Wakefield Stadium Update

Looks like the new stadium isn't going to happen, according to Sky.

Is upgrading Belle Vue their only option now? There's a bit of land behind the Doncaster Road stand IIRC, could that not be a more viable option? Maybe move the pitch up a bit so they can build a stand on the opposite touch line?

The other option being discussed, according to Sky, is playing games outside of Wakefield. What options so they have their? Barnsley? Doncaster? Rotherham? Leeds?

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

The previous administration at Wakefield made a big mistake by refusing point blank to consider a ground share with Cas.  They didn't need to merge; just to play out of the same venue, thus saving both clubs considerable funding problems.  There was never going to be a day when one local authority would sanction two stadia in their own borough, not even before the events of 2008.  Wakefield don't own their ground so they have nowhere to go unless they rent from someone else so they should still be thinking of joining forces with Cas should the ground they are applying for actually come off.

Just reading a few of the updates on the fans forum on RLFans.  Feel really sorry for those fans as it sounds like they have been right royally shafted!

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

The previous administration at Wakefield made a big mistake by refusing point blank to consider a ground share with Cas. They didn't need to merge; just to play out of the same venue, thus saving both clubs considerable funding problems. There was never going to be a day when one local authority would sanction two stadia in their own borough, not even before the events of 2008. Wakefield don't own their ground so they have nowhere to go unless they rent from someone else so they should still be thinking of joining forces with Cas should the ground they are applying for actually come off.

IF the Cas ground comes off, there will be a 12k capacity stadia with bags of character available in the WAkefield district.

Could Wakey find a couple of million to buy Wheldon Road? (at least it's not ground share!) ;)

The previous administration at Wakefield made a big mistake by refusing point blank to consider a ground share with Cas

It really wasn't. Any share with Cas would decrease the pathetic crowds even further. Additionally, although it's looking likely there is still no new stadium in Castleford. Also that's assuming the developers of five towns park are a little more trust worthy than the developers of Newmarket.

Cas are waiting for rubber staming at Parliament that after the election then we can move forward.

I guess a few Trinity fans said the same many years ago, now it is Cas fans expecting a private company to give them £10m quid.

I guess a few Trinity fans said the same many years ago, now it is Cas fans expecting a private company to give them £10m quid.

Indeed, I don't think lightening will strike twice, especially not now as it the WMDC leaders club who's directly affected, but I'd beware developers promising the world for what seems to be nothing.

Looks like the new stadium isn't going to happen, according to Sky.

Is upgrading Belle Vue their only option now? There's a bit of land behind the Doncaster Road stand IIRC, could that not be a more viable option? Maybe move the pitch up a bit so they can build a stand on the opposite touch line?

The other option being discussed, according to Sky, is playing games outside of Wakefield. What options so they have their? Barnsley? Doncaster? Rotherham? Leeds?

A new stadium was never going to happen, and neither is a major upgrade of the ground.

Wakefield have playing this game with the RFL for over 15 years and still the RFL let them get away with it.

A new stadium was never going to happen, and neither is a major upgrade of the ground.

Wakefield have playing this game with the RFL for over 15 years and still the RFL let them get away with it.

I doubt that the people who have put in hours and hours of time and effort over these last 20 years, doing their level best to get a ground sorted, have enjoyed "playing this game".

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

The Newmarket development was given the go ahead after been called in by SOS as long as community stadium was built. The developer is now trying to bypass the stadium and our inept council seem to be letting them.

Surely the SOS should be the one to enforce it then?

Peter Box has got better things to do like watch his 86 cup final dvd ;)

The Newmarket development was given the go ahead after been called in by SOS as long as community stadium was built. The developer is now trying to bypass the stadium and our inept council seem to be letting them.

The council may very well be inept but it's the cunning council leader who's pulling the strings.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

The development plans include for the new stadium and all the assessments (such as the traffic model) have included for a match day. Might still be a bit of bluff from the developer to try and push through their plans but if they suddenly drop the stadium from their plans once they get approval there will be some serious questions to answer, and it would certainly jeopradise their ability to get permission for further developments in the area. 

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

1) The development plans include for the new stadium and all the assessments (such as the traffic model) have included for a match day.

2) Might still be a bit of bluff from the developer to try and push through their plans but if they suddenly drop the stadium from their plans once they get approval there will be some serious questions to answer, and it would certainly jeopradise their ability to get permission for further developments in the area. 

1) the same was true for the Wakey development

2) that doesn't seem to have bothered Yorkcourt/Newcold

I guess the developer would weigh up whether or not they're likely to get another £10m of profit from future developments in the area.....if not then there's nothing to stop them from welching on the agreement and saving themselves the bother and expense of building that ground

1) the same was true for the Wakey development

2) that doesn't seem to have bothered Yorkcourt/Newcold

I guess the developer would weigh up whether or not they're likely to get another £10m of profit from future developments in the area.....if not then there's nothing to stop them from welching on the agreement and saving themselves the bother and expense of building that ground

The Cas one is a retail development, which may make a slight difference in that would retailers want to invest significant amounts of money in a development that had alienated the community and a big chunk of its potential customers base?

1. Wakefield fans petition incumbent board to take forward work on a new stadium.

2. Wakefield apply for first-stage planning permission and release computer-generated images of people walking around the shiny new ground

3. Very first stages of planning permission granted. Wakefield put out press release confirming funding is in place.

4. Wakefield fans say that, for the first time, the bid is being put together by people who know what they're doing and this time it is serious.

5. Long pause.

6. It is confirmed that the plans have fallen through.

7. Rumours abound that Wakefield will be kicked out next time the SL structure is up for review.

And then it all starts again. And again. And again.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

A few years ago the rfl should have taken on both stadiums, built a 15k stadium somewhere in the district and had them both share, using that stadium for RFL events and made money from it. Probably wouldn't have even cost much as the sale of Wheldon road and belle vue would have brought a fair amount in.

Wouldn't ever happen though as RL is a hotbed of vested interests

The Cas one is a retail development, which may make a slight difference in that would retailers want to invest significant amounts of money in a development that had alienated the community and a big chunk of its potential customers base?

true....and I suppose, if lightning were to strike twice, at least Cas fans would have a means of expressing their anger - by boycotting the retail park altogether

true....and I suppose, if lightning were to strike twice, at least Cas fans would have a means of expressing their anger - by boycotting the retail park altogether

Yep providing enough Cas fans had the mindset to do something about it boycotting etc! would be a decent medium of putting pressure on.

Archived