Jump to content

Football


Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, Mr Wind Up said:

Back on topic

It’s time for ifab to change offside law.

If any part of foot is in line with defender it should be onside.

 

What difference would it make either the current system yours or going back to daylight between the players. As it’s a line call wherever you draw the line players will still be called offside by millimetres. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


43 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

What difference would it make either the current system yours or going back to daylight between the players. As it’s a line call wherever you draw the line players will still be called offside by millimetres. 

It'd make a huge difference.

Right now, you have to be completely behind the defender to be on side. 

I'm suggesting that the any part of the foot just needs to be in line with defender to be onside. 

This week alone, it would've resulted in 3 goals being scored that were called offside that I saw. One of them took 3 minutes for VAR to decide it was offside, because the attacker was 1mm infront of defender. 

The benefit should go to the attacking team. 

The point of offside rule wasn't to punish the attacking team. It was to stop cherrypicking. Being 1mm offside doesn't constitute cherrypicking. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Mr Wind Up said:

Vomit inducing opinion from guardian on womens football vs cricket

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jun/10/womens-world-cup-match-breaks-tv-audience-record

I guess whenever 6 nattions is on, RU becomes the nation’s most popular sport.

"This has revived longrunning concerns that, despite the substantial funding provided by Sky’s investment in the rights to show cricket on television, it is undermining the broad appeal of the sport."

How dare this article make the exact point about visibility that fans of cricket have been making for about 20 years.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Mr Wind Up said:

It'd make a huge difference.

Right now, you have to be completely behind the defender to be on side. 

I'm suggesting that the any part of the foot just needs to be in line with defender to be onside. 

This week alone, it would've resulted in 3 goals being scored that were called offside that I saw. One of them took 3 minutes for VAR to decide it was offside, because the attacker was 1mm infront of defender. 

The benefit should go to the attacking team. 

The point of offside rule wasn't to punish the attacking team. It was to stop cherrypicking. Being 1mm offside doesn't constitute cherrypicking. 

That’s the point though you if you set you new offside line as you say in some incidents players will still be 1mm offside. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Mr Wind Up said:

What concerns? 

I have no concerns about womens football getting the coverage it gets. I know fully why it’s getting its coverage, and it has little to do with clicks.

Edit: And of course the Rooney Rule is more PC nonsense. But what annoys me most about it is that British reporters have adopted a name for it straight from gridiron. The Rooney Rule...named after..uh, Wayne? Mick? Oh, some nobody no Brit would recognise. Brill.

And remember folks, in his own words, Sol Campbell is the best mind in football. Just needs to be given the keys to the Bernebeu to show us. 

Sol Campbell would be Prime Minister by now if he wasn't black

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/06/2019 at 11:27, gingerjon said:

6.1m is the reported viewing figure.

And that figure demonstrates how important the BBC is and can be for all sporting competitions.

The BBC has given great support to the WWC, whether rightly or wrongly, but you can't argue against the viewing figures and the BBC's ability to boost them by the quality of its coverage.

Thank goodness the 2021 RLWC is being broadcast by the BBC.

It's our best chance for a breakthrough.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Martyn Sadler said:

We'll know we're making progress when he creates a cartoon on Rugby League.

We'll know he's making progress. Martyn, how could you get it so wrong??

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

the guardian has the least number of sales daily/weekly and monthly compared to all the rest, its left wing bog roll with agendas that are as see through as a window with no glass, I wouldn't worry too much.

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

the guardian has the least number of sales daily/weekly and monthly compared to all the rest, its left wing bog roll with agendas that are as see through as a window with no glass, I wouldn't worry too much.

Isn’t it one of the most read online news websites in the English speaking world though?  

Edited by Gerrumonside ref
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Isn’t it one of the most read online news websites in the English speaking world though?  

no- that's total rl forums

  • Like 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, bobbruce said:

That’s the point though you if you set you new offside line as you say in some incidents players will still be 1mm offside. 

Yes but they will be 1mm infront of the defender, ie daylight, unfair advantage. Not now where we punish for being practically fully inline with defender

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Back on thread... I know, I'm boring, but USA 13 Thailand 0. The poor Thai goalkeeper looked like a 10 year old schoolgirl in that goal.

She made a couple of good saves, genuinely I think she's a decent shot-stopper which is why she's in the goal.

But, Christ, the defence fell apart time and time again. Credit to the USA for never even thinking about letting up though.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Martyn Sadler said:

We'll know we're making progress when he creates a cartoon on Rugby League.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/picture/2016/jun/30/david-squires-on-australian-rugby-leagues-super-league-war

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/picture/2016/may/12/david-squires-on-the-kangaroos-first-tour-to-great-britain-in-1908

(In fairness, his job title is something like "football cartoonist")

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, JonM said:

That's extremely interesting. I hadn't seen it before.

Thanks for posting the link.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, JonM said:

He does a separate cartoon for the Australian edition of the Grauniad called "David Squires on Australian sport", but it is pretty much exclusively Football. There's one in his archive about Australia's code wars, which only mentions the A-League and AFL.

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 Aug 2019

Liverpool v Norwich City 20:00 BST
10 Aug 2019 West Ham v Manchester City 12:30 BST
10 Aug 2019 Bournemouth v Sheffield United 15:00 BST
10 Aug 2019 Burnley v Southampton 15:00 BST
10 Aug 2019 Crystal Palace v Everton 15:00 BST
10 Aug 2019 Leicester City v Wolves 15:00 BST
10 Aug 2019 Watford v Brighton 15:00 BST
10 Aug 2019 Tottenham v Aston Villa 17:30 BST
11 Aug 2019 Newcastle United v Arsenal 14:00 BST
11 Aug 2019 Manchester United v Chelsea 16:30 BST
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another bright idea from UEFA, hold the UEFA Super Cup between Liverpool and Chelsea in TURKEY!

The season's curtain raiser will take place with the Community Shield between Liverpool and Manchester City at Wembley on Sunday, 4 August.

Liverpool and Europa League winners Chelsea will also meet in the Uefa Super Cup in Istanbul, Turkey, on Wednesday, 14 August.

Following that match, Liverpool play their second Premier League match, away to Southampton, while Chelsea host Leicester City.

Wolves could have played three Europa League qualifying matches before the beginning of the Premier League season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Another bright idea from UEFA, hold the UEFA Super Cup between Liverpool and Chelsea in TURKEY!

They announced the location of the Super Cup game months, possibly years, ago.

Next year's is in Porto.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

They announced the location of the Super Cup game months, possibly years, ago.

Next year's is in Porto.

I know. The same as Baku & Madrid. I was being sarcastic. Istanbul in August will be near impossible to get flights & accommodation to at this short notice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • ckn locked this topic
  • ckn unlocked this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...