Richie Myler confirmed as new Hull FC Director of Rugby...

21 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

The Hull/Leeds alliance resurrected?

We had Kath and Gary Hetherington at their respective clubs at the same time, and now we have Ritchie Myler for those who don't know his partner Stephanie Thirkhill is the daughter of Leeds Rhinos owner Andrew Thirkhill.

Owner ? 

• Like 2

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

9 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Aye, it's all nonsense. I remember 't days when teams had a player/ coach and 't captain cleaned out 't mens bogs cos there weren't any wimmins bogs. 

someone has to do the dirty work mate - and theres no shame in that

• Like 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

what sort of annual coinage will be directed Mylers way and how better could that lolly be used to benefit Hull fc? 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

what happened to the days when a coach wanted a player? eg- Doug Laughton wants a player goes to the board and tells them he wants to sign them - then the board trusts him and signs that player

It's a funny one.  I would imagine a coach would prefer to speak with just one authority when it comes to signings etc rather than navigating the politics of 'the board'.  I don't think anyone here would say it is easier to work with a committee than a single person.

But the trust is the issue - I would definitely say a lot of coaches wouldn't want to have to ask the Director of Rugby for a signing, never mind have singings made without their input.

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

36 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

too many of these made up jobs that have no benefit to the club or the team - all u need is - the coach - the assistant coach - the bloke with the magic sponge and the bucket - the bloke with the magic sponge and the buckets MRS  to wash the kits and do the HT refreshments.

By identifying all of those roles, you've pretty much done the job of the Director of Rugby.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1
Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

8 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

According to this very recent post from Yorkshire Live

Stephanie's dad is Andrew Thirkill, a Leeds businessman and owner of the Leeds Rhinos rugby team.28 Mar 2024

Paul Caddick and Gary Hetherington own Leeds Rhinos. Thirkill is "President" and not even on the board of directors.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

what sort of annual coinage will be directed Mylers way and how better could that lolly be used to benefit Hull fc? 

Depends how much his partners dad is going to give him to spend I suppose.

7 minutes ago, Spotty Herbert said:

Paul Caddick and Gary Hetherington own Leeds Rhinos. Thirkill is "President" and not even on the board of directors.

I thought Caddick was the owner,  but as you can see the report is only a couple of weeks old, you never know what is going on with these rich folk.

what happened to the days when a coach wanted a player? eg- Doug Laughton wants a player goes to the board and tells them he wants to sign them - then the board trusts him and signs that player

Still happens at a lot of clubs

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

The Hull/Leeds alliance resurrected?

We had Kath and Gary Hetherington at their respective clubs at the same time, and now we have Ritchie Myler for those who don't know his partner Stephanie Thirkhill is the daughter of Leeds Rhinos owner Andrew Thirkhill.

Andrew Thirkhill isn’t the owner of Leeds Rhinos

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OriginalMrC said:

I assume his new father in law no longer has anything to Leeds Rhinos?

Not sure about that as Leeds might be looking for a new coach for Next season, and who knows with his past and present Leeds connections he COULD BE in the running. Stranger things have happened.

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I thought Caddick was the owner,  but as you can see the report is only a couple of weeks old, you never know what is going on with these rich folk.

Thirkhill is ‘president’ he doesn’t own Leeds Rhinos.

• Thanks 2

I remember those days.

Back then, Doug Laughton signed losers like Jonathon Davies and Martin Offiah.

I can easily see Richie Myler eclipsing those signings.

• Like 1
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

too many of these made up jobs that have no benefit to the club or the team - all u need is - the coach - the assistant coach - the bloke with the magic sponge and the bucket - the bloke with the magic sponge and the buckets MRS  to wash the kits and do the HT refreshments 

Do you do the editorial for Rugby League Journal by any chance?

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Repeat

Edited by Just Browny

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

31 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Caddick owns 76%, Hetherington 24% according to the latest data I can see.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Spotty Herbert said:

Caddick owns 76%, Hetherington 24% according to the latest data I can see.

Correct, this is still the case.

I did wonder at one stage whether Caddick though Thirkill might be a suitable successor as majority owner but it looks like he and his family are sticking around for a while yet.

someone has to do the dirty work mate - and theres no shame in that

Cottect. That is why professionaly-run successful clubs employ proper cleaners. That is why professionaly - run successful clubs don't have player-coaches, and that is why clubs have directors of rugby so that owners etc who invest don't also need to have rugby-brains.

Incidentally, what was the ultimate result at Widnes of Laughton's chequebook coaching?

33 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Cottect. That is why professionaly-run successful clubs employ proper cleaners. That is why professionaly - run successful clubs don't have player-coaches, and that is why clubs have directors of rugby so that owners etc who invest don't also need to have rugby-brains.

Incidentally, what was the ultimate result at Widnes of Laughton's chequebook coaching?

Laughton almost bankrupted Leeds with his methods, leading directly to the Caddick / Hetherington ownership and (eventually) to a period of Superleague domination. Every cloud ....

32 minutes ago, Spotty Herbert said:

Laughton almost bankrupted Leeds with his methods, leading directly to the Caddick / Hetherington ownership and (eventually) to a period of Superleague domination. Every cloud ....

But.....but....graveyard johnny would prefer Laughton's golden touch .

1 hour ago, Spotty Herbert said:

This is absolute BS. Doug Laughton was not given free reign to spend whatever he wanted at Leeds, the board signed off transfers and budgets and contracts. If the board weren't able to produce the revenues that supported the spending that's not exactly his fault.

I've no idea how things worked at Widnes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, M j M said:

This is absolute BS. Doug Laughton was not given free reign to spend whatever he wanted at Leeds, the board signed off transfers and budgets and contracts. If the board weren't able to produce the revenues that supported the spending that's not exactly his fault.

I've no idea how things worked at Widnes.

I would prefer to see it as a weak board being persuaded by a very strong coach that if you sign the players I want it will bring the crowds in. It didn't, leading to near bankruptcy and near relegation. Can we agree that Laughton made a significant contribution to this state of affairs, even if he wasnt solely to blame?