Rant thread

On 28/06/2019 at 19:48, gazza77 said:

Going to use public toilets when you're busting for a slash, only to find there is a 40p charge and a huge barrier to prevent sneaking in. Not much use when you've only got a £10 note. 

Seem to remember last time I was at Kings Cross the bogs were a quid to get in and there were machines for changing your notes. Just a long line of people dancing while they tried to negotiate the wonders of modern technology in order to get the right coinage. I remember thinking I'd rather wazz myself than pay so much! Bloody South! We'd never charge so much for people's bodily functions up ere! 

22 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Seem to remember last time I was at Kings Cross the bogs were a quid to get in and there were machines for changing your notes. Just a long line of people dancing while they tried to negotiate the wonders of modern technology in order to get the right coinage. I remember thinking I'd rather wazz myself than pay so much! Bloody South! We'd never charge so much for people's bodily functions up ere! 

What? Have you got sanitation up there now?

• Like 1

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

35 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Top tip for Kings Cross - take a very short walk across the road to St Pancras station, where access to the toilets is free.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'm all for regional accents on TV but things have gone too far.

Recent prog from Hampton  Court Palace. WTF is a  plarnt?  It's a PLANT . P...L...A...N....T

And it's Winson CASTLE, not, I repeat NOT Windsor CARSTLE !

Edited by JohnM

Runners. Not all of them, but the ones who are increasingly infesting busy streets in cities. Yes, I know you want to show off your expensive and risible "go faster" kit and the even more expensive electronic toy strapped to your upper arm that tells you that you are running, but you're a menace to pedestrians most of the time, and also traffic when you swerve onto the road because - guess what? - a busy pavement contains lots of people.

If you were really serious about fitness instead of narcissism, you'd take a route round the back streets. Less busy, and you'd cover more distance in your quest for that six-pack.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, JohnM said:

I'm all for regional accents on TV but things have gone too far.

Recent prog from Hampton  Court Palace. WTF is a  plarnt?  It's a PLANT . P...L...A...N....T

And it's Winson CASTLE, not, I repeat NOT Windsor CARSTLE !

Someone on tv the other day talked of a person eating a Cornish Parstie .... and another who was reporting from Damarscus . Where do all these phantom ‘r’ s in words come from . Grass and bath have got about three r’s in . Should talk proper down south like us up here 

Edited by DavidM

15 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Runners. Not all of them, but the ones who are increasingly infesting busy streets in cities. Yes, I know you want to show off your expensive and risible "go faster" kit and the even more expensive electronic toy strapped to your upper arm that tells you that you are running, but you're a menace to pedestrians most of the time, and also traffic when you swerve onto the road because - guess what? - a busy pavement contains lots of people.

If you were really serious about fitness instead of narcissism, you'd take a route round the back streets. Less busy, and you'd cover more distance in your quest for that six-pack.

Literally any news report on tv from anywhere on the planet will have eponymous jogger running in background . If they did one from the North Pole there’d be a jogger running past . And why do they never actually look like they’re enjoying it or it’s doing them any good . But it keeps water bottle sales going ... by the way that is the biggest con in the history of history 

On 01/07/2019 at 09:58, Shadow said:

This board, specifically the Personal Responsibility and Jeremy Corbyn threads.

They've descended into old folk whining about the youth of today, in my day we saved tuppence a fortnight to be able to afford a turnip at christmas. The music these days, call it music? It's just swearing and shouting. Eee it were all fields round here when I were young. Aren't policemen getting young these days. What's that you say? Half past seven. 

Missing all of these cos they're posted by all those I have on ignore.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

35 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Literally any news report on tv from anywhere on the planet will have eponymous jogger running in background . If they did one from the North Pole there’d be a jogger running past . And why do they never actually look like they’re enjoying it or it’s doing them any good . But it keeps water bottle sales going ... by the way that is the biggest con in the history of history 

Jogging's another matter. That's just piling up future pressure on the NHS from people who damaged their joints doing a version of running that isn't natural - crashing down on their heels and sending violent impulses through their knees and hips. Anyway, the inventor of jogging died of a heart attack while jogging, so if you can't learn a lesson from history, Darwinism takes over and finishes the job.

The modern urban runner is travelling faster and with less consideration for others, which makes him more of a hazard, and the look of intense self-worship on their faces makes me want to push them under a bus.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

Jogging's another matter. That's just piling up future pressure on the NHS from people who damaged their joints doing a version of running that isn't natural - crashing down on their heels and sending violent impulses through their knees and hips. Anyway, the inventor of jogging died of a heart attack while jogging, so if you can't learn a lesson from history, Darwinism takes over and finishes the job.

The modern urban runner is travelling faster and with less consideration for others, which makes him more of a hazard, and the look of intense self-worship on their faces makes me want to push them under a bus.

I don’t run for many obvious reasons, mainly because TV tells me that my chances of finding dead bodies is very high if I go out running.

• Haha 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Was in the car yesterday and a woman totally immersed in her phone just walked off the pavement right across the road . We had to brake and she was still oblivious . Never even looked up ! Amazing how many people are in this bubble with mobile phones 

5 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Was in the car yesterday and a woman totally immersed in her phone just walked off the pavement right across the road . We had to brake and she was still oblivious . Never even looked up ! Amazing how many people are in this bubble with mobile phones 

I can't even emphasise enough just how often this happens when I'm riding my bike around, at least once every time I'm out. As you say, they just step out without looking and don't even notice at all when you grind to a halt inches from them. So ignorant. There are so many people killed crossing main roads in Hull cos they haven't looked and get hit by a bus or whatever. Happens often enough that you'd think people would be more careful but I guess finding out what their friend is having for dinner on Facebook is more important than, you know, being alive...... 

10 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

...but I guess finding out what their friend is having for dinner on Facebook is more important than, you know, being alive...... 

“But they went to THAT new restaurant and they're living "their best life" and if I can't live better than "their best life" what's the point of living?“

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

10 hours ago, DavidM said:

It's a nice little earner: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/jun/18/woman-knocked-down-while-on-phone-wins-payout-from-cyclist

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

13 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Parkrun in [redacted town]. Talk beforehand from the race director. "Not sure how to put this but we tell you every week it's not a race. Last week, a parkrunner not only didn't get out of the way of a woman with a pushchair but he managed to knock her over and then yelled at her whilst she was on the ground."

Voice from the group: "Oh, that was [name forgotten]. He's a [very rude word for lady parts]. I've told him if he comes back here, I'll deck him."

Applause from entire group.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

13 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Parkrun in [redacted town]. Talk beforehand from the race director. "Not sure how to put this but we tell you every week it's not a race. Last week, a parkrunner not only didn't get out of the way of a woman with a pushchair but he managed to knock her over and then yelled at her whilst she was on the ground."

Voice from the group: "Oh, that was [name forgotten]. He's a [very rude word for lady parts]. I've told him if he comes back here, I'll deck him."

Applause from entire group.

If it's not a race why do they go to great lengths to not only publish who finishes where but who was the first in each age group etc

On 06/07/2019 at 19:14, Futtocks said:

The strap around the arm is more likely for music or some other form of audio.

We criticise people for exercising (runners, cyclists) and we criticise people for not exercising.

The only bit I'll agree with you on is that running around a city centre is actually a bad idea. I remember seeing a video of McGregor going for a run in NY and he had to stop every 100m to wait for the lights.

Fuel duty and vat. Currently,  you pay 58 pence fuel duty on each litre of fuel you buy, and then 20 percent VAT on the cost of the fuel including the fuel duty.

However, if you are well-heeled enough to own say a Tesla at some outrageous price, you  don't pay any of that tax. 

Why should the majority of car owners subsidise the rich virtue signallers? 

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

Fuel duty and vat. Currently,  you pay 58 pence fuel duty on each litre of fuel you buy, and then 20 percent VAT on the cost of the fuel including the fuel duty.

However, if you are well-heeled enough to own say a Tesla at some outrageous price, you  don't pay any of that tax. 

Why should the majority of car owners subsidise the rich virtue signallers? 

You pay VAT on electricity.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Yes, indeed, but I'm still ranting at how the ordinary motorist is paying people to ##### around in their overpriced "look at me, aren't I good" toys. What will any govt do to replace the fuel duty that is lost when we are all driving Teslas? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

The strap around the arm is more likely for music or some other form of audio.

We criticise people for exercising (runners, cyclists) and we criticise people for not exercising.

The only bit I'll agree with you on is that running around a city centre is actually a bad idea. I remember seeing a video of McGregor going for a run in NY and he had to stop every 100m to wait for the lights.

Nothing wrong with the exercise part of it; it is the choice of some to charge along the busiest streets that show a special kind of self-absorbed idiocy.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I think I've mentioned algorithms before but it's come up again. YouTube has been getting so much flak from media about its recommendations that it keeps tweaking its "recommended" algorithm to the point where, within 6 months, only cat videos will ever show up in your feed. I just watched a video of an overgrown backyard where someone had introduced about 10 goats and then time-lapse videoed over 6 days. (In my defence, I am a former goat owner who has used goats for cleanup duties.) I've never watched a goat video before on YT and I've never watched anything from that channel.

The video was uploaded in 2014 on a channel started in 2007 and 97% of their total views have come in the last 4 days when for some reason YT finally decided the World was ready for the goat video. Every second comment is about how people can't believe the randomness of this video appearing in their feeds over the last couple of days. There's even a guy from Somalia who had it come up in his feed.

They've banned, restricted and demonetised so many videos and channels that they'll end up with nothing left. They've banned history videos that had Nazis in them - certainly cuts down on the time taken to study WWII.

The biggest loser in all this would be the person who posted the goat video. It has over 3.3 million views but all in the last 4 days so they wouldn't have had time to join Google Adsense and make their material available for monetisation. This could have cost them anything up to $100K in lost income.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

I just watched a video of an overgrown backyard where someone had introduced about 10 goats and then time-lapse videoed over 6 days.

I was recommended the same video.  Now if YouTube could recommend one of mine then I might retire early.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

5 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

I was recommended the same video.  Now if YouTube could recommend one of mine then I might retire early.

But are you cleared for Google Adsense? Otherwise you get nothing.  My most-watched vid has 10K views over 10 years but it's only monetised because one of the big music publishers lodged a claim on it.

9 hours ago, JohnM said:

Yes, indeed, but I'm still ranting at how the ordinary motorist is paying people to ##### around in their overpriced "look at me, aren't I good" toys. What will any govt do to replace the fuel duty that is lost when we are all driving Teslas? 

Applaud at the huge savings in healthcare from the removal of all the direct pollutants in our town centres, and recognise that they're probably still in net positive revenue out of it.  Happy to help.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"