Catalans v Wigan in Barcelona?

bazzzz65

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As eminently sellable as any SL fixture can be.

Catalans are the nearest club, and have a cultural link with that part of Spain. Wigan are one of the most recognisable club names in Rugby. One is the Wembley winner, one the Old Trafford winner.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Mathew Shaw in the League Express says its scheduled to be played on 18th May, that's subject to confirmation though he reports all parties are confident it will go ahead. If it happens then it will be the final weekend of the Spanish League season when Barcelona are playing away, apparently that's so work can the be carried out on the pitch

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

5 minutes ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

Mathew Shaw in the League Express says its scheduled to be played on 18th May, that's subject to confirmation though he reports all parties are confident it will go ahead. If it happens then it will be the final weekend of the Spanish League season when Barcelona are playing away, apparently that's so work can the be carried out on the pitch

Interesting timing. A Friday night following on from a weekend of challenge cup fixtures. 

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

2 minutes ago, Manx RL said:

Interesting timing. A Friday night following on from a weekend of challenge cup fixtures. 

I hadn't realised that it was the week after a challenge cup round but 18th May is a Saturday, it's in line with the day Catalan always play when they are at home and, I would imagine, best for both sets of supporters

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

Aa The stumbling block I heard from a supporters club president is that Barcelona said come and play in Barcelona my friend! Then sent a quote of a million euros to cover security, logistics and use of stadium etc, maybe just a rumour but it wouldn't surprise me if true! 

8 hours ago, barnyia said:

Aa The stumbling block I heard from a supporters club president is that Barcelona said come and play in Barcelona my friend! Then sent a quote of a million euros to cover security, logistics and use of stadium etc, maybe just a rumour but it wouldn't surprise me if true! 

If that's the case use the Olympic Stadium 

11 hours ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

They have a reserves ground.  they could use Mini Estadi.

2 hours ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

Play a Catalans game in a nationalists stadium?

Next thing is somebody will be wanting to sing Els Segadors.  Oh hang on, they did, at Wembley before the cup final!

57 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Next thing is somebody will be wanting to sing Els Segadors.  Oh hang on, they did, at Wembley before the cup final!

I think the point that Tex was trying to make was that it would not be very ‘Catalan’ to play in Espanyol’s stadium. To many Barca fans, to support Real (Royal) Club Deportivo Espanyol is ‘anti- Catalan’. They are seen as the ‘Spanish’ club in Barcelona.

Archived