Rugby League Challenge Cup 6th Round Draw

4 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Didn't we smack Sheffield's backside at their home stadium, almost immediately after losing the Wembley Final? The main memory is of Barrie-Jon Mather viciously assaulting Keith Senior's fist with his mouth.

I thought Barrie Jon Mather was playing for Castleford when that punch happened?

59 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Halifax draw the shortest of straws. Leigh v Fev should be fun.

Yep up there with the worst draws apart from maybe London away. Club loses money and Cats probably one of the last teams you want to play on a heavy pitch where their forwards will just batter ours. I'd honestly consider switching this game to France if Fax could make the money work for them.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Arizonared said:

I thought Barrie Jon Mather was playing for Castleford when that punch happened?

It was more a head butt.

But yes - it was the quarter final.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Why the automatic assumption that it's a bum steer if you draw Cats?

York were league 1 when then they drew them in the Cup and @Gav Wilsonet al marketed the hell out of it, doubled the usual crowd, sold out of a special run of shirts and gave the french a hell of a scare along the way.

• Like 9

19 minutes ago, Arizonared said:

You're right; I was was mixing up two matches.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

52 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Batley v Cas a stand out there 

Totally agree, for a number of reasons. Underdogs at home, against a poor SL side, who will bring a decent crowd, and a returning coach, with the mild chance of an upset. That's what the Challenge Cup used to be about.

• Like 10

45 minutes ago, JonT said:

York were league 1 when then they drew them in the Cup and @Gav Wilsonet al marketed the hell out of it, doubled the usual crowd, sold out of a special run of shirts and gave the french a hell of a scare along the way.

Well said❗

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

Didn't we smack Sheffield's backside at their home stadium, almost immediately after losing the Wembley Final? The main memory is of Barrie-Jon Mather viciously assaulting Keith Senior's fist with his mouth.

Aye, we lost the final and then won by 40 odd points the week after at the Don Valley.  I was at both of those games. I still remember walking around London after the final and a local asking how many we’d won by. He refused to believe us when we said we’d lost! 

1 hour ago, JonT said:

Only a week and a half to get all that done.

Clubs wait months for stocks of replica shirts. 

But - sure - some of that can be done.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JonT said:

If we double our crowds from the previous cup ties then that would be about right. I expect somewhere around 1500 or so.

A reminder that the BBC aren't even bothering to televise a game from this round.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

5 minutes ago, WN83 said:

Aye, we lost the final and then won by 40 odd points the week after at the Don Valley.  

What nonsense!

2 minutes ago, Griff said:

Only a week and a half to get all that done.

Clubs wait months for stocks of replica shirts. 

But - sure - some of that can be done.

Yes, the time frame doesn't help. But York didn't have months either yet somehow got something done. 

Agree 100% that the whole cup structure is in no way weighted to help lower league clubs. But a club either rises up to challenge that disparity or just becomes a part of the narrative the RFL and SL are trying to write.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Yep up there with the worst draws apart from maybe London away. Club loses money and Cats probably one of the last teams you want to play on a heavy pitch where their forwards will just batter ours. I'd honestly consider switching this game to France if Fax could make the money work for them.

Why would Fax lose money on the game? I get there wouldn't be many away fans but surely more locals than normal would turn out to see one of the top Superleague teams?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

A reminder that the BBC aren't even bothering to televise a game from this round.

That's disappointing they are really missing out here. I get they wouldn't want to show the smaller clubs but round 6 is always going to throw up a decent clash involving the big teams.

Surely Leeds vs St Helens would do good viewing numbers for them?!

Does anybody know, will it be 1 x Red Button game, 1 x the sportsman?

1 hour ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

CC is dead as the dodo get rid 

Last year's semi's and final were the very essence of what a cup tournament should be in any sport, highly competitive,high drama with a bit of an upset thrown in for good measure.

I don't follow any of the 4 teams in those 3 games but they were some of the most exciting nail biting games I watched all year

• Like 6

47 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

It's a shame - but almost completely avoidable - to get Leeds-Saints and London-Wire playing each other twice in two weeks. 

Super League sides should be joining an open draw in the last 32. But even then, the likelihood of an upset means there’ll probably be the same number of all SL ties across the competition, so the odds of avoiding the scenario of a repeat fixture over a couple of weeks wouldn’t change that much

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Sheffield’s straw was shorter than Fax’s tbf. 

We've beaten World Club Champions before.

9 hours ago, Just Browny said:

They are streaming a game, as per the previous rounds.

It's not great but it's also not completely ignoring it.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)