So why are Aussies better coaches?

Or to be more precise have a better success rate than UK coaches.

Weren't the same things being discussed when David Waite was coach about nurturing UK coaches and we're back at square one.

All top English sports asides from soccer has an Aussie coach, that tells you something.

I don't think any current OZ coach has a higher win % than McDermott or Wane.

Also, as an OZ, I didn't say OZ coaches were better, the thread-starter did.

One obvious difference in RL is that I think NRL clubs have more cash and thus, better facilities, plus larger player pools to work with.

I don't think any current OZ coach has a higher win % than McDermott or Wane.

Also, as an OZ, I didn't say OZ coaches were better, the thread-starter did.

One obvious difference in RL is that I think NRL clubs have more cash and thus, better facilities, plus larger player pools to work with.

So why are most national sporting coaches in the UK not British?

So why are most national sporting coaches in the UK not British?

I don't follow any other British sports so I don't know. In OZ we import lots of coaches. Our diving and gymnastics squads import Chinese coaches. Our basketball teams mostly have former US college coaches. OZ NRL teams have had Mal Reilly and Graeme Lowe. Even the Wallabies coach was born in Lebanon.

What makes anyone good at anything?  Natural ability, work ethic, education, opportunity, support from their coaches in their developing years, necessary facilities and support.

I don't know the list of coaches for other top English sports, I do know:

Cycling is British (do well in Olympics and world championships)

Soccer is British

Their are good candidate coaches for Rugby of both codes but the official bodies obviously think the one's chosen are better.  Pressure for success means they go for the perceived best in a global world rather than promote good local coaches. We, the fans and media hunger for success puts that priority to the fore.

There's just more opportunities to learn your trade in Oz

In RL certainly but definitely not in RU or cricket. As redjonn said, cycling is still British despite a considerable popularity in OZ. Other common sports like Netball, Tennis, and Swimming haven't seen the same drift of OZ coaches, AFAIK.

brian mcdermott should be england coach his record is unrivalled with the rhinos

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1455957_262746450543197_276002364_n.jpg

Grass roots culture in sports.

Attitude that there is no prize for second.

Australians do not see close scores, well played or nearly wins as anything more than a loss.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

the dream team for england would have been mcdermott as head coach with darrell powell as his assistant 

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1455957_262746450543197_276002364_n.jpg

Grass roots culture in sports.

Attitude that there is no prize for second.

Australians do not see close scores, well played or nearly wins as anything more than a loss.

More or less true. I've been on Brit RL forums since 606 was still alive and I can tell you one cultural difference: Aussies seem to have a much clearer idea of the difference between pro sport and blokes running around on the weekend just to stay fit and have a bit of fun.

The notion of towns like Haven and Town having "professional" teams is laughable. My city has 300,000 people in a RL heartland and we only play in Sydney 3rd Division.

With regards to Bennett being appointed, he is a coach who is pretty much universally acclaimed as being the best in the business. I'd love an english coach but none have a cv like Bennett. It's a bit like man city taking guardiola over pelegrini, who has done very little wrong but the bottom line is guardiola will most probably be better. No one will care where the coach is from if we win the 4 nations or the world cup.

Ideally I'd like to see him working with mcdermott, the two of them seem to have similar personalities and I think they would be a good team. Mcdermott to take over after the world cup.

"surely they've got to try somthing different now, maybe the little chip over the top?2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stufod/

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stuarts-photography/156268557729980

the dream team for england would have been mcdermott as head coach with darrell powell as his assistant 

No it wouldn't. You've simply named the two you think are best and second best English coaches. What makes you think two very strong personalities would work well together in a team? I assume you remember the Evans/Houllier debacle. Powell wouldn't play second fiddle to McDermott. A good assistant would be someone young and up and coming willing to take the opportunity to learn fro the head coach whilst contributing to the head coaches sessions and planning.

Regards Aussies coaches being better, that's surely subjective as there is very little comparison at the moment. All of our top 4 last year were coached by Englishmen. 6 of the top 8 were English. Brian Smith, Tim Sheens and Tony Smith had fairly poor records last season. There are no English coaches in the NRL. Its a ###### assumption to say aussie coaches are better at this moment in time.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

Being a quality club coach and being a quality rep coach are two different things. A club coach will have a wider ange of experience and standard of player. He will also daily see his players and be able to spend far more time on areas the team and players need to work on. He can spend months working on some things. A Rep coach will have usually outstanding players who he gets to spend a few hours a year with. He will basically just have time to sort a few moves and a framework he wants them to play with. A bit of teamwork in someway and thats about it. Craig Bellamy said it blew him away how different coaching Melbourne and NSW was. Its a completely different situation. Mcdermott and Powell are excellent club coaches. But that does not mean they would be straight away top rep coaches. Bennett also had a few issues when Rep Coach before. 

Trent Robinson's summing up of tonight's game against Cunninghams view

pretty much sums up why they are better.

Maybe but your assumption is that the likes of McDermott, Wane, Anderson, Powell, and so on wouldn't have explained the situations similarly.    They of course coach possible relatively less capable players squad v NRL squads.

I'm not saying Trent isn't a better coach than any British coach just that why assume others couldn't have seen and explained the situations too.  

Wayne Bennet said "Great players make their coach great not the other way around"

In other words its easier to be a great coach if you start off with great players.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Wayne Bennet said "Great players make their coach great not the other way around"

In other words its easier to be a great coach if you start off with great players.

In Wayne Bennett's case that is certainly true.

In his days of winning lots of comps he had the majority of the Queensland State side playing for his Club.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

And who produces great players?

Head coaches at an elite level are often man managers, facilitators and strategists. They also are members of a wider staff..

You would hope that by the time a player reaches a 1st team, he knows the fundamentals. Therefore, the role of a head coach is to ensure that the club (not team) has a culture in the mould of the head coach / clubs values; tactically and strategically.

Bennet for example often is cited as a father figure. Just a quick point further to this, i think the best head coaches always have their players go on to coach.. Ferguson, Robson, Bielsa etc etc in football, Bennett, Noble (to a certain extent) in RL..

In regards to who produces great players specifically, i think the answer lies in the technical coaches. Looking at this from a pyramid perspective, we don't have an abundance of really good coaches at the lower levels - in schools, young amateur clubs etc. In comparison, i'm sure Aus/NZ do... you only have to live there to understand that most adult males can pass a ball.. contrast that to the UK.

The answer to all our problems isn't going to be found at the elite level, here you just see the symptoms of the ills that underpin the elite. We improve by improving the foundations.. Just like any organisation. Anywhere.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

Archived