The TV Thread

8 hours ago, FileyBulldog said:

Honestly never fancied it. I think we can agree that the 20th century had so many great British sitcoms though, certainly something lacking these days.

There were masses of brilliant comedies in the 20th century but I think there's been loads of fantastic ones this century as well, to list just some I love off the top of my head;

Plebs

Detectorists

Bluestone 42

The Inbetweeners

The IT Crowd 

Derry Girls

Peep Show

Gavin and Stacey

The Thick of It

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

There were masses of brilliant comedies in the 20th century but I think there's been loads of fantastic ones this century as well, to list just some I love off the top of my head;

Plebs

Detectorists

Bluestone 42

The Inbetweeners

The IT Crowd 

Derry Girls

Peep Show

Gavin and Stacey

The Thick of It

Honestly out of that list Peep Show is the only one I like (love) and the only one I can stand.

5 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Plebs

Detectorists

Bluestone 42

The Inbetweeners

The IT Crowd 

Derry Girls

Peep Show

Gavin and Stacey

The Thick of It

The Cleaner

Motherland

Two Pints of Lagar and a Packet of Crisps

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

The Cleaner

Motherland

Two Pints of Lagar and a Packet of Crisps

Two (the first two) out of three ain't bad...

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

BBC2 are starting a re-run of Cunk on Earth tonight, after the FA Cup tie.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just finished watching the 5th and final Top Boy series on Netflix. If your familiar with the series it won’t come as a surprise to learn it doesn’t end well for the main characters.

Fargo returns with a new series next Tuesday in the Uk on Prime Video TV. Up there with Breaking Bad, Better call Saul, Ozark and The Soprano’s as arguably the best of American crime drama series.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Moose said:

Just finished watching the 5th and final Top Boy series on Netflix. If your familiar with the series it won’t come as a surprise to learn it doesn’t end well for the main characters.

Fargo returns with a new series next Tuesday in the Uk on Prime Video TV. Up there with Breaking Bad, Better call Saul, Ozark and The Soprano’s as arguably the best of American crime drama series.

Really enjoyed Qzark , you watch an episode and think ' well they cannot top that ' ....they do , strong characters right across the board , especially Julia Garner who played Ruth.

• Like 1

Boat Story (iPlayer) is a six-parter worth a look. Another impressive turn from Daisy Haggard. The Tarantino-style cartoon violence won't appeal to everybody. Would benefit from tighter editing, which seems to be a lost art nowadays. At various points, Boat Story drifts off course. Persevere.

Filmed across Yorkshire. Locations include Bradford, Halifax (Calderdale, generally), Leeds, Redcar and Selby. Pretty sure Eggborough power station sneaks in, too.

Edited by Hopping Mad

27 minutes ago, Hopping Mad said:

Boat Story (iPlayer) is a six-parter worth a look. Another impressive turn from Daisy Haggard. The Tarantino-style cartoon violence won't appeal to everybody. Would benefit from tighter editing, which seems to be a lost art nowadays. At various points, Boat Story drifts off course. Persevere.

Filmed across Yorkshire. Locations include Bradford, Halifax (Calderdale, generally), Leeds, Redcar and Selby. Pretty sure Eggborough power station sneaks in, too.

I didn't bother watching this because it just seems like Whisky Galore but updated a bit. 

I also watched Boat Story last night, I only watched the first episode and thoroughly enjoyed it. I liked the mix of comedy and violence. Daisy Haggard is great, loved her in Uncle and Breeders and this character suits her down to the ground, lots of smiles and ranting rages. She’d make a champion gurner!!

55 minutes ago, Moose said:

I also watched Boat Story last night, I only watched the first episode and thoroughly enjoyed it. I liked the mix of comedy and violence. Daisy Haggard is great, loved her in Uncle and Breeders and this character suits her down to the ground, lots of smiles and ranting rages. She’d make a champion gurner!!

I watched Uncle for the first time a few months back and must say I really enjoyed it. I think I will give Boat Story a go though I will say that I'm not a massive Tarantino fan so hopefully it isn't too geared towards his comic violence style. 

im a celeb dropped 2 million viewers this year on its opening show - a tired out concept that's been done to death - how many more millions can those 2 talentless stooges get paid for grinning ?

• Haha 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

It's the 60th anniversary of Doctor Who today, and tonight BBC Four are showing a newly-restored, 75-minute colourised version of the first-ever Dalek story from 1963 starring William Hartnell.

spacer.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John Drake said:

It's the 60th anniversary of Doctor Who today, and tonight BBC Four are showing a newly-restored, 75-minute colourised version of the first-ever Dalek story from 1963 starring William Hartnell.

spacer.png

The wife will be so made up 🤣🤣

On 18/11/2023 at 22:54, Stirlin said:

Scrublands.......BBC4 /iplayer.

Very good Oz thriller , starts slow and ramps up in second episode.

I thought it wasn't going to come together and kept watching largely because Bella Heathcote makes me swoon and the other performances were really good - but even what I thought were the superfluous bits wound up being good. Really enjoyed it.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

56 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I thought it wasn't going to come together and kept watching largely because Bella Heathcote makes me swoon and the other performances were really good - but even what I thought were the superfluous bits wound up being good. Really enjoyed it.

Yes , Bella is rather sultry.

On 23/11/2023 at 12:39, John Drake said:

spacer.png

From Popbitch:

Old hi-NRG legend DJ Ian Levine is a Dr Who superfan who now spends his time on Twitter feuding with other fans

• Haha 1

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

On 20/11/2023 at 10:38, Hopping Mad said:

The boat scene in the final episode was filmed at Humber Dock, Hull Marina.

Just to be ultra nerdy, the power station is Drax.

• Like 1

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

1 hour ago, Ullman said:

The boat scene in the final episode was filmed at Humber Dock, Hull Marina.

Just to be ultra nerdy, the power station is Drax.

You're not the only ultra nerd here mate. I've only watched the first episode so haven't seen Humber Dock in it of course but I will say that I was pretty sure the power station in the episode I did watch was Drax. 

• Like 1