Football

Watched my first A League grand final, Melbourne City vs CCM

Pleasantly surprised,  good game, and atmosphere and a couple of classy goals.

Edit FT 6-1 to CCM Crickey! Man City stable club walloped.

Edited by HawkMan
  • Like 1

You're not wrong about the eastern districts. While there's not necessarily masses out there for a tourist, for someone like me who's two main passions outside of sport are history and architecture, they are interesting places to just have a wander. The Soviet buildings, particularly the apartment blocks in places like Marzahn, Hellersdorf and Mahlsdorf are certainly fascinating to see. One thing I really noticed when I first starting venturing further out is the visible contrast in East and west styles. Get on the tram in Alexanderplatz and head out to these places and you see the style really visibly change from your ornate apartment blocks to concrete, grey brutalism. Never in another place on earth is the transition so stark and obvious. Gives me goosebumps thinking about it. 

Best way to see this is to wander around Ku'Damm/Wittenbergplatz from Zoo station and then do the same from Alexanderplatz and walk down Frankfurter Allee, they're almost separate countries( the fact they were is pretty clear).

Anyway, best not to disrupt the football, there's a big game on today ( at least it used to be a big game).👍

One final down( A League),  three to go today.

City v United

Celtic v Cally Thistle 

On viaplayXtra  at 7pm German Cup final

Leipzig v Frankfurt

Edited by HawkMan

No problem, I thought. I'll watch City on iPlayer in the Magic Weekend stadium whilst we are being thrashed by Catalans. Did I have enough data? Yes. Could I get a decent signal? NO! Had to make do with very occasional SMS texts from an Arsenal fan darn sarf!

On 04/06/2023 at 08:12, JohnM said:

No problem, I thought. I'll watch City on iPlayer in the Magic Weekend stadium whilst we are being thrashed by Catalans. Did I have enough data? Yes. Could I get a decent signal? NO! Had to make do with very occasional SMS texts from an Arsenal fan darn sarf!

This is not a criticism far from it,  this is a RL forum after all and it's RL first. But, from your previous posts I thought you were a commited City fan ! A real die hard, but no ! No die hard City fan would miss the once in a lifetime possibly all Manc FA Cup final,  live or on tele, and go elsewhere,  even if it's to TGG. 

Edited by HawkMan

1 hour ago, HawkMan said:

This is not a criticism far from it,  this is a RL forum after all and it's RL first. But, from your previous posts I thought you were a commited City fan ! A real die hard, but no ! No die hard City fan would miss the once in a lifetime possibly all Manc FA Cup final,  live or on tele, and go elsewhere,  even if it's to TGG. 

I'm not sure there are that many "die hard" City fans. I've been a "City fan" for more than 60 years and I went for a meal with my wife and friends. Fifty years ago, I remember City fans enjoying a good old laugh at the latest antics of the team. I just don't think City fans are 'tribal'.

I do confess that I now consider myself a Salford fan rather than a City fan. I prefer rugby league to soccer, but I still enjoy it when City win.

• Like 1

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

On 05/06/2023 at 10:21, HawkMan said:

By way of explanation. Rugby league is my sport. Goes far beyond supporting one particular team. Goes back many many MANY years to the late 1950s as I played on the hallowed turf of Station Road (...in the brass band that played at big games beforehand and at half time. 🙂)

Following City started a bit later...and I was a follower, not a fan. However, living in an environment saturated by United sentiment (senior school, local press, etc, ) I rapidly formed the view that it wasn't about the football but about mass hysteria.  Seeing through that, and with grandma and aunty who lived mere streets away from Maine Road, it had to be City. Always was and always will be. I

Certain factors prevent me from going to City games: cost of getting there from where I live, increasing problems with mobility, some priorities higher even than City, Wigan, rugby league. 

• Like 1

I'd just like to add that having everything United rammed down my throat for as long as I can remember, the sense of entitlement of the club,  it's managers, its players, it's fans, the fawning media, all make me vomit. Fergie time was no myth, trust me.  What a great day when Law put them into the second division. 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

• Like 3

For John, I used to want United relegating again and again until they disappeared off the face of the Earth. I'm older now and I realise that, without United, the Premier League would not hold the same interest for a City fan, and vice versa (though the 'entitled' United fans may not realise it!).

Now is our time and I'm going to damn well enjoy it, just as I am enjoying Salford's recent resurgence. 🙂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tonyXIII said:

For John, I used to want United relegating again and again until they disappeared off the face of the Earth. I'm older now and I realise that, without United, the Premier League would not hold the same interest for a City fan, and vice versa (though the 'entitled' United fans may not realise it!).

Now is our time and I'm going to damn well enjoy it, just as I am enjoying Salford's recent resurgence. 🙂

once described as "the noisy neighbour" - now slamming the door in the face of their rivals

Edited by graveyard johnny

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

10 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

once described as "the noisy neighbour" - now slamming the door in the face of their rivals

Not at all.

They just have to work out the combination of the lock.

5 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Rugby League No 1 for me followed by Cricket however i do take the boys to football a few times a year and its great value for the 3 of us (Millwall) 32 pounds but still prefer non league Beckenham Town.

P

I didn't follow football really closely until only a couple of years ago when I could no longer afford a season ticket at Hull and so don't attend RL regularly now and started going to non-league football club Beverley Town instead with my brother who was always a big football fan. I'll always love RL and hope to start attending more regularly again soon but I am really enjoying football these days as well. If I'm honest though, my number 1 sport will always be snooker. 

1 hour ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Rugby League No 1 for me followed by Cricket however i do take the boys to football a few times a year and its great value for the 3 of us (Millwall) 32 pounds but still prefer non league Beckenham Town.

P

This hits a bit close to home for me because I grew up at the other end of Eden Park Avenue! 😲

Does the pitch still seriously slope from right to left?  I can't remember the last time I went to a game.

2 hours ago, bbfaz said:

This hits a bit close to home for me because I grew up at the other end of Eden Park Avenue! 😲

Does the pitch still seriously slope from right to left?  I can't remember the last time I went to a game.

Yes it does and one of the best pitches in non league football.

Great clubhouse now as well and good banter on match days.

I was brought up in Eden Way.

What a small world

Paul

It is a small world.  I last regularly watched them in 05/06.  They had a good manager and a good team at that point but the ground was barely Kent League standard.  They built the foundation for a stand but missed the deadline for ground grading and so gave up on it for a while. I honestly couldn't believe it when they got promotion but I thought it was telling that it happened after they were shuffled over to the Combined Counties League, which I always thought was weaker.

The Europa Conference League final between Fiorentina and West Ham is live on YouTube.

Some loveable East End charmers have been chucking stuff on the pitch, and the game has been stopped to bandage up a Fiorentina player's head after being hit.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

15 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

The Europa Conference League final between Fiorentina and West Ham is live on YouTube.

Some loveable East End charmers have been chucking stuff on the pitch, and the game has been stopped to bandage up a Fiorentina player's head after being hit.

Bad incident that, totally mindless too and unprovoked.

Fiorentina enjoying more possession, but it’s been another forgettable final so far.

Lets hope everyone ups their game in the second half, Hammers fans inciuded.

11 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Bad incident that, totally mindless too and unprovoked.

Fiorentina enjoying more possession, but it’s been another forgettable final so far.

Lets hope everyone ups their game in the second half, Hammers fans inciuded.

TBH, Fiorentina should have walked off and not come back on. I'm not sure how you can play a game when one team's fans are allowed to injure your players.

It will probably be ignored but UEFA should be punishing West Ham such that it wasn't worth them winning the Cup. All group games behind closed doors, that kind of thing.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 06/06/2023 at 12:08, JohnM said:

I'd just like to add that having everything United rammed down my throat for as long as I can remember ...  

John, you're obviously lying and I'm very sorry at having to post this.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2555403-man-in-hong-kong-changes-his-name-to-man-united-dick-law

🤮🤮

😉

Edited by Wolford6

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

8 hours ago, gingerjon said:

TBH, Fiorentina should have walked off and not come back on. I'm not sure how you can play a game when one team's fans are allowed to injure your players.

It will probably be ignored but UEFA should be punishing West Ham such that it wasn't worth them winning the Cup. All group games behind closed doors, that kind of thing.

after the hammers family section was attacked in the semi by "ultras" why would their own fans lower themselves in to committing similar behaviour? and sinking to the same level?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Very quiet build up to the CL final. I know it's free on YouTube, but it feels wrong to be hidden away on BT Sport. Not sure why it isn't required to be on terrestrial TV.

I think there's something interesting about it being in the place with one of the biggest upsets ever. Nothing like history striking twice...