Jump to content

Football


Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Despite the behemoths of Liverpool and the two Manchesters, Football in the Northwest has taken a bit of a battering, with Macclesfield, Stoke, Bury, Bolton and Wigan Athletic all having various crises recently.

Glass half empty. 

Glass half full - Burnley,  remarkable job by Sean Dyche,  Everton,  James Rodriguez signing,  good few years for Fleetwood,  Accrington and Salford . Though I don't expect the Neville brothers to be smiling at 10.15 tonight. 

Edited by HawkMan
Link to comment
Share on other sites


8 hours ago, Route66 said:

Just watching match of the day ,what a joke VAR is,everything scrutinised totally spoiling the flow and enjoyment of the game,I'm glad I only get out and watch non league football. 

Understand completely. Why let sticking to the rules get in the way, eh? 

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.

Isaac Asimov

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

Understand completely. Why let sticking to the rules get in the way, eh? 

For me VAR sums up the problems at the top of the ,tv and money are everything, it wouldn't be too bad if they got all the decisions right at the end of it. Watching sport is all about the action in real time, be it football or rugby, the ref is in charge and you take the decisions as they come. With regard to tv coverage did anyone watch last week's fa cup live game on bbc ,no action replays ,no time for washed up pundits to argue the toss of which way a throw should go,just the game shown in its entirety with minimal commentary, fantastic stuff. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Route66 said:

For me VAR sums up the problems at the top of the ,tv and money are everything, it wouldn't be too bad if they got all the decisions right at the end of it. Watching sport is all about the action in real time, be it football or rugby, the ref is in charge and you take the decisions as they come. With regard to tv coverage did anyone watch last week's fa cup live game on bbc ,no action replays ,no time for washed up pundits to argue the toss of which way a throw should go,just the game shown in its entirety with minimal commentary, fantastic stuff. 

 

 

Bring back leather laced fottballs and jumpers for goalposts, smoking in the stands and goalies with rickets. Now that's REAL soccer!

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.

Isaac Asimov

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Route66 said:

Just watching match of the day ,what a joke VAR is,everything scrutinised totally spoiling the flow and enjoyment of the game,I'm glad I only get out and watch non league football. 

I agree with you in the sense there’s no room for common sense at all . Not saying that’s right or wrong , but at times it seems robotic and lacking in empathy to the game . The handball rule has got ridiculous in so many instances , and the keeper having one foot literally an inch off the line - with the game actually stopped to go back to it , seem a tad unpalatable really . But this is where you go with technology . Once it’s there it creeps further and further in until it’s running your game . I think the same about watching lower league rugby to be honest . I’m home by quarter to five and you spend days arguing about the decisions till next match 

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I agree with you in the sense there’s no room for common sense at all . Not saying that’s right or wrong , but at times it seems robotic and lacking in empathy to the game . The handball rule has got ridiculous in so many instances , and the keeper having one foot literally an inch off the line - with the game actually stopped to go back to it , seem a tad unpalatable really . But this is where you go with technology . Once it’s there it creeps further and further in until it’s running your game . I think the same about watching lower league rugby to be honest . I’m home by quarter to five and you spend days arguing about the decisions till next match 

I think a lot of people didn't realise that the Premier League only really introduced a 'light' version of VAR last season. They tried to not have to put in the full version - the one that those of us who saw it introduced at the Women's World Cup in 2019 looked at in horror. However, they have been leaned on (I think by UEFA) to standardise with the full on version.

The referees have no room for manoeuvre here. They have to implement the rules to the letter.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I think a lot of people didn't realise that the Premier League only really introduced a 'light' version of VAR last season. They tried to not have to put in the full version - the one that those of us who saw it introduced at the Women's World Cup in 2019 looked at in horror. However, they have been leaned on (I think by UEFA) to standardise with the full on version.

The referees have no room for manoeuvre here. They have to implement the rules to the letter.

Indeed , I think that’s right . I was thinking about the women’s World Cup furore watching the De Gea incident 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The rules are there. They are clear. Wrong, but clear.

A ball blasted full tilt at short range towards a player. The brain can't think quickly enough to make a premeditated decision to handle the ball. But a penalty is given.

We either accept that those are the rules and if you cop for one its unlucky, 

Or... you apply a subjective decision of intent.... which is in turn open to all manner of criticism.

I watch barnsley and partick. Neither are troubled by VAR.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

FA Cup Qualifying round 1 this week, a selected, personal round up of scores....

Bedfont Sports 3-1 Lewes (Lewes is a lovely town)

Chatham Town 3-2 Southall (Southall is a great place for a curry)

Chertsey Town 0-0 Leatherhead Chertsey win 5-4 on pens (Chertsey was one of my 1st agency jobs)

Hastings Utd 0-0 Chesham Utd (I live here) Hastings 6-5 on pens

Leiston 5-1 Biggleswade T ( My ex wife lived in Leiston)

Little Common 0-3 Corinthian Casuals (I hate Little Common, just the other side of Bexhill, such a sterile town)

Margate 1-2 Hayes & Yeading (I used to live close to Hayes FC)

Radcliffe 5-3 Workington (My uncle used to live in the street behind Radcliffe's ground)

Whitby Town 1-1 Warrington Rylands (I remember playing for Irlam Hornets at Rylands) Rylands win 4-3 on pens

 

Edited by Bleep1673
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

FA Cup Qualifying round 1 this week, a selected, personal round up of scores....

Bedfont Sports 3-1 Lewes (Lewes is a lovely town)

Chatham Town 3-2 Southall (Southall is a great place for a curry)

Chertsey Town 0-0 Leatherhead Chertsey win 5-4 on pens (Chertsey was one of my 1st agency jobs)

Hastings Utd 0-0 Chesham Utd (I live here) Hastings 6-5 on pens

Leiston 5-1 Biggleswade T ( My ex wife lived in Leiston)

Little Common 0-3 Corinthian Casuals (I hate Little Common, just the other side of Bexhill, such a sterile town)

Margate 1-2 Hayes & Yeading (I used to live close to Hayes FC)

Radcliffe 5-3 Workington (My uncle used to live in the street behind Radcliffe's ground)

Whitby Town 1-1 Warrington Rylands (I remember playing for Irlam Hornets at Rylands) Rylands win 4-3 on pens

 

Little Common play at The Oval in Eastbourne now.

Amusingly, Sidley United now play at Little Common.

  • Confused 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 20/09/2020 at 13:38, JohnM said:

That the problem with introducing technology into the game. It was the same when they invented the whistle.

I presume that came after the.... no I won't say.

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

An FA Cup quirk.

Hastings have just been drawn away Ebbsfleet.

If the match was in Hastings then a crowd of 400 would be permissable.

The maximum allowed crowd in Ebbsfleet is ... 0.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

BBC Breakfast this morning did a piece on gambling awareness, and suggested 10 of the 20 premiership clubs were sponsored by betting firms, in their graphic they included Aston Villa, whose shirt sponsors are actually CAZOO who sell cars on line. Another piece of wonderful BBC research into the truth!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

BBC Breakfast this morning did a piece on gambling awareness, and suggested 10 of the 20 premiership clubs were sponsored by betting firms, in their graphic they included Aston Villa, whose shirt sponsors are actually CAZOO who sell cars on line. Another piece of wonderful BBC research into the truth!

They must sell a lot of cars they sponsor Everton

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

BBC Breakfast this morning did a piece on gambling awareness, and suggested 10 of the 20 premiership clubs were sponsored by betting firms, in their graphic they included Aston Villa, whose shirt sponsors are actually CAZOO who sell cars on line. Another piece of wonderful BBC research into the truth!

Indeed. Villa have been sponsored by bookies for the past three seasons but not this.

So only nine out of 20 this year.

I think it's 12/22 in the Championship.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...