The TV Thread

Cormoran strike is decent Sunday evening viewing.

JK Rowling channeling Raymond Chandler. 

Interesting plot line

Although Robin's personal conflict sub plot is a bit obvious

Claustrophobic relationship with boring boyfriend in tidy flat where she makes his tea and plans a twee wedding, versus the new freedom working with Cormoran: juicy cases, her intellect valued and challenged, she gets to drive off-road albeit in a rented Fiat, and the kindling of chemistry between her and Cormoran. 

The stories are interesting, the acting of a high standard, with some quality cameos and it's well written. 

Edited by Tongs ya bas
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Tongs ya bas said:

Cormoran strike is decent Sunday evening viewing.

JK Rowling channeling Raymond Chandler. 

Interesting plot line

Although Robin's personal conflict sub plot is a bit obvious

Claustrophobic relationship with boring boyfriend in tidy flat where she makes his tea and plans a twee wedding, versus the new freedom working with Cormoran: juicy cases, her intellect valued and challenged, she gets to drive off-road albeit in a rented Fiat, and the kindling of chemistry between her and Cormoran. 

The stories are interesting, the acting of a high standard, with some quality cameos and it's well written. 

It would have been great if I hadn't remembered right at the beginning, as Robin arrived as a temp and was saved from falling down the stairs, that I'd read the book and could remember even the plot quirks.

Ho hum.  There are days when having my memory is a real bind.

Still, I got to watch Tom Burke for a bit, which is always a solace.  He looked better as a Musketeer though.

We've got the new season of The Last Ship recording to watch when my OH gets off nights, along with Tin Star and Top of the Lake: China Girl.

We've just finished watching Cleverman (from the BBC iPlayer) which is an Australian supernatural series which leans heavily on how white people have treated Aboriginal Australians for centuries, and is rather good.

'Turn you inside out and lick you like a crisp packet.'

1 minute ago, sfmedusa said:

Ho hum.  There are days when having my memory is a real bind.

I recommend neat gin as a cure for that.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

8 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I recommend neat gin as a cure for that.

Sadly I'm teetotal because of my medication, but a combination of nortriptyline, carbamazepine, methadone, sodium valproate and ketamine don't seem to have damaged my memory in the last 20 years, so I guess I'm stuck with it.

17 minutes ago, sfmedusa said:

Sadly I'm teetotal because of my medication, but a combination of nortriptyline, carbamazepine, methadone, sodium valproate and ketamine don't seem to have damaged my memory in the last 20 years, so I guess I'm stuck with it.

From personal experience, I can say that the movies are wrong about crashing head-first into a brick wall causing amnesia. I remember it vividly. Ouch.

So you don't need to try that.

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

10 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

From personal experience, I can say that the movies are wrong about crashing head-first into a brick wall causing amnesia. I remember it vividly. Ouch.

So you don't need to try that.

Thanks, but that wasn't on my list of things to try.  I already have enough spinal problems just by being too tall thanks.

It's relieving to hear that others are possibly as talented as me at self-maiming though :)

• Haha 1

W1A is back with a new series, and is as excruciatingly and minutely observed as ever. :D 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Not a Trekkie by any means, but thought the first two episodes of Star Trek Discovery on Netflix set things up nicely for good old Sci Fi adventure. 

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

I never thought I'd find myself recommending that you watch today's The One Show on the iPlayer, but the presence of Mel Brooks makes it well worth your time.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 hours ago, Liverpool Rover said:

Watching Aisling Bea and Alex Horne standing in silence watching jelly slide down a pole on this weeks Taskmaster has to be one of the funniest things on TV this year.

WHO? I guess you have to be there

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Christopher Lloyd as the Reverend Jim Ignatowski in 'Taxi'. 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 9/28/2017 at 11:15 AM, Johnoco said:

I saw her in a local Morrisons a while back doing a report for breakfast TV or whatever it's called. She had longer hair then and was much better looking than she is on tv (not that she's bad there). 

Of course, I speak purely as a feminist there.

I had a tour of the BBC Breakfast set earlier this year.  

Must confess to a little Naga and Steph dream sequence.

The BBC are currently heavily trailing Blue Planet II and it looks like another Attenborough stunner.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ahhh, Strictly tonight with the lovely Nadiya as a spectacular talent to watch. Just don’t search for her on the internet where others can see. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Series 10 of Anthony Bourdain's 'Parts unknown' has started, with the first episode being Singapore. 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Derwent said:

Expected better from the Mitchell & Webb comedy Back but it's just not very good.

W1A on the other hand just keeps getting better.

Sarah Parish's performance in last night's W1A was probably her masterpiece. Fantastic stuff.