Tetley’s Challenge Cup semi-final details confirmed

If we are to put the game on a solid financial footing games like this offer a great marketing opportunity. David v Goliath, challenge the neutrals in Yorkshire to adopt the Broncos as honorary Yorkshire and play the game at Leeds or the KC.

So, you want to ###### off both sets of fans and play the game in Yorkshire?

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. You'd have to change in Manchester or Liverpool, potentially Warrington as well to get to Newton.

Euston to Warrington Bank Quay, then the train from Bank Quay to N-le-W.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Can I quote you on that during the next P&R debate?

Yes you can. I have long argued on here that the RFL need to be more commercially astute and have never argued for 'fairness to fans'.

Some fans live in an idealistic bubble where real life practicalities seem to pass them by.

Last week on one forum (can't remember if it was this one) I saw some people arguing that if Catalans got through then their semi-final should be played in France. That would have been absolute commercial suicide had it happened.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Go to your station and ask. I wanted to travel from Leeds to Salisbury the other week. I looked on Trainline - £65 ew. Went to City Station, Leeds - £113 for the entire journey -£17 saving.

Yep! Don't ever use trainline - it's a rip off

Last week on one forum (can't remember if it was this one) I saw some people arguing that if Catalans got through then their semi-final should be played in France. That would have been absolute commercial suicide had it happened.

Only because there's a ridiculous two-week gap between fixtures. If the gap between QF and SF was closer to that between R5 and QF you could quite easily get a big crowd in France. Particularly if they'd drawn London, far in excess of what they'd get elsewhere.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Yes you can. I have long argued on here that the RFL need to be more commercially astute and have never argued for 'fairness to fans'.

Some fans live in an idealistic bubble where real life practicalities seem to pass them by.

That's a bit different from playing it in London. For once, the RFL had a chance to help out a club that is dying on its a**e by giving them a high profile fixture on their doorstep.

If the RFL had come out and said, we are going to play this game at the Stoop, the reasons are (a) it will increase the profile in London, b, it will recognise the good development work done in London and c) it will help out a club that is really suffering at the moment and give their long suffering fans a day in the sun.

Who on earth would have denied them that? They would have got 7-8k, it would have been a good news story (maybe even in the local London press) and Wigan would still have got to Wembley. As a game we are so narrow minded in is untrue.

.... And there is merit in that. The thing that's missing is communication. Whoever made the decision needs to do the grown up thing & explain to the London fans why they did it.

The approach you describe is almost excluding some London fans by inflating their travel costs. That's just plain wrong

Only because there's a ridiculous two-week gap between fixtures. If the gap between QF and SF was closer to that between R5 and QF you could quite easily get a big crowd in France. Particularly if they'd drawn London, far in excess of what they'd get elsewhere.

I'm not talking about the crowd they may have got.

We have recently persuaded Tetley to come back to the game as a major sponsor and put in a decent amount of cash for the challenge cup rights. What do you reckon their response would be if the RFL said to them "we are going to play one of the semi-finals in a country where your product can not legally be advertised so there'll be no pitch markings, hoardings or other advertising of your product on the TV coverage" ?

That's a bit different from playing it in London. For once, the RFL had a chance to help out a club that is dying on its a**e by giving them a high profile fixture on their doorstep.

If the RFL had come out and said, we are going to play this game at the Stoop, the reasons are (a) it will increase the profile in London, b, it will recognise the good development work done in London and c) it will help out a club that is really suffering at the moment and give their long suffering fans a day in the sun.

Who on earth would have denied them that? They would have got 7-8k, it would have been a good news story (maybe even in the local London press) and Wigan would still have got to Wembley. As a game we are so narrow minded in is untrue.

I'm not sure the RFL would have the power to make that decision. Is it not set in stone that CC semis are neutral venue.

I'm not sure the RFL would have the power to make that decision. Is it not set in stone that CC semis are neutral venue.

Doesnt have to be the Stoop. Could have been anywhere in London.

And Scubby, you said "Who on earth would have denied them that?" - I'm sure this forum would have gone into meltdown by now with furious 'flatcappers'! 

According to National Rail Enquiries, it is going to cost over £100 to get from here (South Essex) to Wigan on a day return. No idea what it will cost getting from Wigan to Leigh. Then have to get back to Wigan for last direct train at 8:15. No idea how manageable that is.

Fortunately looking at Google it costs about £2.48 petrol to get there from Wigan or a massive £3.28 from Widnes.

The last train back from Manchester is 20:35. This may allow you to catch a slightly later train. It might even be cheaper. For reference, Leigh is only a few miles further away to Manchester than Wigan. A taxi at night will only take 30mins. Can you book them from the local hotel on the lsv site?

Really not sure why there is so much drama over being on one of the most watched TV channels in the UK, right before one of the most watched TV programmes in the UK.

Everybody has an EPG on their TV these days, and BBC2 is on page 1 of all of them.

Of course, if it was also on during prime time, everybody would be moaning about the late kick off...

Not really so much drama - I think only I mentioned it.

It is symptomatic of the treatment of the sport by the BBC more than anything. Along with their refusal to show the SL Show nationally at a normal time.

I'm not talking about the crowd they may have got.

We have recently persuaded Tetley to come back to the game as a major sponsor and put in a decent amount of cash for the challenge cup rights. What do you reckon their response would be if the RFL said to them "we are going to play one of the semi-finals in a country where your product can not legally be advertised so there'll be no pitch markings, hoardings or other advertising of your product on the TV coverage" ?

Hull seem to have got round the no alcohol advertising in France thing - maybe the RFL should speak to them.

Hull seem to have got round the no alcohol advertising in France thing - maybe the RFL should speak to them.

A small logo on the shirt is a bit different to prominent advertising on and around the pitch for your title sponsor !

A small logo on the shirt is a bit different to prominent advertising on and around the pitch for your title sponsor !

I'm sure it's not legally, but I was being mischievous.

Magners actually got a lot of coverage, every close up on a Hull player showed it.

The last train back from Manchester is 20:35. This may allow you to catch a slightly later train. It might even be cheaper. For reference, Leigh is only a few miles further away to Manchester than Wigan. A taxi at night will only take 30mins. Can you book them from the local hotel on the lsv site?

A 30-min taxi will cost him a small fortune. Leigh is not the best place for this game in my opinion.

You'll be gutted if it runs to extra time. 30 mins may be a little optimistic given how busy the roads could be with so many humbles taking the horse and cart out for a spin.

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

If this was the case then expect a MASSIVE FINE from the ministry the last time this happened (Football match) the federation and club were handed down a 200K fine .

The sports ministry vets all TV matches the following week and will go ballistic when this comes out:)

CM

WHO GETS THE FINE? ( . ) ( . )

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

Just posted about this the ministry vets all TV matches a week or so afterwards,it is under french law the federation and home team that have to monitor this.

Last fine was 200K when a foreign soccer team broke the rules i expect it will be more for this as france is skint and they love to enforce the laws.

Heads  are going to roll over this in a couple of weeks and the Dragons will be spitting blood with Hull FC.

CM

If hull get fined, I'd kick Catalans out of the challegne cup!!

Just posted about this the ministry vets all TV matches a week or so afterwards,it is under french law the federation and home team that have to monitor this.

Last fine was 200K when a foreign soccer team broke the rules i expect it will be more for this as france is skint and they love to enforce the laws.

Heads  are going to roll over this in a couple of weeks and the Dragons will be spitting blood with Hull FC.

CM

Wouldn;t the organisers of the event be fined - would thie be an RFL event?

Archibald I would be happy to upset Wigan fans, I was hoping to get 5000 of their crowd to a neutral stadium and at least 5000 Yorkies renown for their love....sorry dislike for the big Red Rose teams.

The fact is the RFL have shown their total disregard for Broncos fans. If it is all about money why not just rig the cup draw to maximise the crowds at each game by starting with Derby games.

Forget the magic of the Challenge cup.

On what channel was the game televised in France?

Anyone else think Canetman will be the first to snitch to the French authorities?