Football

2 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Then we give away the two most stupid goals you'd ever imagine. 

The players need to realise that sometimes it is totally acceptable to HOOF the ball away from the goal they are defending! 

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

Fine as a principle but not as a stubborn brainwashed we’re gonna do this all the time policy . Every time we started faffing around at the back you were on edge . You need players comfortable doing it , not looking like a mouse is at their feet they’re trying to stand on . You need to have a direction and outlet to play through - and our midfield hadn’t got the control or technique to be that outlet . The defenders were smothered by the Dutch , looked up and there were no outs . Then it’s trouble . Under pressure we looked totally unable to play and retain possession . Hurried , and endlessly gave it away . Midfield is still a huge problem . You could see what was coming from the first few minutes doing this . Brave yes , but need the players formation and a balance . It was just like last year and many years .... bright then we fade alarmingly as an attacking force and give the game up 

3 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Midfield is still a huge problem.

That’s the issue. It was the same in the World Cup. There’s no creativity or ball retention capability in there. So up against top quality opposition, we are found out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

The players need to realise that sometimes it is totally acceptable to HOOF the ball away from the goal they are defending! 

As someone who only really watches internationals, big champions league games and big PL games I've been struck how this messing around at the back has become the norm.

Let's not forget, the penalty we got was from something similar on their side. 

3 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

That’s the issue. It was the same in the World Cup. There’s no creativity or ball retention capability in there. So up against top quality opposition, we are found out. 

This is of course true but I still think what we're seeing is significantly better than what we got used to seeing for 15 years or so. We actually look like we can pass a ball and keep possession without looking like rabbits in headlights. 

I didn't think the Netherlands were particularly good but we were literally an inch away from winning.

In 2016 we were a truly terrible side, there is still cause for hope I think. 

27 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

We actually look like we can pass a ball and keep possession without looking like rabbits in headlights. 

Not last night they didn’t , they gave it away endlessly under pressure and looked devoid of technical control . Secondly possession football is fine but it must have a purpose . To often as the game went like last year we’re passing it back n square without any link or bite getting to the final third . We look fractured between defence , midfield and the front three . Midfield and defence end up on top of each other struggling to break out . I think guys like Maddison Foden will get a chance and finding a central midfield comfy in the ball and able to link and create is the biggest thing this season . Outside of set plays how many chances are we creating in these big games . Big task for Southgate and we didn’t look like we’ve moved on from Croatia in that problem yet . These comps look won from quality midfields 

Edited by DavidM

20 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Not last night they didn’t , they gave it away endlessly under pressure and looked devoid of technical control . Secondly possession football is fine but it must have a purpose . To often as the game went like last year we’re passing it back n square without any link or bite getting to the final third . We look fractured between defence , midfield and the front three . Midfield and defence end up on top of each other struggling to break out . I think guys like Maddison Foden will get a chance and finding a central midfield comfy in the ball and able to link and create is the biggest thing this season . Outside of set plays how many chances are we creating in these big games . Big task for Southgate and we didn’t look like we’ve moved on from Croatia in that problem yet . These comps look won from quality midfields 

We need players who can carry the ball from our half to their half. We haven't had player who can drive forward from midfield with ball since Gazza. Scholes was the nearest and we played him on the wing most of the time.

9 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

We need players who can carry the ball from our half to their half. We haven't had player who can drive forward from midfield with ball since Gazza. Scholes was the nearest and we played him on the wing most of the time.

Aye . We often have industry but not much inspiration as the other leading nations have . I don’t mind Barkley personally , he tries to do this but we need more probably from the younger generation emerging over the next year 

At no point did England ever really look in control of that game in midfield.

The system is right and the attempts at playing a certain way is right, but the personnel is lacking right now.

In international football tournaments it is not enough to catch teams with lightening counter attacks at pace.  At some point you have to be able to slow the tempo down and control the game.

England couldn’t do that last night against Holland.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

48 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I think Jack Wilshere could have been that player, but for his constant injuries.

Maybe Phil Foden will be the one, in the near future.

As for last night, Jon Stones has got to learn this time, or he's going to have to be discarded. That pass to Barkley was ridiculous. You can play it if Barkley has nobody near him, so that he has time to control it and turn, but Stones can see that there's a player closing Barkley down, as well as the player between Barkley and Pickford. Absolute madness to give him a pass there.

Women's World Cup starts tonight with France beating the holy hell out of Korea.

Then some other things happen until the Lionesses play Scotland on Sunday at 5.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

7 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

I assume we lost then ?

59 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Who are the favourites to win the whole thing or is it very open?

I presume the USA are favourites, they usually are. I think there’s about six teams, including England, who think they can win.

• Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

32 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I presume the USA are favourites, they usually are. I think there’s about six teams, including England, who think they can win.

Brazil, Germany and Japan usually show well in women's tournaments too.

• Thanks 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Nice opening ceremony laid on by France for the Women’s World Cup.

First game live on BBC1 between the hosts and South Korea.

Be interested to see if it can help set the tone for the tournament to come.

Flicking between it, the baseball and the rain soaked rugby ... France, as predicted, far far too strong but the key thing for me is how organised they look. They’ll take some stopping.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

How are the Cubbies getting on?

Three up over they who shall not be named.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

England v Switzerland goes to extra-time in a game no-one gives a ff about

I'm enjoying it. I don't care that much if we win or not, but it's still a game of football. It's another opportunity for the England players to play together, which can only be a help long term. I don't really see why some people are so against it. If someone isn't interested, they don't have to watch it. I'm sure the fans out in Portugal are enjoying it.

10 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

Any international friendly? Any pre-season club friendly?

It’s certainly on a par with those - if it has real meaning then why is Pickford taking penalties?

Just hope no-one picks up an injury.

Edit: Yay!  Pickford saves and we pick up the bronze!

Edited by Gerrumonside ref