Football

22 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Pretty standard, in my experience of watching them. They seem to have been the thugs of African Football (men and women) since the 1990 WC.

That game against Argentina in your mind ?!

36 minutes ago, tim2 said:

The decisions were technically correct but the Cameroon "goal" was 4 inches offside. It all took way too long. The ref lost control of the game and ended up disallowing a VAR penalty call for England presumably to keep the peace as it was a clear pen. At least 2 Cameroon players should have been sent off. VAR in its current implementation spoils the game IMO.

Never let it be said that women's football is boring!

It is interesting how with RL, something that should be a force for good ends up causing considerable frustration because of how it is implemented. It seems pretty obvious to me that they need to radically reduce the number of situations it can be used for.

Regardless of whether the decisions were technically right or not (and they were), it doesn't excuse the behaviour of the Cameroonian players. They were threatening to walk out at half-time over allegations of racism. Compare this to a situation like England vs Germany in 2006: a game with far higher stakes, in a far more intense atmosphere and a decision so wrong that I personally have never been as angry during any sporting event before or since. It was a disgrace and people were rightly annoyed but there was never talking of walking off the pitch or anything like that. You also didn't see England players acting like the players in the last minute, committing a clear red-card foul and then the captain screaming at the player on the floor. 

What we saw was something I think we'll see much more of as identity politics continues to take a hold on society. Contentious decisions and contentious games will be seen through the prism of oppression. 

VAR could be the ruin of the English Premier League as an entertainment product overseas.

So much stop and start, it’ll ruin the all action tempo of the average game that has made it so appealing abroad.

All in the name of a ridiculous drive for total accuracy that will forever be denied because of the human factor.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

58 minutes ago, tim2 said:

The decisions were technically correct but the Cameroon "goal" was 4 inches offside. It all took way too long. The ref lost control of the game and ended up disallowing a VAR penalty call for England presumably to keep the peace as it was a clear pen. At least 2 Cameroon players should have been sent off. VAR in its current implementation spoils the game IMO.

Never let it be said that women's football is boring!

I've now seen what I think are all the contentious points. Cameroon should have finished with 8 players and should have had at least a couple of additional cards for dissent. I don't see why VAR was checking that aspect of the Cameroon goal but, obviously, that's technically correct even if it is so far against the spirit of the game as to be obscene. Nothing excuses their behaviour. England should have had a penalty.

Ultimately I think a key problem is that the game management from the referees is not up to scratch. They can't seem to cope with VAR being a debate between them and the video officials - and they also seem unable to control players' responses.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

10 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

VAR could be the ruin of the English Premier League as an entertainment product overseas.

They've already said they won't be checking for goalkeeping 'foot faults' on penalties. I expect we'll see a further tweaking or several soon.

• Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I thought England women played very well today. The best I've seen them play so far this tournament. Hopefully we're hitting some good form at the right time.

Cameroon lost their heads. The decisions were correct. If that's how they behave, I'm glad they're out and on their way home.

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

That game against Argentina in your mind ?!

That was the most remembered, especially their multiple assaults on Claudio Caniggia, but I've heard other players from that tournament say how dirty the Cameroon team was too.

But Roger Milla did a funny little dance when he scored, so the media's condescension levels went through the roof for the plucky losers who didn't get in the way once the real money-spinning knockout matches got going.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

It's like the RFL deciding that they were going to strictly enforce the playing of the ball with the foot and sending every try up to the big screen.

That'd end equally well.

Have we not had that? We usually get three weeks of chaos whenever they try to police something, and then they start ignoring it again in the fourth week.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

That was the most remembered, especially their multiple assaults on Claudio Caniggia, but I've heard other players from that tournament say how dirty the Cameroon team was too.

But Roger Milla did a funny little dance when he scored, so the media's condescension levels went through the roof for the plucky losers who didn't get in the way once the real money-spinning knockout matches got going.

Most overrated World Cup ever, capped off by a dreadful final between West Germany (play-acting) and Argentina (cynical play).

The media fawned over it, but truthfully England were poor.

There was quite a bit of backslapping last week, certainly on FiveLive, saying that there is no dissent in women's football, just in the men's.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

18 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

There was quite a bit of backslapping last week, certainly on FiveLive, saying that there is no dissent in women's football, just in the men's.

Yes. As someone who has watched plenty of women's football over the past decade the "there's no dissent/diving/gamesmanship" line has always amused me.

Well, they beat Brazil eventually, in a match that shames the antics of Cameroon.

The USA are a seriously strong side though, as usual.

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Pretty standard, in my experience of watching them. They seem to have been the thugs of African Football (men and women) since the 1990 WC.

In fairness they have won 3 African cup of nation titles since then, including the most recent. 

I'd agree they are physical but that's part of their style of play. 

13 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Most overrated World Cup ever, capped off by a dreadful final between West Germany (play-acting) and Argentina (cynical play).

The media fawned over it, but truthfully England were poor.

Best World Cup Ever! ? 

But only because the 19 year old me was there! *Great memories!!! ? 

*with the exception of the penalty shoot-out. 

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

I was genuinely shocked by the behaviour of the Cameroon players. I've never seen anything like it, good riddance to them. And well done to England for maintaining their professionalism in the face of that farce.

2 hours ago, wilsontown said:

I was genuinely shocked by the behaviour of the Cameroon players. I've never seen anything like it, good riddance to them. And well done to England for maintaining their professionalism in the face of that farce.

See if you can find film of Racing Club v Celtic or Chile v Italy in the 1962 World Cup, they made yesterday's game look like a pre-season friendly !

10 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

See if you can find film of Racing Club v Celtic or Chile v Italy in the 1962 World Cup, they made yesterday's game look like a pre-season friendly !

• Haha 1