Jump to content

The TV Thread


Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, ckn said:

There's a lot of folk who really don't get the concept of "entertainment".  You have the TOSser (The Original Series) trekkies who rail against any Klingon wearing anything other than dusky Arabic looking spray tan.  You have the Next Generation trekkies who rail against anything other than a Cornish pastie forehead Klingon.  You get anyone with the slightest bit of anal retention over Star Trek railing against the modern "reboot" movies.

You then get the lot who see anyone other than a straight white male cast in a major role as a "victory" (either sarcastically negative or hyperactively positive) for diversity rather than it simply being the best actor for the role.  Who gives a **** what someone's demographic grouping is if they're a good actor who does justice to the role?  Also, who cares if the writer casts a role as a gay man or writes a polyamorous Klingon/Tribble marriage, we actually do have gay people in society you know, and some "normal" marriages I've seen between men and women would best be described as "different".

You can probably tell I read the internet reviews of Star Trek: Discovery.  I think they were reviewing a different TV show to the one I watched as the one I watched was a well constructed TV series that's actually very well written and acted, with intelligent casting, enjoyable stories and a very good character arc, all written within a logical structure within the overall Star Trek "universe".

I don't know why but I always imagine that they wear black north face jackets, cycle to work, listen to Coldplay or travis, and work in it. Same with Star Wars freaks

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


3 minutes ago, Tongs ya bas said:

I don't know why but I always imagine that they wear black north face jackets, cycle to work, listen to Coldplay or travis, and work in it. Same with Star Wars freaks

I think you will find that they rarely leave their mothers basement. 

  • Like 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Star Trek: I'm sorry if I will offend anybody, but I love the whole concept, Original, Next Gen, Voyager, Deep Space 9, Enterprise, I Love them all, it what got me interested in Sci_Fi, and science in general, when I had lunch with an astronaut at Cape Canaveral 2 years ago, I was more made up than my 6 year old daughter.

I’m a big fan of Star Trek. I’m yet to be sold on Discovery yet. Just doesn’t seem to fit in with the rest

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, ckn said:

There's a lot of folk who really don't get the concept of "entertainment".  You have the TOSser (The Original Series) trekkies who rail against any Klingon wearing anything other than dusky Arabic looking spray tan.  You have the Next Generation trekkies who rail against anything other than a Cornish pastie forehead Klingon.  You get anyone with the slightest bit of anal retention over Star Trek railing against the modern "reboot" movies.

You then get the lot who see anyone other than a straight white male cast in a major role as a "victory" (either sarcastically negative or hyperactively positive) for diversity rather than it simply being the best actor for the role.  Who gives a **** what someone's demographic grouping is if they're a good actor who does justice to the role?  Also, who cares if the writer casts a role as a gay man or writes a polyamorous Klingon/Tribble marriage, we actually do have gay people in society you know, and some "normal" marriages I've seen between men and women would best be described as "different".

You can probably tell I read the internet reviews of Star Trek: Discovery.  I think they were reviewing a different TV show to the one I watched as the one I watched was a well constructed TV series that's actually very well written and acted, with intelligent casting, enjoyable stories and a very good character arc, all written within a logical structure within the overall Star Trek "universe".

I really don’t agree with that last line.

Klingons have changed again even though Enterprise nicely closed off the human looking of TOS against the later ridged versions

Discovery has holo communications even though that was a new concept in the later episodes of DS9

I agree the story arc is good. But I’d prefer them to say it wasn’t the same timeline or something like that, instead of insisting it’s in the same “universe” when there’s these inconsistencies. 

I just like things to fit, not sure if it’s a minor irritation or something  that’ll put me off it, probably find out when it starts again, it’s more likely some sort of Trek related OCD ??

 

Edited by Spidey
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Spidey said:

I really don’t agree with that last line.

Klingons have changed again even though Enterprise nicely closed off the human looking of TOS against the later ridged versions

Discovery has holo communications even though that was a new concept in the later episodes of DS9

I agree the story arc is good. But I’d prefer them to say it wasn’t the same timeline or something like that, instead of insisting it’s in the same “universe” when there’s these inconsistencies. 

I just like things to fit, not sure if it’s a minor irritation or something  that’ll put me off it, probably find out when it starts again, it’s more likely some sort of Trek related OCD ??

 

You might enjoy this discussion - although it is based on the opening two episodes which, as predicted in the video, are somewhat different to the rest of the series:

 

  • Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

There's a much visual stuff going on in the background as there is direct to camera......

I didn't catch as much in the background last night, which is a good excuse to watch again I think.

"all by itself ... number one ..."

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

Never seen a ST film and not seen a tv series episode of ST since the late 60s.....

Just not my cup of tea.

League of gentlemen however..... dark.... very dark. There's a much visual stuff going on in the background as there is direct to camera......

Me neither, never seen a James Bond film or a martial arts film, or a rocky film

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Tongs ya bas said:

Me neither, never seen a James Bond film or a martial arts film, or a rocky film

Pretty much the same here....

I think I saw a bond film with Roger Moore in the 70s..... but that was it....

All that martial arts malarky and the genre described as 'action movie' are avoided at almost all costs

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Tongs ya bas said:

Me neither, never seen a James Bond film or a martial arts film, or a rocky film

James Bond films are a very mixed bunch, from the extremely silly to the over-serious, but some are worth the time.

Martial arts films that don't take themselves too seriously can be fun - the best of Jackie Chan's pre-Hollywood output mixes astonishing action and slapstick pretty well.

The first 'Rocky' film isn't bad. Okay, the fight scenes are silly, but there's some good performances otherwise.

Edited by Futtocks

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I didn't catch as much in the background last night, which is a good excuse to watch again I think.

The BBC2 continuity announcer's line about hedgehogs before the program started was a good one.

Some of the names of the shops and the adverts in the background are worth looking for.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I recently re-watched series 3, which was very cleverly constructed (think 'Rashomon'), but not as funny as 1 & 2. Last night's episode was as strong as their best work (i.e. not series 3 or the feature film).

they could have easily made the usual 6 episodes , theres so much to play with character wise, tickets for the live shows sold out in 1 min this morn, why doesn't someone do something about secondary site touting!!!!!!

Edited by graveyard johnny

did the bloke who invented the phrase "one hit wonder" invent anything else?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

theres some more tickets released for leeds now, hopefully they have wised up and are selling them in a way they cant all be grabbed by the wrong hands?

did the bloke who invented the phrase "one hit wonder" invent anything else?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Back to Star Trek, if I can, I liked the first 2 movies, as they were original and well written, as well as the first two "New" ones, the rest are krap.

 

PS, looking forward to Star Wars The Last Jedi at the weekend. Nearly as much as Blade Runner 2047.

Edited by Bleep1673
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Futtocks said:

James Bond films are a very mixed bunch, from the extremely silly to the over-serious, but some are worth the time.

Martial arts films that don't take themselves too seriously can be fun - the best of Jackie Chan's pre-Hollywood output mixes astonishing action and slapstick pretty well.

The first 'Rocky' film isn't bad. Okay, the fight scenes are silly, but there's some good performances otherwise.

Mate: no, just no.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Tongs ya bas said:

Mate: no, just no.

"Martial Arts" is a broad term anyway, it could include movies with fencing, like the Errol Flynn Robin Hood or, perhaps, The Princess Bride.

 

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

"Martial Arts" is a broad term anyway, it could include movies with fencing, like the Errol Flynn Robin Hood or, perhaps, The Princess Bride.

 

No it doesn't : got that?

wallace and grommit is another example of the film makers art that I congratulate myself on managing to avoid

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Tongs ya bas said:

No it doesn't : got that?

wallace and grommit is another example of the film makers art that I congratulate myself on managing to avoid

Thank God for that. I was beginning to feel slightly unnerved by your uncanny ability to mirror my likes and dislikes of TV programmes and music/musicians, it was as if you'd managed to access my TV planner and record collection

I love Wallace and Grommit.☺

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Tongs ya bas said:

No it doesn't : got that?

wallace and grommit is another example of the film makers art that I congratulate myself on managing to avoid

If you've managed to avoid watching (or even spelling) the Wallace & Gromit films, how can you congratulate yourself for avoiding them? The only films I hate are ones I have actually seen and hated.

Hello to Michael Bay, by the way.

  • Like 1

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Some miserable b****** on here , I'm including you Robin in that , as for T Y B , it doesn't surprise me 

As for films , well as it is that time of year , best ever Xmas film ?

Easy , Die Hard 

I'm a fully paid up member of the miserable b'stards society.... I know and accept that.

Die hard my fat ginger wobbly botty

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Some miserable b****** on here , I'm including you Robin in that , as for T Y B , it doesn't surprise me 

As for films , well as it is that time of year , best ever Xmas film ?

Easy , Die Hard 

Its only officially Christmas once Hans Gruber has fell from the Nakatomi building

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...