London Broncos: Really happy with our new signings

Happy to say....and surprisingly I'm looking forward to the new season. Hendo's made some really good signings, really impressed with the recruits and strength of the squad.

We're gonna have a lot more experience and balance in the team this year and not just a team of players from the under 19's who are thrown into first team football too early.

It really depends on how this new team gels whether we'll be challenging for SL or not. But with this team there should be no excuses.

Rumours are that we'll be signing Israel Eliab from PNG Hunters which would be an awesome signing. Strong runner of the ball, I was hoping and expecting more of an organiser to be signed at half back but he looks like a real exciting X factor type player. A cross between Stanley Gene and Leon Pryce.

The other players who can make an impact are Stapleton and Mark Ioane.

Andy Ackers, Jack Bussey and Eddie Battye can flourish in a full time environment.

The great thing about our signings is that the players are bigger, more robust and have a wider and more varied skillset. Several players there like Bussey and Ioane have great offload games and Ackers will give us much needed speed at the ruck and compliments Cunningham well.

Will be very interesting to see how the team develops and how we match up to teams like Leigh, Bradford, Sheffield, Halifax and Featherstone.

I think we are slipping under the radar. After the abysmal effort of last season when a FT squad failed to compete in a really tough Championship, we are now a year wiser and a squad that seems to be more adept to compete. We have moved on some of the wasters and I think we are one good half back and possibly a centre short of a very good squad.

Will be very interesting to see how the team develops and how we match up to teams like Leigh, Bradford, Sheffield, Halifax and Featherstone.

We've been here before. I'd love to see us competing for a chance to get back to SL but let's see how we get on. We were 5 wins (well, 4 and a heap of points difference away from 4th last time, so we not only need to beat more teams, we need to be far more savvy in defence and far more ruthless when winning!

I'm picking us to make the 4........which is an improvement, but not enough to get back to SL.

We've been here before. I'd love to see us competing for a chance to get back to SL but let's see how we get on. We were 5 wins (well, 4 and a heap of points difference away from 4th last time, so we not only need to beat more teams, we need to be far more savvy in defence and far more ruthless when winning!

I'm picking us to make the 4........which is an improvement, but not enough to get back to SL.

My stance is that the talent is now there, there can be no excuses. It's really down to the capabilities of the coaching team now.

Tbh though I dont have too much optimism in that area, I just think it was a bit too soon for Hendo.

Why do we always go for unproven, unsuccessful and inexperienced coaches?

That's half the problem in my view. Like you I'm going for 3rd or 4th, I don't think any Championship team will be able to compete and get into SL though.

I agree, making the four is, or definitely should be, the aim for a big club like london. Truth is, under the current system, there is an enormous, and many would say 'unbidgeable', gap bwetween 'making the four' and actually making a serious challenge for SL. Given the new deal given to the SL clubs, the financial gap has also just widened considerably.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31337109@N03/

Why do we always go for unproven, unsuccessful and inexperienced coaches?

Powell was the start of a slippery slope........stop gapped with Rea, who was then replaced with a bloke recommended by a player who whilst good, was not the person we needed making recommendations to our owner given nobody in the NRL wanted to deal with his issues (which have apparently surfaced again) and who was replaced by a player with little experience but buckets of passion who relied on his own skills on the park to get us wins and who saw us lose when he didn't play!

Given the new deal given to the SL clubs, the financial gap has also just widened considerably.

So long as our owner continues to feel ashamed and guilty about what he did to the club at the end of 2013, he'll bankroll us to the limit, so the funding in SL isn't too much of an issue. I don't believe the ability to spend more is that much of an advantage either as it's doubtful that Wakey were anything like near the cap last year. 

London Broncos spent to the cap last year and failed miserably. As I understand it, there is a 3 year plan in place which Mr Hughes has agreed to [warning] he agreed to a licence for 2014 but nearly reneged on that [warning] so maybe there is a belief that they can get themselves into a position by which the million pound game is the target before 2018........although I think that the damage done at the end of 2013 will never be repaired!

Lost all faith in Hughes following his club`s destined relegation from Super League due to his handling of

matters prior to that particular season starting. Add to that all the nonsense that I had witnessed in previous years.

Cant see much changing to be honest as it has a losing culture running through its veins. 

I genuinely wish Hendo and the players well despite my gloomy post.

Subject to Visa processing, Israel Eliab appears to have signed.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hello Broncos fans, can you tell me how Barthau went last year?

He was injured for three quarters of the season. When he returned he done ok but didn't set the world alight. He was very hot and cold some games he played well others not so but again I think he will benefit from having an off season free from injury.

My view is that he needs to get used to the fact that he's the leading half back at a club which he's never had before. At Catalan he was a squad player, this season will be critical for him but I think he's got bags of ability and will have a great season.

He was injured for three quarters of the season. When he returned he done ok but didn't set the world alight. He was very hot and cold some games he played well others not so but again I think he will benefit from having an off season free from injury.

My view is that he needs to get used to the fact that he's the leading half back at a club which he's never had before. At Catalan he was a squad player, this season will be critical for him but I think he's got bags of ability and will have a great season.

Agree with all the above but would add, his kicking game is/was awful and this needs huge improvement. I have no idea of the merits of Scott Leatherbarrow but I hope he is to standard and offers Barthau challenge. Similarly, Eliab and Keyes vying for stand off spot.

As far as I am aware the squad is now finalised, all players in pre season, with Ioane expected this week, and Eliab, subject to visa, plus Offerdahl will be playing for the US in the next few weeks. This is a good position.

The real dross from last year has gone and with any luck the current mob will settle unlike Luke Adamson and not want to go back to mummy, and we wont have idiots like Foran and the prop who legged it early in the season.

London have a decent solid 17. The problem for London is, if they miss a couple of players through injury/suspension, how they go. The likes of Halifax, Dewsbury, Featherstone, Leigh, Bradford have a better and stronger squad. I think all the teams have strengthened from last year and think London will struggle to make the 4. 

London have a decent solid 17. The problem for London is, if they miss a couple of players through injury/suspension, how they go. The likes of Halifax, Dewsbury, Featherstone, Leigh, Bradford have a better and stronger squad. I think all the teams have strengthened from last year and think London will struggle to make the 4. 

Sorry, but I dont agree.

You could pick a very strong 17 - Kear, Williams, Naiqama, Stapleton, Macani, Eliab, Barthau, Slyney, Cunningham, Offerdahl, Harrison, Garside, Lovegrove - Ackers, Thackeray, Ioane, Battye ...... and still have in reserve young guys who competed well last year Wallace, Everett, Hellewell, works in progress Keyes, Davis, Walker and guys used to this level Leatherbarrow and Bussey

The point I would make is that now with a coach used to the rigours of Championship RL as opposed to the Super League, the London Broncos side are more capable of competing at this level. And lets not forget the pitch at Ealing Trailfinders which will warrant a thread or two from outraged 'Cappers used to one out rugby on a mud heap - sorting the men out from the boys so to speak....

The difference in playing styles and conditions is massive, its noticable that London's best performance last year was against a Leigh side every championship fan was telling me was a Super League side in waiting, and thuis was true to the extent that Leigh played a syle of rugby more suited to the style London expected to play

The choice of pre-season friendlies is also more realistic with an Aboriginal XIII first up, the reserve grade taking on Skolars and the first grade travelling to Dewsbury who had the wood on the Broncos last year,.as opposed to Catalans away, a first grade hammering a poor Skolars side and Dewsbury away whe nthe  scales dropped from many an eye about Grima's complete inability to coach.as the hapless former St George video analyst looked ready to blub post game

The club struggled through last season with loanees, and I have to laugh when I read on here this was all part of a vast RFL conspiracy as loanees do nothing to build cohesion within a team as anyone involved in a team sport would know, Injuries to key players which of course did not help and the tough ask of disposing of players unwanted by the coaching staff. One such rumour recourted to me (from a very respectable source) being that our benefactor offered to buy out Ben Farrars contract at the end of 2014 but this Farrer rejected staying until his contract expired at the end of the 2015 season.

Things looking up off the part with the current back office staff creating a degree of openess between supporters and the club not seen since the Lenaghan-Hogg era but I can't help feeling this is all six years too late.

There are a few negatives I could add but as this is a positive thread, I will leave the "codswalloop" to others.....

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

Interesting about the Aboriginal XIII, hadn't heard that - they travelling all the way from OZ for the match? They playing any other games too? Be interested to see who's in the team, can't imagine NRL players would be

The answer to your question

First up is a home fixture at our new home Trailfinders Sports Club on Saturday 23rd January 2016, 6.45pm kick off against touring indigenous side Yowies Rugby League. The Yowies were established just over 20 years ago in Newcastle, NSW. They were set up to encourage and provide indigenous people the opportunity to participate in sport and support a variety of sports from Rugby League, touch rugby, cricket, golf and netball.

The Rugby League team has competed in various tournaments in Australia over the years and played exhibition matches. A number of high profile NRL players have represented them over the years. It is likely the touring team this year will feature a number of Australian indigenous players from the local Newcastle competition which is a strong NSW country RL division, players from the NSW Cup and Queensland Cup competition as well as former NRL stars Timana Tahu, Nathan Meritt amongst others being mentioned

.http://www.londonbroncosrl.com/news/pre-season-friendlies-announced/

Satursday - Great

6.45pm kick off in Ealing - how does one hand clap....

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

There are a few negatives I could add but as this is a positive thread, I will leave the "codswalloop" to others.....

It's hard to gauge exactly where we are as a team on the pitch, because we've all seen videos of tough training sessions and the bonding sessions before only to be totally let down once the season starts I agree that we should be better prepared than last year, purely because we know what's coming, but I still have my doubts about a coach who got most of his wins last year when he was playing and whose side looked rudderless when he wasn't.

Off the pitch, the shambles continues.

After boldly announcing that the shirts would be out by Xmas, they've literally left it to the last minute with the only way to get your hands on one being to turn up on the open day in Ealing on Monday December 21st......we announced the Kappa deal on September 10th....so 14 weeks to take delivery of replica kit?

Plenty more "codswallop" but enough for now...

Off the pitch, the shambles continues.

After boldly announcing that the shirts would be out by Xmas, they've literally left it to the last minute with the only way to get your hands on one being to turn up on the open day in Ealing on Monday December 21st......we announced the Kappa deal on September 10th....so 14 weeks to take delivery of replica kit?

Plenty more "codswallop" but enough for now...

Slightly unfair the current mob have some good ideas but just do not execute them well - one example was the London Broncos at the fan zone at Olympic Park. Instead of having a Broncos  tent / trestle table and free fixture cards. They sort of shuffled off to loiter around in the far left hand corner next to the Try Rugby League area in the cold and drizzle..

Its a low profile club for a low profile sport down here, IIRC it was Dave Hadfield that recalled the greeting Andrew Henderson got at the Olympic stadium along the lines of "g'day mate have not seen ya in a while what have ya been doing".."coaching the London Broncos" such is the indignity of life in the deep south.

So Kappa is not exactly catering for a mass market down here and rejoice in the fact that the club is keeping its promise to bring out the revamped version of last years shirt just in time to make Santa's sled.

Anyway better having back off staff who actually like Rugby League. A quality sorely lacking since Nic Cartwright's days with the likes of Mr Blanchard treating the club as Mcjob until something more to his taste came along such as a post at The Lensbury. Or are you advocating the return of Gus Mackay.. :O

George Orwell

Or are you advocating the return of Gus Mackay.. :O

wash your mouth out with soap and water. :angry:

The General Manager is learning on the job. The head of Commercial is using companies he owns to deliver services to the club and the "marketing" body they hired is essentially a tele-sales agent cold calling companies in the local yellow pages.......whilst anything is better than THIS, it's still a shambles. The head count last year was the lowest of the top 24 teams and I really don't see that changing, so commercial revenue will be about 150k on the gate and the same in residuals and after we've spent the TV money, Uncle Dave footing the bill....and when Uncle dave is gone, the club will fold.........a far far different scenario than was possible if Uncle Dave had employed the right people.

Archived