Is it just me who thinks Latrelle is a waster?

Seriously am I? I can’t remember him ever standing up when Souths needed him to stand up and change a game in their favour. 

He hasn’t entered the season as out of shape as he in previous years, but watching tonight, he is still an unfit liability.

7 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Seriously am I? I can’t remember him ever standing up when Souths needed him to stand up and change a game in their favour. 

He hasn’t entered the season as out of shape as he in previous years, but watching tonight, he is still an unfit liability.

He’s not a fullback.

• Thanks 1

I was watching the game this morning (spoiler alert johnny!) and Souths had made a break and Mitchell was too knackered to get to first receiver and so the second row had to step in.

I maintain that Latrell Mitchell is the best talent of his generation, he can do anything.  But he is never fit enough and that is the fault of both him and his coaches.

It's difficult to say that a player who has played State of Origin and won World Cups has wasted his talent, but I think he has.  He could have been an all time great.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

6 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I was watching the game this morning (spoiler alert johnny!) and Souths had made a break and Mitchell was too knackered to get to first receiver and so the second row had to step in.

I maintain that Latrell Mitchell is the best talent of his generation, he can do anything.  But he is never fit enough and that is the fault of both him and his coaches.

It's difficult to say that a player who has played State of Origin and won World Cups has wasted his talent, but I think he has.  He could have been an all time great.

My suspicion is that he left the Roosters for a promise of being the club's big star, and the Bunnies have indulged him in that.

The Roosters were maybe more disciplined and less eager to treat him as the centre of attention, which is why he was so great for them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

He`s a freak and can win a game single-handedly but he still needs help and I just don`t think he`s ever going to be as energetic or involved as a Tedesco etc. Probably more like a Wally Lewis who can pick his moments. I`d say that Souths biggest problem is that Walker and Cook are both not the players they were a couple of years ago and Illias is a long-term project and still really just finding his way, this is putting a lot of the focus on Latrelle to create and finish their plays.

Souths get Graham back, Wighton in and that young star outside back  Tyrone Munro back from injury and that will take a lot of pressure of Latrelle to do everything, there is still a lot of upside for Souths this year but definitely some generational change needed soon, but I wouldn`t write them off but the premiership window with this mob is closing fast.

• Like 1

Just now, The Rocket said:

He`s a freak and can win a game single-handedly but he still needs help and I just don`t think he`s ever going to be as energetic or involved as a Tedesco etc. Probably more like a Wally Lewis who can pick his moments. I`d say that Souths biggest problem is that Walker and Cook are both not the players they were a couple of years ago and Illias is a long-term project and still really just finding his way, this is putting a lot of the focus on Latrelle to create and finish their plays.

Souths get Graham back, Wighton in and that young star outside back  Tyrone Munro back from injury and that will take a lot of pressure of Latrelle to do everything, there is still a lot of upside for Souths this year but definitely some generational change needed soon, but I wouldn`t write them off but the premiership window with this mob is closing fast.

I don't really get the take pressure off him so he doesn't have to do everything angle. In many games I see he does nothing and him actually doing everything would be a major improvement. 

• Like 1

He was a real mixed bag today. I don't know what he was thinking on  the chip and chase that ultimately ended up with the sin binning, if he drops on the ball none of that happens. Was it also him who made an error on a kick to allow Walsh to score (I was only half watching at that point). He did save another couple of certain tries though and he always shows a few touches of class in attack. 

Waster is harsh, he is still a very good player regardless of what you think of his attitude etc. But I do think that when he comes to the end of his career we will say "he had all the talent in the world, if only he had properly applied himself."

He’s very good , but he’s not as good as he thinks he is . All this smiling and peacockery , Reece Walsh is the real deal . I could watch him all day

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, DavidM said:

He’s very good , but he’s not as good as he thinks he is . All this smiling and peacockery , Reece Walsh is the real deal . I could watch him all day

Frightening that kid is only 21. He is going to be some player.

7 minutes ago, MZH said:

Frightening that kid is only 21. He is going to be some player.

You could hear the Vegas crowd noise ramp up every time Walsh ran with the ball.

I knew he was going to be good when he was at the Warriors, as soon as the commentator said that he'd be leaving them at the end of the season. It seemed like every time the Warriors got someone who looked like the answer to their years of doldrums, they were about to leave or retire.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Reece Walsh has got some poor errors in him though.  The type of errors Mitchell would be slated for if he came up with them.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 hours ago, Damien said:

I don't really get the take pressure off him so he doesn't have to do everything angle. In many games I see he does nothing and him actually doing everything would be a major improvement. 

Correct, he can be anonymous far too often. I would not have him at the Sharks over my two centres and fullback.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Reece Walsh has got some poor errors in him though.  The type of errors Mitchell would be slated for if he came up with them.

I will overlook those errors due to age difference.

Edited by Sports Prophet

17 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

But the positives are far more frequent. In terms of ratio of good v bad I'd have Walsh any day.

14 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

I will overlook those errors due to age difference.

7 minutes ago, Damien said:

But the positives are far more frequent. In terms of ratio of good v bad I'd have Walsh any day.

He is a quality player and very exciting to watch.

But he is in his 4th season now and last year he had far and away the most errors in the NRL.  The very best players do the good stuff and not the negative stuff. 

And I am not talking about errors where he is trying something in attack, I mean like where he made a mess of a dummy half pass 3 yards from his own line on the first tackle.

I think the errors need to be cut out of his game for him to step up a level.

• Like 1

Not sure how he holds a place at fullback carrying that excess weight around. It’s such a demanding position, especially over in the NRL. I’ve mentioned Hiku not looking fit enough for the position recently and even Bevan French looked to be struggling for us, when he had to shift from the wing to fullback. when Jai Field got injured last season. There’s just so much running and he was gassed at times. That is the beauty of Jai Field really, for all his talent, one of his biggest strengths is how fit he is and he looks like he could play all day. 

Edited by WN83
  • Like 1

The truth is that Latrell is a controversy magnet. Some of it well deserved some of it not deserved.

He would actually benefit by spending a couple if years in Super League as like many a wayward aussie waif that has arrived on UK shores once out of the media goldfish bowl that is sydney and in a foreign country he would have time to reflrct on his own game in a country where league hardly moves the media dial.

He would return to Australia a more focused player and a better bloke capable of handling the demands of the media spotlight.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

12 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

The truth is that Latrell is a controversy magnet. Some of it well deserved some of it not deserved.

He would actually benefit by spending a couple if years in Super League as like many a wayward aussie waif that has arrived on UK shores once out of the media goldfish bowl that is sydney and in a foreign country he would have time to reflrct on his own game in a country where league hardly moves the media dial.

He would return to Australia a more focused player and a better bloke capable of handling the demands of the media spotlight.

It could do him good but for every Jamie Lyon, there's a Todd Carney, Dave Taylor, Chris Sandow, Ben Barba etc etc etc.

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

hes  not a full back and never has been - everything good he does could be done at centre - he is the best number 4 in the game - get that shirt back on get back to the player you were at the roosters  LM - 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

I think he's one of the most talented players of his generation, unfortunately he's also wasting quite a lot of that talent and will likely be remembered for that.

• Like 2

On 18/03/2024 at 14:06, Damien said:

It would be really weird for the NRL not to to take action.

And they havent……souths fell for the “Latrell is special” stuff that led to Warrington getting a new coach. Now NRL going down the same path.

Gus Gould explains his behaviour as him wanting respect but not willing to give any. His boasting about his try accomplishment immediately following the defeat used as an example. It was all about him. 

• Like 1