Book thread: what are you reading?

Kenneth Grahame - The Headswoman. A short story by the author of 'The Wind in the Willows', set in the 16th Century. Beautifully-written and funny, but the free Kindle edition is the worst-formatted and edited eBook I've yet come across. Still, well worth a read.

Edited by Futtocks

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

31 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I haven’t . Last one was Moscow and St Petersburg . Really hits you when you go to these places 

The war on the eastern front was on unbelievable in vastness, manpower and brutality.

• Like 1

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

Wasnt when the battle was going on was it !! 

No, I'm not quite that old. A friend of my Dad was there though for the Battle. He used to tell me stories about the disaster, and how he was treated as a P.O.W.

1 hour ago, jacksy said:

Was it a Market Garden battlefield tour? 

Not an official one. I was in Netherlands and I found myself in Appledorn, next train was Deventer, then it turned into a self exploratory tour. Like when I visited my Great Uncles grave at Tyne Cot at Passendale. That was chilling.

Edited by Bleep1673
Accuracy
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

No, I'm not quite that old. A friend of my Dad was there though for the Battle. He used to tell me stories about the disaster, and how he was treated as a P.O.W.

Pretty well was it with an eye to the future and possible war trials with the way things were going ? Although the SS units were a law unto themselves , even the army often wanted little to do with them 

Police by Joe Nesbo, book ten in the Harry Hole series. It's unusual in that I'm on page 120 and as yet Harry although mentioned occasionally has yet to become part of the story, non the less it's gripping stuff?

21 hours ago, DavidM said:

Pretty well was it with an eye to the future and possible war trials with the way things were going ? Although the SS units were a law unto themselves , even the army often wanted little to do with them 

They nearly starved to death. The Germans had very little food, and we're stealing from the Dutch once they became cut off from their own supply lines, and had very little for POW's

Just found this thread as I seldom visit this section of the forum.

I am a fairly big historical fiction fan, so waiting in anticipation for Bernard Cornwell's new Saxon Chronicles book to see what Uhtred is up to now he has finally reclaimed Bebbanburg (Bamburgh), I have a feeling that he will play a pivotal role in Aethelstan's battle at Brunanburh where he becomes Englaland's first king.

Pretty miffed I've had to wait an extra year while he released a vanity project in Fools & Mortals, which was the only book of his I couldn't finish.

While I wait though I'm reading Giles Kristian's (fastly becoming as good as Bernard) new one Lancelot. It's certainly one of those books you can't put down, and an interesting interpretation of the Arthurian legend, again up there with The Warlord Chronicles. If you're into this genre I'd certainly recommend his Raven saga and the Rise of Sigurd too, which way round you read them will give you a different perspective of the characters.

Another fantastic series is Angus Donald's Outlaw series, very sad at the end though.

Something completely different (still fiction) is Frank Tayell's, Surviving the Evacuation series. It is set after a zombie apocalypse but it is not farfetched and written in a very real way, of how things would actually happen (within reason) it's more about how the human race would survive a disaster like this, with some political thriller in the back ground, tis very good.

Also the wonderful Sir Terry Pratchett, nothing else to add there.

Historical fiction? Ever read any of Mary Renault's books? I'd definitely recommend the two Theseus books, 'The King must die' and 'The Bull from the Sea'.

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

This is an excellent read, and just packed with anecdote and information.

51pAP7EMo7L._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

17 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Historical fiction? Ever read any of Mary Renault's books? I'd definitely recommend the two Theseus books, 'The King must die' and 'The Bull from the Sea'.

I've not no, not read much Greek / Roman stuff to be fair. Although I've just read Geraint Jones' debut novel Blood Forest (Based on Rome's ill-fated war against the Germanic tribes) which I enjoyed so I'll probably give it  a go.

11 hours ago, DavidM said:

James McGee Hawkwood series . Bit like Sharpe only as a bow street runner

Anything that is Sharpe / Hornblower esq. will definitely interest me, so I may give it a go. The early Police Force could be an entertaining setting.

15 minutes ago, Yorkie44 said:

I've not no, not read much Greek / Roman stuff to be fair. Although I've just read Geraint Jones' debut novel Blood Forest (Based on Rome's ill-fated war against the Germanic tribes) which I enjoyed so I'll probably give it  a go.

Anything that is Sharpe / Hornblower esq. will definitely interest me, so I may give it a go. The early Police Force could be an entertaining setting.

Very good . First book RATCATCHER is the best in my opinion . Cheap now on Amazon , real swashbuckling mystery adventure in the midst of the Napoleonic wars

David I'll have a look into it, my favourite Bernard Cornwell standalone book is Gallows Thief (fantastic book) which is set just after the Napoleonic Wars about a sort of Private Detective so much in the same vein. I'll probably jump on to them when I've finished Lancelot.

On 6/20/2018 at 2:57 PM, DavidM said:

I haven’t . Last one was Moscow and St Petersburg . Really hits you when you go to these places 

I was working in Moscow a few years ago and went into the Kremlin (amazing that you can just turn up and walk round) and one of the very striking things is that all through the communist era, they kept the Orthodox churches inside. There is one church in particular where Stalin & the communist leadership went to pray, at the point where the Germans were less than 20 miles from Moscow

• Like 1

On 6/20/2018 at 4:16 PM, Moose said:

Police by Joe Nesbo, book ten in the Harry Hole series. It's unusual in that I'm on page 120 and as yet Harry although mentioned occasionally has yet to become part of the story, non the less it's gripping stuff?

I've read all the Harry Hole books and never been disappointed.  Outside of the Hole series The Son is a great book

• Like 1

In the blink of an eye it could all be taken away.  Be grateful always.

22 hours ago, Yorkie44 said:

I am a fairly big historical fiction fan, so waiting in anticipation for Bernard Cornwell's new Saxon Chronicles book to see what Uhtred is up to now he has finally reclaimed Bebbanburg (Bamburgh), I have a feeling that he will play a pivotal role in Aethelstan's battle at Brunanburh where he becomes Englaland's first king.

Waiting for the latest Uhtred book too. I read books about 'real' history most of the time, whatever that means, but always read the latest Cornwell  when it comes out.  The man is an absolute natural storyteller. 

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

15 hours ago, DavidM said:

James McGee Hawkwood series . Bit like Sharpe only as a bow street runner

Never heard of it, looked it up and read the reviews, all of which were very good. 

Now I will have to get the first book in the series and have a read.

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

1 hour ago, Exiled Townie said:

Waiting for the latest Uhtred book too. I read books about 'real' history most of the time, whatever that means, but always read the latest Cornwell  when it comes out.  The man is an absolute natural storyteller. 

I totally agree there, fantastic at telling a tale and as I advocated before Giles Kristian is quickly catching him up.

3 hours ago, heartofGold said:

I've read all the Harry Hole books and never been disappointed.  Outside of the Hole series The Son is a great book

I have a copy of The Son waiting to be read, I only buy books second hand and usually have a healthy stock of good reads waiting to be picked up and opened.

I've managed to find copies of nearly every book written by my favourite authors over the years, there's a vast amount of used books out there often available for very little money. I even managed to find a copy of the first Harry Hole book, The Bat in a charity shop in  Majorca ( I don't think it had been translated from Norwegian until more of Nesbo's books became successful )

Finally in Police Harry becomes part of the story, on page 202.

5 hours ago, Moose said:

I only buy books second hand and usually have a healthy stock of good reads waiting to be picked up and opened.

Where I work we have 45-50 staff.  Those of us who read always bring in the good ones and leave them in the staff room for others to take and recycle.  Luckily many of us are crime readers so there's always a good selection.  I have Amazon Prime which offers a good selection of free downloads every month and have joined a few libraries across the UK for e-books.  If you join more than just your local library you get more chance of getting the most popular books.  They are easy to download and you get 21 days to read a book all for free.  I got the latest Jo Nesbo from the library while it was still in hardback on the shelves in the supermarkets!

On 6/22/2018 at 9:08 PM, heartofGold said:

Where I work we have 45-50 staff.  Those of us who read always bring in the good ones and leave them in the staff room for others to take and recycle.

We used to that when I worked as Agency staff in theatres, people would put their name & date they started it inside as though to say "I was here" more than hoping to get the book back. One day I turned up at a new hospital that I had never worked in before, and found two of my previous books there, with about 5 other names in spread over 3 years. They stopped the practice as management thought it an infection risk.

27 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

They stopped the practice as management thought it an infection risk.

We haven't gone that far yet with the staff books but all the kids books and toys have gone from the waiting room for the same reason sadly.