the nail on the head.

One thing i would say though if RL commercial think having a match here would work forget it,the prices for the majority of RL fans are to expensive and our fan base is too narrow.

Flight for us 4 wife and 2 boys 3200

Hotel 3 nights 900 (No food)

Breakfast just now very modest 100

Lunch yesterday no wine just beers 300

Tickets 800 (OK our choice)

Food over 3 days beers etc 1200

Taxis 60

That's just basics before any shopping which is our choice

Total you are looking at around over 6K ridiculous Vegas is as expensive as Norway even more i would say.

On a happier note 3 pairs of Oakleys 50% off:)))))

Those air ticket prices are from the UK or Europe. Air travel from Australia and New Zealand will be even more expensive. Probably double.

With those exorbitant process, only well to do NRL fans who follow the Sydney Roosters (Eastern Suburbs) and Manly (northern suburbs) will want to come back.

Certainly most fans of Penrith, Canterbury, Wests Tigers, North Queensland, Newcastle and the Dolphins will not be able to afford it. 

2 hours ago, Bradman Better said:

Those air ticket prices are from the UK or Europe. Air travel from Australia and New Zealand will be even more expensive. Probably double.

With those exorbitant process, only well to do NRL fans who follow the Sydney Roosters (Eastern Suburbs) and Manly (northern suburbs) will want to come back.

Certainly most fans of Penrith, Canterbury, Wests Tigers, North Queensland, Newcastle and the Dolphins will not be able to afford it. 

Flight costs from Australia are similar to those from the UK, and you dont have to spend huge amounts to survive a few days in Vegas.

On 07/03/2024 at 12:05, Bradman Better said:

No brainer for next year 

Canberra Raiders 

New Zealand Warriors

Melbourne Storm 

Nailed on + one more 

Cronulla Sharks secure $5 million windfall after a big night in New York | The Australian

Sharks powerbrokers have detailed an extraordinary 48-hours in New York that has resulted in an immediate $5 million cash injection from one of Australia’s most influential businessmen.

Flying from the NRL season launch in Las Vegas to New York last Sunday, Sharks chairman Steve Mace and CEO Dino Mezzatesta met with Mike Dorrell, the CEO and co-founder of US$61 billion global investment firm Stonepeak.

From a meeting with Dorrell at his plush New York offices, Cronulla’s most significant decision-makers were taken to dinner at one of the Big Apple’s most exclusive clubs.

Born in Sutherland Shire with his father a teacher of Port Hacking High, Dorrell owns Stonepeak, an American investment powerhouse headquartered in New York City.

The firm invests in infrastructure, with offices in Hong Kong, Houston, London, Sydney and Singapore.

It is the largest independent infrastructure investment firm in the world.

“This is for the Sharks club and fans,‘’ Dorrell said of his multimillion-dollar cash gift to the club.

“I have followed the Sharks religiously since I was a young boy, from Steve Rogers, to ET (Ettingshausen) and Mark ”Sparkles” McGaw, to David Peachey and onwards.

“I have watched and re-watched the 2016 Grand Final, a game which gave every Sharks fan a near heart attack in the final minutes, followed by a multi-generational outpouring of joy when we won.

“My dad taught at Port Hacking High School and is a Sharks fan.

“My brother Simon played professionally. Rugby League is in our blood.

“I can’t speak highly enough about the current players and management.

“Let’s not wait 50 years for another premiership.”

Mace said Dorrell’s investment in the Sharks was validation for the club’s trajectory.

“Mike’s support and involvement with the Sharks will undoubtedly bring a significant boost to our reputation and financial standing,” Mace said.

“Both Dino and myself are delighted to welcome lifelong Sharks supporters into the club’s family.

“We didn’t know what to expect. We hit it off immediately with Mike, Lucas and Ben. Like old mates with a shared love of the game.

“The collaboration with the Dorrell family is expected to provide invaluable support to the Sharks and further elevate the club’s stature.”

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Cronulla Sharks secure $5 million windfall after a big night in New York | The Australian

Sharks powerbrokers have detailed an extraordinary 48-hours in New York that has resulted in an immediate $5 million cash injection from one of Australia’s most influential businessmen.

Flying from the NRL season launch in Las Vegas to New York last Sunday, Sharks chairman Steve Mace and CEO Dino Mezzatesta met with Mike Dorrell, the CEO and co-founder of US$61 billion global investment firm Stonepeak.

From a meeting with Dorrell at his plush New York offices, Cronulla’s most significant decision-makers were taken to dinner at one of the Big Apple’s most exclusive clubs.

Born in Sutherland Shire with his father a teacher of Port Hacking High, Dorrell owns Stonepeak, an American investment powerhouse headquartered in New York City.

The firm invests in infrastructure, with offices in Hong Kong, Houston, London, Sydney and Singapore.

“This is for the Sharks club and fans,‘’ Dorrell said of his multimillion-dollar cash gift to the club.

“I have followed the Sharks religiously since I was a young boy, from Steve Rogers, to ET (Ettingshausen) and Mark ”Sparkles” McGaw, to David Peachey and onwards.

“I have watched and re-watched the 2016 Grand Final, a game which gave every Sharks fan a near heart attack in the final minutes, followed by a multi-generational outpouring of joy when we won.

Mace said Dorrell’s investment in the Sharks was validation for the club’s trajectory.

“Mike’s support and involvement with the Sharks will undoubtedly bring a significant boost to our reputation and financial standing,” Mace said.

“Both Dino and myself are delighted to welcome lifelong Sharks supporters into the club’s family.

“We didn’t know what to expect. We hit it off immediately with Mike, Lucas and Ben. Like old mates with a shared love of the game.

“The collaboration with the Dorrell family is expected to provide invaluable support to the Sharks and further elevate the club’s stature.”

I continue to be hugely impressed with Mace and Dino and the fantastic financial and on field position the club finds itself in, only less than ten years after the club was considered the league liability and on it’s deathbed. It really shows how important every one of the existing Sydney clubs are to the game and the grand opportunity each of them have to be significantly more successful than they already are. 

24 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

I continue to be hugely impressed with Mace and Dino and the fantastic financial and on field position the club finds itself in, only less than ten years after the club was considered the league liability and on it’s deathbed. It really shows how important every one of the existing Sydney clubs are to the game and the grand opportunity each of them have to be significantly more successful than they already are. 

You`ve already said that.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, The Rocket said:

As I said earlier, when you take calculated risks, you sometimes gain unexpected benefits.

Who knows where the NRL will be after five years of Vegas.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

As I said earlier, when you take calculated risks, you sometimes gain unexpected benefits.

Who knows where the NRL will be after five years of Vegas.

Nothing in that story, other than the flight being from Las Vegas, has anything to do with the event in Vegas.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

36 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Nothing in that story, other than the flight being from Las Vegas, has anything to do with the event in Vegas.

Not specifically, but it has a lot to do with the positive image for the game that is currently being created, with the games in Vegas being the culmination of that change.

And I've no doubt there will be other examples over time.

• Like 4

Just now, Martyn Sadler said:

Not specifically, but it has a lot to do with the positive image for the game that is currently being created, with the games in Vegas being the culmination of that change.

And I've no doubt there will be other examples over time.

Lifelong Australian-born Sharks fan doesn't go to Vegas - instead meets in New York.

It's a fantastic investment. It is nothing to do with Vegas.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Post-Vegas musings from Vlandys, happy with year 1 but realises plenty to improve on. He also touches on the NRL investing in SL at 14 minutes.

https://www.abc.net.au/listen/programs/best-of-abc-sport-podcast/peter-v-landys/103570326?utm_campaign=abc_listen&utm_content=twitter&utm_medium=content_shared&utm_source=abc_listen

3 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

Post-Vegas musings from Vlandys, happy with year 1 but realises plenty to improve on. He also touches on the NRL investing in SL at 14 minutes.

https://www.abc.net.au/listen/programs/best-of-abc-sport-podcast/peter-v-landys/103570326?utm_campaign=abc_listen&utm_content=twitter&utm_medium=content_shared&utm_source=abc_listen

Came here to post this. Thought it was very interesting, but also jeez how nice is it to listen to a confident communicator able to answer strategic questions in detail, and sell the game? 

Good to see they’re realistic about what was achieved (and what wasn’t). Year 1 should always have been viewed as a pilot, and that seems like his mindset. They can now improve things for year 2, but also they’ve now done a “real thing” that they can show to potential future partners and sponsors. That makes it much easier to sell stuff next time, whereas this year required people to make a leap of faith. Only your existing friends tend to make those with you. Now, the whole marketplace opens up. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Worzel said:

Came here to post this. Thought it was very interesting, but also jeez how nice is it to listen to a confident communicator able to answer strategic questions in detail, and sell the game? 

Good to see they’re realistic about what was achieved (and what wasn’t). Year 1 should always have been viewed as a pilot, and that seems like his mindset. They can now improve things for year 2, but also they’ve now done a “real thing” that they can show to potential future partners and sponsors. That makes it much easier to sell stuff next time, whereas this year required people to make a leap of faith. Only your existing friends tend to make those with you. Now, the whole marketplace opens up. 

Yep, confident but also realistic, no wild promises, just learning and building over the 5 years.

Whilst the NRL is going at this top down, there are things happening at ground level too. The last RLIA podcast had RugbyLeagueRoos on who will be helping the amateur clubs with clinics etc. https://www.rugbyleagueroo.com/about-us/

I thought about how the Sharks received that generous donation, it’s a shame he wasn't from Salford. That would be a huge help to them in their situation. Is Sir James Ratcliffe by any chance from the Salford area? 

PS. Not picking on Salford but a windfall would be nice for them.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

On 10/03/2024 at 00:44, The Rocket said:

As a club the sharks off-field credentials are really quite impressive with their property portfolio i.e apartments, retail and hotel etc.

I think I’m right in believing that the sharks own a golf course as well?

it’s just a shame that their stadium is a dump and restricted capacity wise.

10 minutes ago, going for the corner said:

As a club the sharks off-field credentials are really quite impressive with their property portfolio i.e apartments, retail and hotel etc.

I think I’m right in believing that the sharks own a golf course as well?

it’s just a shame that their stadium is a dump and restricted capacity wise.

They own the ground though.

12,000 capacity isn’t too bad for a small suburban Club.