Who has already been signed to play for Toronto next year?

Manfred Mann

How's it getting sold over there?  The chance for C1 teams to know what it's like to play in front of thousands?

Out of morbid curiosity, how many folk over there intend to perhaps buy a shirt, head out to a game or two and pull for the Wolfpack?

I'd love to come over for a game. I was over in Toronto last year, when we were visiting my wife's family who are a couple of hours north of the city. It's likely to only be if it fit around other commitments as/when we visit again, but it would be fantastic to come over and support Fev over there, assuming they end up in the same competition at some point.

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd go with the Hemel angle...

Out of morbid curiosity, how many folk over there intend to perhaps buy a shirt, head out to a game or two and pull for the Wolfpack?

There'll be at least 81 at the Hemel game as I'll be there cheering on Toronto in my Canada U19 shirt!

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

What, to Keighley or Hunslet?  I meant following the Wolfpack over there.  It's a bit of a commute for the regular fan over here I know, much that I miss the pleasures of Cougar Park and the wonderful aroma of the sewage works.  Not sure which was worse. ;)

I think for Toronto its easier to promote games against teams in the Championship 1 than the Championship. Canadians will not care about how good teams are. But I think the Wolfpack promoting games against London, Newcastle, York, South Wales, Oxford (Cities/Towns that Canadians have heard of) will be alot easier to promote, than games against, with respect Featherstone, Batley, Dewsbury, Swinton, Oldham which most Canadians have never heard of! If they beat these big city teams it will help increase the profile and supporter base and make marketing games against small towns easier.

I have no idea why Leigh fans are so obsessed with Toronto. So they have signed a few Leigh players? Is that a crime? Have they tapped players up? Probably but then so have Leigh. Leigh will be in SL next year and so neither Paul Rowley or Toronto have damaged Leigh in anyway. Toronto is not costing Leigh or any club or the RFL any money. They are being brash and building a quality side. They will have a couple of Canadians signed up and they will learn heaps of players like Beswick, Fleming, Bussy etc. I wish Toronto all the best and good on them and if they upset a few people then good as the game needs to have some changes in it in my opinion. If British teams cant compete then so be it and maybe an American team will join in the future. I just feel that Rugby League will be a real winner with Toronto and some fans and others need to look at the benefits rather than the negatives Toronto will bring.

I want Toronto to succeed, I want Canadian RL to flourish and USA to follow suit. Our sport is made for their culture and I would love to see press/media exposure regarding Vichy France, how RL was banned in the armed forces etc in UK and what is happening all over the world with RU doing their utmost to kill the sport. This will get them fired up.

What happened at Leigh was disgraceful but it didn't kill us, and we rammed it up em in the end. Hope Paul fails miserably is replaced and Toronto go from strength to strength afterwards

I'll try and make a game or two next year, the ones near London anyway. I like what you guys are doing, and think it could be very good for the sport as a whole (while upsetting a few people along the way!).

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

I want Toronto to succeed, I want Canadian RL to flourish and USA to follow suit. Our sport is made for their culture and I would love to see press/media exposure regarding Vichy France, how RL was banned in the armed forces etc in UK and what is happening all over the world with RU doing their utmost to kill the sport. This will get them fired up.

What happened at Leigh was disgraceful but it didn't kill us, and we rammed it up em in the end. Hope Paul fails miserably is replaced and Toronto go from strength to strength afterwards

STOP MAKING IT ALL ABOUT LEIGH YOU BITTER TWISTED SOUL BE HAPPY WITH WHAT YOU HAVE GOT NOW THAT ROWLEY COULDNT DELIVER

For someone who doesn't know the signed players- is Toronto likely to be competitive next year? Likely stars on the team?

Pretty much all the players they've signed should be way too good for the league they're in. To be honest they could probably fill out the rest of the squad with local guys and still come close to winning the league, but I believe they have another 7-8 more experienced players to come. I'd expect them to go the year unbeaten and be as dominant as Toulouse were this year, if not more so.

How's it getting sold over there? The chance for C1 teams to know what it's like to play in front of thousands?

I would buy merchandise and I'm in Warrington. Toronto could become my second team, and I cant wait for all the hype surrounding the team to have a positive effect on the game in N America.

Not been on here for ages, but have to say it saddens me that the only thread I feel compelled to add anything to is this one because as per usual I am reading posts that say ALL Leigh fans have negative opinions of Paul Rowley and Toronto.

Well I personally think it's great and wish them all the best in the future - a good clean team with a true team spirit

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

Not been on here for ages, but have to say it saddens me that the only thread I feel compelled to add anything to is this one because as per usual I am reading posts that say ALL Leigh fans have negative opinions of Paul Rowley and Toronto.

Well I personally think it's great and wish them all the best in the future - a good clean team with a true team spirit

......only Paul Rowley......:)

Here we go again .....

I think amm is right on the money and would like to reiterate her best wishes to Toronto.The only issue us leigh fans have is with the condescending holier than thou mr Rowley who seems to suffer from a contradictory condition,but as has been pointed out before,this is a thread about Toronto,lets get behind them and hopefully,watch them become a success.

How's it getting sold over there?  The chance for C1 teams to know what it's like to play in front of thousands?

Definitely planning to go to some games over here - especially if they don't clash with my own team, and given the number of times we've payed on Thursday and Fridays this season I suspect they won't.

And a couple of us are giving serious consideration to a Toronto city break that includes a match.

Definitely planning to go to some games over here - especially if they don't clash with my own team, and given the number of times we've payed on Thursday and Fridays this season I suspect they won't.

And a couple of us are giving serious consideration to a Toronto city break that includes a match.

Check the late availability lists I guess.  There are plenty of places to stay, from the cheap to the extremely expensive.  Toronto is a great city with loads going on, loads to see and only an hour and a half to Niagara Falls as well.

Another article on Saturday's Wolfpack tryout, this time the Toronto Star, one of the major city tabloids.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/amateur/2016/09/25/rugby-wolfpack-chasing-speed-across-three-countries.html

Looks like they'll be doing a NFL-style training camp. Not sure why other teams don't do this TBH, nor why they don't scout the USA for talent, there are literally hundreds if not thousands of guys like Gaddis out there.

Check the late availability lists I guess.  There are plenty of places to stay, from the cheap to the extremely expensive.  Toronto is a great city with loads going on, loads to see and only an hour and a half to Niagara Falls as well.

If it is against York that weekend you might get a game. Bring your boots.

Archived